FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Muskie Matters!  (Read 2998 times)

The Fishin Frenzy

• Big Fish Fear The Frenzy
Muskie Matters!
« on: Jun 03, 2004, 11:14 AM »
I am going to start loking for some of these beasts in the near future.Just fit a motor on the drift boat and she can move along.I am heading to Swan bay on monday and going to give the St.Lawance a working over.I caught a muskie last year perch fishing and now i am hooked on them almost as bad as jumbo perch and monster walleyes.Heres the beast I got last summer!
Big Fish fear the frenzy

bigdave1018

Re: Muskie Matters!
« Reply #1 on: Jun 03, 2004, 04:05 PM »
awesome fish tff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jdawg67

« Reply #2 on: Jun 04, 2004, 01:57 PM »
If you need a prtner when you come to the Niagara River, let me know.  I'll get out with you.  Haven't fished Muskie in a few years, but I have heard of several 50"ers come out of the Harbor last Fall.  I'd love to get out and pick up a couple slobs.   I know a couple spots to try along the river.   

techyfisher

« Reply #3 on: Jun 05, 2004, 05:52 PM »
How about you guys over in the western part of the state. We have heard that chautauqua lake offers the best chance of boating a muskie in the state. Anybody fishing there??? Along with that it's supposed to have a good popualtion of walleye and northerns as well. Have been threatening to make a journey over there but would like some firsthand info to back up the rumors we hear. Thanks for any info.

deerslayer92163

« Reply #4 on: Jun 05, 2004, 07:03 PM »
chautaqua does have alot of muskies but i have never seen or heard of a northern being caught here

Jdawg67

« Reply #5 on: Jun 07, 2004, 08:15 AM »
Have never fished Chataqua for Muskie.  There are a bunch in there though.  I have caught a few while walleye fishing.  Had one take half of a nice walleye off my line.  Saw one last year while perch fishing that was pushing 50"  Biggest I have seen.   The Niagara river probably hold the best chances in this area for boating a nice Muskie.  Troll along Ilse View park, and under the grand island bridge Tonawanda side.  There are some monsters there.  We picked up three last year while Salmon fishing in the lower River.   

techyfisher

« Reply #6 on: Jun 07, 2004, 11:33 AM »
Yes thank you, Could you add a bit more detail on the walleye end of things. I think that would be my target fish there with muskie for a diversion if things were slow. Thanks again.

ChenBassHead

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Bandito Strikes Again!
« Reply #7 on: Jun 07, 2004, 11:36 AM »
Don't rule out Waneta and Lamoka lakes either. They're in the Finger Lakes region for those who don't know. I've read in a few magazines that W & L are good places for a shot at a 50"+ Muskie. These are pure strain muskies too, not hybrids. It might be worth the trip, so I thought I'd let you know. If there were more palces around here, and the gear wasn't so d**n expensive, I'd get into muskie fishing. It's still on my list of goals before I go to college in September '05.

-Zach

Jdawg67

« Reply #8 on: Jun 07, 2004, 11:39 AM »
I have done well there for the walleye during the first couple weeks of the season.  Once the weeds come up it get a little tougher.  To target the Walleye in the Summer drift slow and jig the weed pockets.  They will get into some pretty thick stuff.  A stiff backbone is needed to hoist them out of the salad.  I usually use a 1/8-1/4 jig and leach.  Have done better on size during the summer, but the number come in the spring. 

techyfisher

« Reply #9 on: Jun 07, 2004, 11:41 AM »
Thanks Jdawg, May just fish Oneida and such around here this year and plan a early trip over that way for next year.

Jdawg67

« Reply #10 on: Jun 07, 2004, 11:43 AM »
If you get out there for the opener for Next year Target the Eyes during the night. I have seen my best time between 12-4.  Then the Crappie fishing during the day has turned on the last few years. 

Chucker

« Reply #11 on: Jun 07, 2004, 04:37 PM »
CBH - I plan on trying Waneta & Lamoka this year, but likely won't be able to fish it hard.  Most of the reports from the lakes are a little dated - I have yet to see more current info.  Waneta received herbicide treatment last year, so the heavy slop likely won't be around anymore.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.