FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Flathead  (Read 994 times)

treepotato

Flathead
« on: May 12, 2021, 10:13 AM »
ive Heard that flathead catfish are some of the best eating fish around these parts. I’ve never had the opportunity to try one but would love to. Does anyone have a recipe they’d mind sharing and what would be the ideal size of one for consumption. I’m assuming this would be a good time of year to go after one. Thanks

bigr

Re: Flathead
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2021, 11:37 AM »
The best size I've found is a fish in  the 5 to 10lb range. any thing smaller because of its shape won't give you much meat and one bigger like any fish can become strong tasting. This is a tough time to target flats. My best time is mid summer into the fall. In my opinion they are the best eating in these parts. I'd trade a walleye caught from our waters for the right size flat anytime. 

treepotato

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2021, 09:19 PM »
Thanks Big R. Do you have a favorite way of preparing flatheads?

bigr

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2021, 05:34 AM »
My favorite is the same old school way. Deep fried cornmeal with seasoning. I like course ground yellow meal then add Andys Cajun to give it a little southern taste. The flatheads flesh has parts that are more like chicken texture than flaky fish and the flaky portions are nice and white as well as firm. 

treepotato

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2021, 06:18 AM »
Thanks big r, can’t wait to give it a try.

treepotato

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2021, 11:03 AM »
Yes, I agree 100%. It’s a shame our streams have become this way. Thanks for the info and advice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.