FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Bullhead Thread In Species Area  (Read 7182 times)

howey1176

• Gone Fishin'
Bullhead Thread In Species Area
« on: Mar 09, 2004, 02:26 PM »
Just wondering if we could get a bullhead thread going in the species area?

Tried IMing, but an error message came up.
Harold

can_of_worms

Re: Bullhead Thread In Species Area
« Reply #1 on: Mar 09, 2004, 05:17 PM »

Here are some Honeoye bullhead, sorry about the lighting

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2004, 05:58 PM »
Howey, I'll put in a suggestion. I love those spring yellow bellies.
RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

reelcharacter

• They call it fishing, not catching, for a reason
« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2004, 06:20 PM »
Nice mess of fish! 2003 catch I presume???

-reelcharacter
Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

can_of_worms

« Reply #4 on: Mar 09, 2004, 06:34 PM »
Yes they were, I can't wait to get after them this year, soon I hope.

reelcharacter

« Reply #5 on: Mar 10, 2004, 12:19 AM »
About those Honeoye bullhead,

Wish they were closer to Syracuse. Once in my life, (at least) I would like to catch a mess of Bullhead like that. (At my mid 40's now, I hopefully have some time left to accomplish this).  :)  How early in our Central New York season do you begin to catch Bullhead? Find them in shallows or bays with mud bottoms?

Thanks,
-reelcharacter
Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

can_of_worms

« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2004, 03:18 AM »
In Honeoye you don't have to many other choices other than a muddy bottom. They were caught after the first thunderstorm after ice out, at the head of the lake in about 5' of water.It seems like it is always around mid april or a bit earlier on the average. Conesus lake can also be awsome bullhead fishing. I have seen buckets full of them in the middle of the  day, fish the North end with a strong  wind out of the South. It takes a pretty beefy sinker but it can be non stop. Night time is also good there.

howey1176

• Gone Fishin'
« Reply #7 on: Mar 10, 2004, 10:26 AM »
About those Honeoye bullhead,

Wish they were closer to Syracuse. Once in my life, (at least) I would like to catch a mess of Bullhead like that. (At my mid 40's now, I hopefully have some time left to accomplish this).  :)  How early in our Central New York season do you begin to catch Bullhead? Find them in shallows or bays with mud bottoms?

Thanks,
-reelcharacter

Normally they turn on after the first or second, warm, heavy rain. Which like what can_of_worms said is normally around mid-April.

I normally stick to inlets on bays, small rivers and creeks with muddy bottoms. Bullhead are like carp; they are everywhere. You just got to fish around and find a good spot. Just take a ride some night and look for lantern glow. That will give you an idea of where they are biting. I've never fished around Syracuse, otherwise I would suggest some spots. If your willing to travel I could suggest some spots in my area (Fair Haven).

When they turn on, it's nothing short of normal to fill a couple of buckets in short order.
Harold

acsacmboy

« Reply #8 on: Mar 10, 2004, 08:34 PM »
thats it? only about 18 bullheads? just jokin around. man, when we go bullheadin, we go bullheadin. my best was about 45 in 3 hours.one rod. by myself for the first hour and a half until i called my dad down bc they were on. did pretty good. got about 60 total that night
Randy Mason
FLCC 09' Fisheries Technology major

can_of_worms

« Reply #9 on: Mar 10, 2004, 09:53 PM »
No thats not my best, thats all we wanted for the night. Our best was in the islands we caught around 250 in a half day out. I do not like the bullhead from that area though, not as tasty. I only keep what we need for the next meal/party. Good luck.

reelcharacter

« Reply #10 on: Mar 10, 2004, 11:29 PM »
Thanks guys!

I did not think Bullhead were that active that early. (Don't know what I thought they did until later on in the season, not like they hibernate or anything).   :)

Sounds like I may try to plan an afternoon fishing trip to one of our local reservoirs. I know of a couple of spots where small bays or creeks feed in to the larger body of water through a tube (culvert under the road). Could find some Crappies or Bullhead.

-Reelcharacter

missfishylicious

• smile it makes them wonder what your up to
« Reply #11 on: Mar 11, 2004, 08:15 AM »
reelcharter...I haven't fished for bullhead on oneida lake in a few years but they are the same kind yellow bellys.I remember we used to wait for the wild cherry blossums and then go to any shallow bay and catch them well into the evening you build a nice fire and bring some beer and a lawn chair.I think the bullhead in the snt lawrence are a different kind there smaller and you catch more but then you have to clean them.not that there hard to clean .just make a cut across the back of the head and a slit down the alondg the spine .grab the head and body in seperate hands .snap the neck just behind the spike on top of there back.grab the meaty back and pull th head down .it guts skins and deheads them all in one motion.the yellow bellys are a little harder because of there size they usually need a little skinning afterwords.
I have no opinion on the subject .....yeah right

reelcharacter

« Reply #12 on: Mar 11, 2004, 11:49 PM »
I have heard the saying that when the lilac leaves are the size of a mouse's ear, the Bullhead sould be biting. Now, I have Lilacs growing in my yard, but do not think I have much of a chance getting the Mouse to stand next to the Lilac so I can compare.

But I do have a mouse trap . . .    :)

I do like the fire and beer part of Bullhead fishing. Wonder If I could get my fishing buddy to be my designated driver?

Think I will get the canoe out later this month or early April and poke around Big Bay some. (Unless there is another area easier to get to and around on).

-Reelcharacter

can_of_worms

« Reply #13 on: Mar 12, 2004, 07:07 AM »
Yes,, Beer and a few good buddies are vital to a successful bullhead trip. Soon, good luck.

ajwiez2

« Reply #14 on: Mar 12, 2004, 07:13 PM »
if you can go out and pick up night crawlers it is time to go bullheading . if the crawlers are out then the bullhead are in . this has never failed me  and I have been fishing then for over 40 yrs. using the same  gage on the time their in.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.