FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: stolen lugbolts...people actually do this?  (Read 4267 times)

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
Re: stolen lugbolts...people actually do this?
« Reply #15 on: Aug 22, 2017, 12:02 PM »
If they have any value, they can and probably could get stolen by some dirtbag looking to score a fix.

If you had them on both wheels and only one wheel was missing lugs it would seem odd that someone would only "screw" with one wheel, and that a thief would only steal from one source when two are possible.

Just too many variables to pin the blame on anyone or anything.

Just consider it a lesson learned without the major consequences!
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #16 on: Aug 24, 2017, 12:33 PM »
I lost four of my five lug bolts on my snowmobile trailer when I got a flat and changed it. I forgot to torque it after driving 10 miles. Wasn't good!

Spider1

« Reply #17 on: Sep 15, 2017, 06:57 AM »
Me and a buddy went fishing a couple years ago, private lake with the trucks in view. At the end of the day we packed up said our "see ya laters" and off we went. Half way home one of his wheels fell off. Scared the snot outta him. He checked his other wheels and they were all loose. Then he remembered that his son had just done his breaks for him. He woulda tanned the boys butt good for not torqueing the lugs...  if the boy wasn't in his 20's and 2" taller than him, LOL!!! It happens.

You only had the trailer for a month... And you didn't go over it with a fine toothed comb before running it on the highway? Operator error buddy.  ;)

dickbaker

« Reply #18 on: Sep 15, 2017, 12:41 PM »
On my way to Champlain next weekend.  Two hour drive.  I will check the tire pressure, lube the wheels and tighten the lugs as well as make sure that I carry a spare tire, jack and four way tire iron.   Still never feel safe and make sure my cell phone is well charged to call home for help.  Evan with my canoe I once forgot to bring my paddles. 
Dick

lowaccord66

« Reply #19 on: Sep 18, 2017, 02:13 PM »
On my way to Champlain next weekend.  Two hour drive.  I will check the tire pressure, lube the wheels and tighten the lugs as well as make sure that I carry a spare tire, jack and four way tire iron.   Still never feel safe and make sure my cell phone is well charged to call home for help.  Evan with my canoe I once forgot to bring my paddles. 
Dick

Just did that ride myself.  8 hours round trip.  All lugnuts remain!

Fish Farmer

« Reply #20 on: Sep 25, 2017, 10:54 AM »
I had the same thing happen to me years ago.  I replaced on trailer tire and went fishing. While I was pulling out my boat out of the launch I ran over my wheel chock. Everything looked fine, but that may have help to loosen things. About 10 minutes later it sounded like I had a flat tire. I pulled over and the tire was hanging on by one lug...barely. I have five lugs on my tires so I took two from the other side and ran three on each side. I now have spares, but have never had it happen since.

taxid

« Reply #21 on: Sep 25, 2017, 12:02 PM »
This isn't the same thing but bought a spare tire carrier last year to mount on the boat trailer vs. throwing the spare in the back of the vehicle. Finally mounted the spare tire carrier to the trailer only to find I couldn't line up more than one bolt hole to the tire to hold it on the spare tire carrier. I specifically ordered it for a five lug tire! I was upset. I ended up drilling another hole but wore out a $14.00 brand new drill bit even using oil.

Made in China of course... >:(

My dad says I'll regret mounting the tire to the trailer. Says it will come up missing one of these days.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #22 on: Sep 26, 2017, 08:59 AM »
My dad says I'll regret mounting the tire to the trailer. Says it will come up missing one of these days.

Mine never has. And I camp remotely on the boat quite a bit. Trailer and truck is left in the middle of nowhere for days and days. I think the biggest worry is someone taking the whole trailer but who is going to steal a spare? Not like it's an easy hawk for drug money.

taxid

« Reply #23 on: Sep 27, 2017, 07:41 AM »
I think you're right. And I'm tired of lugging the tire around.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.