FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: turtle receipes  (Read 7354 times)

fishermantim4

turtle receipes
« on: Aug 19, 2011, 04:33 PM »
so me and a buddy have a few turtles that we recentl harvested. all are roughly 8lbs to 10lbs. we have heard of just frying the meat, and also making turtle soup.

does anyone have some receipes we can try.

"there's no fish in this ditch!"

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
Re: turtle receipes
« Reply #1 on: Aug 19, 2011, 07:59 PM »
My uncles used to batter and fry it, but honestly I would rather eat belly meat from a carp. All the snapper I have eaten was putrid and strong. I guess some guys eat it yet, but I would have to be dang hungry before I touched it again!

I hear those things really get loaded with mercury and other bad stuff too.

H.T.

• I AM PROUD TO BE AN *OPPORTUNIST*
« Reply #2 on: Aug 19, 2011, 08:16 PM »
My uncles used to batter and fry it, but honestly I would rather eat belly meat from a carp. All the snapper I have eaten was putrid and strong. I guess some guys eat it yet, but I would have to be dang hungry before I touched it again!

I hear those things really get loaded with mercury and other bad stuff too.
yep we are getting some nice perch up here. take those things and throw them in the weeds  ::) ::) ::) even the coyotes wont eat those things  :sick: :sick: :sick: 8)

WildOutdoorAddict

• Get the net!
« Reply #3 on: Aug 19, 2011, 08:28 PM »
I'd sooner lick the mud off of their shells than eat the meat.. :sick: :sick:

backwoodswalker

« Reply #4 on: Jun 17, 2013, 10:23 AM »
Gonna revive this oldie. I catch turtles (snapper) all the time. The big secret to them is keep them alive.  Take them home and put them in a plastic kids wading pool. According to size of turtles you can usually keep 2 or 3 per pool. Put fresh water from your hose in there about 4 inches deep with turtles in it. This water will get filthy quick. I change the water twice a day for 3 days. You will see the difference in the water as well as smell. After a week the turtles will be clean. Dispatch them and clean them however you do it. Usually we use our fish seasoning and pan fry. Sometimes we make turtle soup. They are smelly dirty animals when you catch them, Just have to clean them up.  Delicious to eat.  Steve

JiggerMan

• Man do I love Fishing
« Reply #5 on: Jun 20, 2013, 08:23 PM »
steve your right on about the care of the turtle pre-processing.  I opened this thread and seen those fresh turtles withe the heads lopped of not being cleaned first I thought exactly wht the next couple of guys wrote. 

Turtle is great so many ways....  soups of sorts, grilled, kabobs, panfried deep fried you name it i have liked almost all of it. 

two things i do different.  1 I let them soak for two weeks instead of one.    2............ I hang them by there tails to drain the blood from the critter after the head is either off or has a hole in it. 

fishermantim4

« Reply #6 on: Jun 20, 2013, 10:02 PM »
Going to try the turtles again this summer and try letting them clean out thānks for the advive
"there's no fish in this ditch!"

joefish1

« Reply #7 on: Jun 21, 2013, 05:12 AM »
Years ago we cut the heads off and let them hang to drain blood for a day then cleaned them.  After cleaning them up we froze the meat before making soup or anything else.  The freezing seemed to tenderize the meat.

backwoodswalker

« Reply #8 on: Jun 21, 2013, 10:24 AM »
Jiggerman; Around here our lakes are pretty clean, so 1 week works. know this sounds bad but, We lay their heads across a oak block holding by the tail. They usually stick their heads out, if not tease them with a  stick till they do. I lop the head off with a machete. Hatchet, axe or whatever will work too. Pretty much just like a chicken. Take a twine and hang from tree to bleed out. I just split the shell around circumference and the rest is self explanatory. I remove all skin from meat.  I take the top of shell and set it out in woods and let the bugs clean it up. Apply a good coat of laquer or clear coat and it  makes a neat conversation piece. My local school has 3 in their classrooms on exhibit. I feel bad when I find one full of eggs though. I do not not know how to tell the difference between male and female.   Steve

Boomer

« Reply #9 on: Jun 30, 2013, 10:52 PM »
When I use to keep turtles, I enjoyed them either in a soup with a rich broth or pan fried.  When cleaning we would let them drain of blood as said before but to skin them we would stick a garden hose in the neck and fill that sucker up with water until the skin popped off the meat. What a trick. I would bet that using an air hose like they do with gators would work also.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.