FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Johnson 6hp outboard  (Read 2946 times)

Zktaylor

Johnson 6hp outboard
« on: Jul 15, 2014, 09:37 PM »
Ok, I bought a 1967 6hp johnson outboard for my little 12ft jon boat. A guy had it for sale on craigslist for pretty cheap and he said it ran good so I went to check it out. He started it up for me and it ran great. Purred like a kitten. I take it home and put it on the boat and head out just to see how it feels to ride with something other than a trolling motor and after about 15 minutes of running it just died. It took quite a few pulls to get it started again but then it did the same thing. So I primed the bulb and tried starting it. After about 10 pulls it started again but not for long. I tried feathering the throttle to limp back to the boat ramp and as soon as I got there it sputtered out again. I'm just curious what this could be? It runs awesome, I'm almost thinking its a fuel delivery issue or maybe an octane issue?. Has anyone experienced this before? This is the first outboard I've owned so any help would be great. It kinda put a damper on my mood after it was running so good.

ZKT

stinkybaits

Re: Johnson 6hp outboard
« Reply #1 on: Jul 15, 2014, 10:00 PM »
Could be alot of things including your gas tank. Best thing would probably find a good outboard mechanic. Good luck their hard to find as old school technology is dying out. Local bait shop probably has some info that would be your best bet.

ryoder

« Reply #2 on: Jul 16, 2014, 06:23 AM »
My guess is you have something stuck in your fuel filter or the gasket to the filter has a crack in it causing the fuel to leak. Both are pretty common issues.
Part time Florida Fisherman - Part time Indiana Fisherman

Turk

« Reply #3 on: Jul 16, 2014, 07:26 AM »
Make sure the vent is open on the gas tank or if it doesn't have one that the gas cap is cracked open a little.

izzy65

« Reply #4 on: Jul 16, 2014, 07:53 AM »
the old johnsons have magnetos, when they get hot they will shut down, when they cool down it will start back up . I had that problem with my 1955 5.1/2 hp. something to check,
Satchmo

wallin

« Reply #5 on: Jul 16, 2014, 09:15 AM »
If your hand ball and hose looks old - replace it.
Check vent cap on your tank like some one said.
Sounds like its sucking air or not getting enough air.
Is it pumping good water?
May need to replace impellar if its getting to hot-should be a good stream when your moving.
Great motors I had a few.
Wallin

Teacherpreacher

« Reply #6 on: Jul 16, 2014, 11:37 AM »
Could be rubber O rings on hose connection. Had a 25 hp Johnson that I had to replace O Rings periodically. Always carried extra. Connecting and disconnectig causes tiny tears in rubber. Only takes a very tiny tear. Will start and run but then sucks air and stops. If it's running and starts to sputter try pumping bulb. If it takes back up and runs, probably O Ring. Use a pair of tweezers and pull out old O Ring. When replacing new one I used a wooden match to push in place. Good luck.

Or could be any of the afore mentioned suggestions.
PM me for a pretty good reasonable mechanic in Lake Stations. Works out of his house.
Teach
Do all that you love, with those that you love, as often as you can.

jbmfish1

« Reply #7 on: Jul 16, 2014, 08:05 PM »
I have owned a couple old motors like that one. Had a 61 Johnson 18 hp that did the same thing ran like a champ for about 15 min. then just started dying then it would have a short burst then completely die and  then you take a few pulls and it would run and die over and over. It really acted to be a fuel issue but after fooling with every fuel thing it had. I popped off the fly wheel and immediately seen the problem. The old coils looked like caramel colored hard candy and there were cracks everywhere. When it got warmed up the cracks separate and start shorting out. 35$ and that thing ran like a superstar after that. EVERYBODY... that seen or heard how it was acting said it was a fuel issue.... The same thing just happened to a co- worker of mine he has been down for almost a year had it to several boat mechanics before the last one finally figured it out to be the coils only after he totally rebuilt everything from the tank to the carb and it still did it...... Thats the first thing I told him to check... but several hundred $$ later he finally got there.. It very well could be a fuel issue with yours but I just thought I would share my experience with a similar issue.. Good Luck!!

izzy65

« Reply #8 on: Jul 16, 2014, 09:16 PM »
as said in preveous post they called them coils but they are magnetos, same ones you use foe a lawnboy  lawn mower, both are omc
Satchmo

Zktaylor

« Reply #9 on: Jul 16, 2014, 09:23 PM »
Thanks for your replies guys. After further investigation today I did notice that my bulb would lose pressure while the motor was running and it felt like there was air in it. I made sure I kept the bulp hard and it ran fine under about half throttle. I think I need a new fuel line even though it doesnt look that old. After I took it off I did notice that it was leaking a little bit of fuel from one end of the bulb. HOPEFULLY thats all it is lol. But I probably will pop the fly wheel off and check the coils as well. I had the hood off while it was running and didnt notice any fuel leaks. Is there somewhere I can buy a manual for this thing?

ZKT

dsqui

« Reply #10 on: Jul 17, 2014, 03:28 AM »
i do believe last time i was at dry dock they had them.  if not the boat house is a evinrude dealer they should have them

Mac Attack

« Reply #11 on: Jul 17, 2014, 08:43 AM »
Thanks for your replies guys. After further investigation today I did notice that my bulb would lose pressure while the motor was running and it felt like there was air in it. I made sure I kept the bulp hard and it ran fine under about half throttle. I think I need a new fuel line even though it doesnt look that old. After I took it off I did notice that it was leaking a little bit of fuel from one end of the bulb. HOPEFULLY thats all it is lol. But I probably will pop the fly wheel off and check the coils as well. I had the hood off while it was running and didnt notice any fuel leaks. Is there somewhere I can buy a manual for this thing?

ZKT

Take the fuel pickup off the tank too.
Inspect it and the filter/screen on the end of the pickup.
Make sure it isn't plugged or worse.

Zktaylor

« Reply #12 on: Jul 17, 2014, 03:39 PM »
FIGURED IT OUT! The fuel filter cap had a hair line crack in it that was spewing fuel whenever I pumped the bulb. 10 bucks for a new cap and filter! now she runs like a champ.

princecraft

« Reply #13 on: Jul 17, 2014, 07:11 PM »
Headache solved.  Great news.

stinkybaits

« Reply #14 on: Jul 17, 2014, 08:25 PM »
Awesome!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.