FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: A look back!  (Read 4170 times)

fishryc

Re: A look back!
« Reply #15 on: Jul 12, 2006, 01:02 PM »
Very interesting thread Grump!!
 I was a little "windy" in mine"

From March 2005:

Does anyone have any definitive info. / data regarding the impact of zebras on the smelt population? I have dipped smelt in Lewiston NY on the Lower Niagara River for 30 years and their numbers are probably down 90% from as recent as 10 years ago. With ABSOLUTELY no exaggerating, you used to get 2/3 full nets!  3 dips and done with a 5 gallon pail over half full! Now, 6 fish in a dip is considered good. You do sometimes see spurts of good numbers, but nowhere near as in the passed. I always thought the decline was due to the massive trout and salmon stocking of Lake Ontario, which you didn't have 30 years ago. However the biggest decline has been in passed few years. If it's the zebras, I wonder why smelt seem so abundant in Lake Erie, which is heavily encrusted with zebras? I ice fish on the Buffalo Small Boat Harbor which is situated at the mouth of the Upper Niagara River. Mostly every year, smelt are so thick, they can sometimes black out the picture from an Aqua Vue. I fish for them with a maggot on a #14 gold egg hook and can take them at rates of 100 or more per hour. Last year and this I put enough in my freezer that I didn't have to bother dipping 3 to 4 hours to end up with 100 fish. This fact seems to indicate the impact of salmonoids: Lake Ontario>Lots of salmonoids>Few smelt.       Lake Erie>Fewer salmonoids>Lots of smelt.  Anyway, I miss the smelt and thought someone may have some solid data / info.
 huh    huh
 Many thanks and keep yer lines wet-

Fishryc
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man; a debt he proposes to pay off with your money".

"Defeat the fear of death and welcome the death of fear.”

G. Gordon Liddy

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
« Reply #16 on: Jul 12, 2006, 01:23 PM »
Mine was posted on the Ontario board

on: Mar 14, 2005, 02:32 PM 
Im a newcomer this year, heard about the site thru iceshanty, and now that im off the ice I cant wait for the open water season to gear up. Im currently located in Peterborough

fishercat

• hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #17 on: Jul 12, 2006, 01:41 PM »
  This was my first.    

MyFishFinder Tips and Techniques / Trolling / Re: Downrigger Releases???       on: Mar 12, 2004, 07:10 PM
You could try ROEMER . They are adjustable.  Both up and down the cable and tension .They have a web site.
I fish for those "stupid fish" BASS. Largemouth Smallmouth Stripers, and even Rock bass.

Out4Trout

« Reply #18 on: Jul 12, 2006, 02:42 PM »
yes heres the easiest way :)

just click on your name then click on recent posts then click on the highest number page  and at the bottom of that page will be your first post :) if u post it yourself then i will delete this post  lol

That worked quite well, thanks.

Here's mine:

on: Mar 09, 2004, 09:43 PM 
I'll be looking for some brooke trout this spring, Try to take my 13 year old daughter out as much as I can before she starts getting interested in other things 

MXFisher

• One more cast!
« Reply #19 on: Jul 12, 2006, 03:11 PM »
Well, I found this site last year and I created a log on, it was MXFishin. I created a new one this year to match my Ice shanty name. Here is my first post from last year as MXfishin.

Mar 28, 2005, 06:45 PM

MXFishin on Mar 28, 2005, 06:45 PM
Gunner1, I used top have that same exact opinion as you, "Whats the big deal, smaller fish, no different than any other fish", then I tried fishing for them in a creek a few miles from my house. It didn't take long to become addicted to chasing another kind of fish. Yeah there not as big as a bass or pike but when using 2-4 pound test on ultra light equipment they put up a fight.  Besides for me living near a creek or two that trout fishing is open year round on I can always break out the spinning equipment and have a solid chance of catching fish close to home. Thats a major plus for me because I just started ice fishing and I suck...well maybe not that bad but I'd rather fish open water any time.  Any way my point is get your lightest equipment out and give it a try some time.
 As for people getting up in arms when anything happening around trout waters, I think there are just more trout fishermen involved in and aware of what happens to there fishing waters.

Well at least I'm a better ice fisherman now that I have another season under my belt. So much for self intoductions, looks like I just jumped in to the fray.

Fishing is not a pastime, it's a way of life.

marshrat

« Reply #20 on: Jul 12, 2006, 04:33 PM »
286   MFF US Northeast / Lakes PA / Re: Hills Creek (Hills Creek St. Pk.)/Tioga  on: Apr 21, 2005, 04:18 PM 
Hey cool i go to wellsboro right now and we have a lot of students from there and i was just wondering if u were one off them but i guess not lol. I icefish Hamilton  a lot . i normally stick to stream fishing around here seeing how a live on pine creek. And i know what project your talking about they are adding lime stone to neutralize the water, PH so there are some trout in there now in the lime beds

Great Idea Grump
Chris Neal
Twin Tier Angling Board
DON'T LEAVE FISH TO FIND FISH!!!!!

GO TEAM PA

kerosenecounty17

« Reply #21 on: Jul 12, 2006, 08:51 PM »
My first post was back in March of '04, but it's pretty boring.  Just a discussion of our favorite tactics/species to fish for.  I was glancing through some of my old posts and found one especially interesting/funny:

-------------------------------------------------------------

The Fisherman's Wharf / The Grumpy Old Men Boat / Re: price of gass  on: May 17, 2004, 10:46 PM 

Well POTP, you're actually in better shape than I am.  Here in my area of WI it's running $2.10-$2.12 per gallon for 89 octane.  Luckily for me, I've got lakes and streams within walking distance to fish.  Not necesarily the best lakes in the area, but they're the ones I'll be fishing until the prices go down or work picks up again.

kero

---------------------------------------------------------------

If I saw a station selling for $2.10 a gallon now, I'd fill every empty tank I had.

I really need to start posting more.  71 posts in 2+ years?  I'm practically a lurker. 

kc17

ifishhi

• fall togue on a 6wt.....what a fight!
« Reply #22 on: Jul 13, 2006, 07:44 AM »
 359       MFF US Northeast / Maine / Re: Still Frozen       on: Apr 02, 2004, 12:04 PM
Quote from: pegasus on Apr 01, 2004, 08:32 PM
It was 62 degrees in Ellsworth at 1:30p.m.. Phillip's Lake was getting real dark on the eastern shore. Echo Lake on Mount Desert Island still had ice thick enough to drill on the 31th with no open water. Another week and a half there should be a lot of open water, but we still have the last snow storm to go though yet.
hey do you live in ellsworth? if so how green looking?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.