FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Portable downrigger  (Read 15366 times)

wshniwsfshn

Portable downrigger
« on: Jul 15, 2017, 03:09 PM »
Anybody ever try the portable ones that clamp on to the side wall of a 14 ft aluminum I'm looking at the Scotty one and what size weight thanks

Hottuna5150

Re: Portable downrigger
« Reply #1 on: Jul 15, 2017, 04:31 PM »
Wshniwsfshn, I use a cannon clamp-on downrigger with my 17 ft Grumman canoe with a trolling motor. It works pretty well but I have to say if I was to do it over I'd probably go scotty. My buddy has a solid mount on his kayak (the actual reel and arm I believe are identical to the clamp version) and it seems to be more rugged overall than mine. In either case I don't think they'd hold up well to a heavier ball than the recommended 4lber but at speeds between 1.2-2.0mph (I tend to target lakers) I've run it down 70 ft with no issue. Depending on your fish finder you may have trouble tracking your ball at that angle but my striker 4 does pretty well.
Hope this was helpful.
Cheers,
Keith

boondox

« Reply #2 on: Jul 15, 2017, 05:41 PM »
I would go with a cannon easy troll  with a line counter and a 8 or 10  pound finned down rigger ball .. if pushing real deep maybe even a 12 pound ball.. they sell a mount for the side rails for around 50to60 dollars ... any how the mini troll by cannon and I think the lake troll by scotty don't have a line counter so it's will be hard to reset same depth every time.. just for that reason I would go with the easy troll .. caus e it's controlled depth fishing.. that way you don't by a 80 dollar down rigger then go by a 200 after you figured the 80 won't cut it unless your fishing shallow lakes thd the lake troll will be fine...

you could even try a mouching  rig and rod it if you think it'd easier  a 2 pound two ear or a one ear canon ball on a 3 wsy rig and a mooching rod rigid up with a line counter reel is a pour man's down rigger all you need is a rod holder and try to keep the ball at a 90 to the water surfce .. look up videos mooching for salmon if intrested .. in mouthing that might be a cheaper alternative to a down rigger buying a $30  okuma mouching rod ?? And pairing it with a line counter reel and heavy line like 40 to 80 lb test  depending on weight used and depth fished then the rest is cannon balls, leader and favorite lures we ran them on a three way rig and we're able to switch the weight for a heavylier weight when depth or speed varied.. basically a mini down rigger set up..  we have run dodgers& flies ,spoons, squids ,jay plugs, meat ,etc..  etc..on the mouchung rod rigs any how best of luck..

boondox

« Reply #3 on: Jul 15, 2017, 06:19 PM »
A lot of guys were using dipsey diver rods to do the mooching cause they will handie it.. 40 or 50 pound braid and a 5 to 8 ounce cannon ball on a three way with you lure off the three way and you main line all attach at the three way.. then all you need to do is put it in a rod holder  and troll real slow 2.2 mph to 3.3mph for salmon. The okuma classic pro  or classic pro glt cost about $30 for s rod. And the high end is gloomis at $350+ this way you don't have to sink $160 to $400 plus in to riggers and plus reels and rods but up to you ..

Seahunt

• Coffin Dodger @ IS
« Reply #4 on: Jul 15, 2017, 06:19 PM »
For a 14' aluminum, I'd go with the Cannon uni, easy or lake troll or Scotty depthmaster.
I have Scotty 1116 pro packs (electric) for a bigger boat and a much smaller Scotty for a canoe.
IMO, Scotty's are the best electric.
I would steer clear of the clamp on's, especially if romancing the bottom for lakers.
Riggers without depth counters generally rely on amount of turns to determine depth.
Regardless of turns or counters, they're best at duplicating depths not exact depths.

Like I believe boondox said, you want your cable as close to 90 degrees from the rigger end as possible. Depth, speed and drag (think flashers) all determine how heavy your ball needs to be. A 4# ball will only be efficient very high in the water column. A 6# ball doesn't get you much deeper.  I start with 8# balls and progress to 12's the deeper I troll.  

Hottuna5150

« Reply #5 on: Jul 15, 2017, 07:48 PM »
Seahunt and boondox are absolutely right and if possible I would try to upgrade from the riggers you are considering. Eventually I will be also but I couldn't afford to myself this year (I spend too much for the mrs. already during ice season  ::) ). The dial counter on my mini troll is useless and I have to rely on my finder to determine my set depth. I do catch fish, unfortunately I do have to be careful not to drag bottom and that often results in more salmon than I'd like but you can make it work. Boondox mentioned divers and a friend has had luck with the Davis instruments fish seeker an adjustable alternative. This my first season trolling and it was the folks on this site that helped me get on fish (if memory serves seahunt was one of them) so I'd take their advice and run with it.
Cheers

wshniwsfshn

« Reply #6 on: Jul 15, 2017, 09:48 PM »
Thanks guys

wshniwsfshn

« Reply #7 on: Jul 16, 2017, 06:17 PM »
Anyone have any pics of your set up thanks

dickbaker

« Reply #8 on: Jul 16, 2017, 06:38 PM »
Anybody ever try the portable ones that clamp on to the side wall of a 14 ft aluminum I'm looking at the Scotty one and what size weight thanks

need a photo of your boat stern to make practical recommendations ? 
Dick

Mac Attack

« Reply #9 on: Jul 16, 2017, 06:43 PM »

I would steer clear of the clamp on's, especially if romancing the bottom for lakers.

sound advice

Mac Attack

« Reply #10 on: Jul 16, 2017, 06:46 PM »
Anyone have any pics of your set up thanks

wshniwsfshn

« Reply #11 on: Jul 16, 2017, 07:31 PM »
Dick I don't have photobucket but it's a 14 ft Starcraft 25 hp tiller with a split bench in the middle thanks
Attack that's a very nice set up

Seahunt

• Coffin Dodger @ IS
« Reply #12 on: Jul 16, 2017, 08:36 PM »
Dick I don't have photobucket but it's a 14 ft Starcraft 25 hp tiller with a split bench in the middle thanks
Attack that's a very nice set up
If you use a solid mount, your corners in the stern may be the best place to mount the riggers.
You would want to use a backer board like azak, composite decking or similar to reinforce the corners.
It's pretty common to mount riggers on a pt or aluminum plank like attack has them. Great set up, but doubt you'd have room on a 14'er. Before you try it, make sure you'll have both enough room in your cock pit and still be able to trim your motor up. 

Seahunt

• Coffin Dodger @ IS
« Reply #13 on: Jul 16, 2017, 08:46 PM »
This is a boat I had for 10 years and sold last fall.

Mac Attack

« Reply #14 on: Jul 16, 2017, 08:59 PM »

If you use a solid mount, your corners in the stern may be the best place to mount the riggers.
You would want to use a backer board like azak, composite decking or similar to reinforce the corners.

more good info

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.