FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Winni in August  (Read 5595 times)

ericbres

Winni in August
« on: Aug 19, 2017, 09:01 AM »
Heading up to the in-laws camp in a couple of days for a week ... just wondering if I should bother bringing all the fishing gear and what to expect?
We did pretty well around that area (Cow island) during the spring derby for lakers and salmon, but I'm assuming it'll dry up this time of year?

I've also been warned my favorite spots for white perch and smallies aren't producing this year.

Anyone out there having luck on the big lake? Or should I just take the sun screen, tow rope and tubes for the kids?  8)

NH_RED

Re: Winni in August
« Reply #1 on: Aug 19, 2017, 09:44 AM »
Always come prepared ;) 6 colors or riggers if you got them. Both have been equally productive.

ericbres

« Reply #2 on: Aug 19, 2017, 09:56 AM »
Yup, first year with the downriggers! and one new leadcore rod. So, they should be pretty deep, huh? Which means I should bring an extra ball. Being a rookie - I'm not the best at keeping them from bouncing off the rocks  :-\

And ... thanks for reminding me, I've got new line to spool on one of the riggers that was getting frayed. Best get that done this afternoon.

zwiggles

« Reply #3 on: Aug 19, 2017, 01:22 PM »
I am jealous. Definitely bring all the gear.

DT5150

« Reply #4 on: Aug 21, 2017, 10:25 AM »
july and august are my 2 favorite months for salmon on winni. we've been getting most of the action at around the 30 ft mark, i'll usually run 1 rigger at 25 and the other at 30 first thing in the morning. then go 30 and 40 or 45-ish as the morning goes on. between 5 and 7 colors on the leads. flies have been producing more than spoons as of late.

porkpiehat

« Reply #5 on: Aug 21, 2017, 09:29 PM »
Heading up to the in-laws camp in a couple of days for a week ... just wondering if I should bother bringing all the fishing gear and what to expect?
We did pretty well around that area (Cow island) during the spring derby for lakers and salmon, but I'm assuming it'll dry up this time of year?

I've also been warned my favorite spots for white perch and smallies aren't producing this year.

Anyone out there having luck on the big lake? Or should I just take the sun screen, tow rope and tubes for the kids?  8)

I find the smallies are biting great when I'm trolling for trout  ;D

porkpiehat

« Reply #6 on: Aug 21, 2017, 09:31 PM »
july and august are my 2 favorite months for salmon on winni. we've been getting most of the action at around the 30 ft mark, i'll usually run 1 rigger at 25 and the other at 30 first thing in the morning. then go 30 and 40 or 45-ish as the morning goes on. between 5 and 7 colors on the leads. flies have been producing more than spoons as of late.

Are they still hitting the smaller flies that look like baby smelt? I got two hits but could have been the dodger drag on my turns.

ericbres

« Reply #7 on: Aug 22, 2017, 05:07 AM »
Wish I hadn't forgot my flies then .... because so far I can only seem to find the smallies  ;D
But, it's a long week - we shall see! I've also got to move around a bit more.

DT5150

« Reply #8 on: Aug 22, 2017, 08:25 AM »
they do seem to prefer the smaller single hooks over the streamers right now. lose the dodger, you'll get more hits without it. just a fly, 5-6 colors down, with a 5-6 ft. fluorocarbon leader.

if you're catching a lot of smallies, try trolling over deeper water. i find that when i venture into the 30s or 40s i catch a lot of smallies. i don't catch near as many when trolling in 50-60+.

porkpiehat

« Reply #9 on: Aug 22, 2017, 12:28 PM »
they do seem to prefer the smaller single hooks over the streamers right now. lose the dodger, you'll get more hits without it. just a fly, 5-6 colors down, with a 5-6 ft. fluorocarbon leader.

if you're catching a lot of smallies, try trolling over deeper water. i find that when i venture into the 30s or 40s i catch a lot of smallies. i don't catch near as many when trolling in 50-60+.

If I use flies on my downrigger down deep sometimes I'll add a dodger for action and flash, but it does tend to get set off and lose fish more easily.

5-6 ft leader seems short, is that because of the depth?

ishoot308

« Reply #10 on: Aug 22, 2017, 01:26 PM »

Great advice DT!  I agree 100%

The salmon I have been catching have been spitting up yoy smelt so probably the reason for the smaller singles over tandems right now. I am using attractors, verticals and horizontals, but never with a fly.  Fly's get tied direct, exactly as you stated but always in a jigger. 

See you out there!!

Dan

DT5150

« Reply #11 on: Aug 23, 2017, 08:50 AM »
pork,

while you certainly can run a fly on a rigger, you would much better off to run some blades on your rigger weight. verticals, horizontals, or both, and run the fly 5-10 behind the blades/ball. i'll run a fly or a spoon behind the blades, depends on what the fish have been most active on lately. if you don't have any blades, aj's has some as well as chappy's, http://www.chappysguide.com/index.html. i don't use any kinds of blades, flashers or dodgers on my leadcore rigs at all. they either go in a jigger or off the planer boards. they impart great action on the fly so additional flash isn't required or needed.

as far as leader length goes, on my rigger rods, i spool em up with 8 lb fluorocarbon to a spro (very tiny) swivel, then a 5-6ft. 6lb fluoro leader, then a duo-lock snap to attach the spoon or fly. some guys don't like to use the snaps but i like em for quick lure changes, and they don't seem to keep the salmon from hitting my offerings. for my leadcore rigs, i didn't include the whole setup in my earlier post. i'll run 50 feet or so of fluoro leader, either 8lb or 6lb, which ever i have, then the same spro swivel, a 5-6ft 6lb. fluoro leader, duo-lock snap setup. i use a 5-6ft short leader so i can still use a swivel, but it keeps the swivel away from the lure enough that the fish don't see it. you can omit the swivel from the equation, but they really help with line twist so they're good to have on there. especially when pulling spoons.

fishegg

« Reply #12 on: Aug 23, 2017, 10:27 AM »
Hmmm, a duo-lock to a fly??? I always thought you had to direct tie to a fly, that certainly makes it easier, no delta in catch rates?

DT5150

« Reply #13 on: Aug 23, 2017, 10:28 AM »
nope, i still slam em  ;D

fishegg

« Reply #14 on: Aug 23, 2017, 10:34 AM »
What knot at the duo-lock please?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.