FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: WHERES THE BEEF?  (Read 1505 times)

abishop

WHERES THE BEEF?
« on: Sep 21, 2020, 06:41 PM »
I mean fish???? Been kind of slow here lately.  I am off all week and have something going every day. May be able to get out on Friday.

abishop

Re: WHERES THE BEEF?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 21, 2020, 09:40 PM »
Thanks, I needed that, lol.

tater140

« Reply #2 on: Sep 22, 2020, 05:05 AM »
The night bite was on for me last two weeks for gills.  Last week we caught them shallower up near the weeds... water was low 70’s as i recall.  After dark the bite was on fire near the outside edge of the weedlines.  Ice rods, and ice jigs after dark,  bubble bobber, small tube jigs And a piece of red wiggler before dark.

LundProv

« Reply #3 on: Sep 22, 2020, 09:47 PM »
This past weekend was good at Flint in Valpo.  Trolling the shoreline at about 1 mph with 1/16 oz jigs - chartruese with whatever color twister tail you decide was successful for a limit of crappies in 2 hours.  Largest was 14" (1) while the smallest was 4" and the average at about 9-10".  This limit took about 1.5 hours and then I turned my attention to gills.  I started in 10' of water and drop shotted ice fishing jigs tipped with bee moth,  dragging the bottom.  In 10' I caught a lot of very little perch.  Went out in 10' increments and was using my new Garmin Livescope that I am still learning and things got to be fun at about 25' of water.  Not only did the live scope light up with fish in various segments of the water column but it also showed clusters of fish on the bottom.  Drop shotting was good for about 10 nice gills and then for some reason, I decided to go home and get busy with other things.  I started at 5:45 AM with light coming about 6:15 AM and finished about  9:00 or so.  Hit the Kankakee river Monday morning with son Eric and casted shorelines with spinner baits/jigs from 6 AM till 9 AM from Grand Kank marsh to Shelby and caught 2 small 20" pike and 3 small 12" smallies. The habitat on that river with all the log jams and structure looks so appealing but the fish were few and far between.  I really don't know how to fish this river.  Saw an awesome large owl that came screaming down the center of the river and then suddenly saw us and put on the brakes and veered off into the woods.  Also saw some turkeys and muskrat.  Noticed a lot of river bank improvement with rip rap and stabilization being done on the south river bank, east of the launch.  Impressive equipment and interesting to see/watch...

Teacherpreacher

« Reply #4 on: Sep 23, 2020, 10:04 AM »
Interesting report Lund. Enjoyed your take on your new toy. I have a new Garmin Locator that only had out once and have lots to learn.
I'm like you, not a river fisherman but would like to learn more about it. Use to fish the Tippy from the State Park up stream. Would motor up stream, push through the riffles then fish back down. Did well on smallies , northern and a few walleye.
Back when i was young.
Teach
Do all that you love, with those that you love, as often as you can.

rivereddy

« Reply #5 on: Sep 25, 2020, 03:24 PM »
More Beef......The wife and I paid a call to the local resi this afternoon.  Fished from 11:30 am - 2:30 pm - not
exactly prime time.  I'm still trying to get everything arranged in my new boat. I went from a 16 ft flat bottom to
a 14 ft vee.   It's very much a work in progress.  We trolled bomber/spinner rigs for about an hour with no success.
 Most of that time I spent playing with my new sonar and trying not to bump the battery feed and lose power.
I don't have a trolling motor on it yet so positioning is another challenge.  We tossed jigs for a while but the wind
gave us fits.  To get out of the wind, I pulled into a sheltered cove with some sunlight riprap.  The water in there
was slightly warmer than the main lake.  Wife put on a minitube and immediately got bit.  For the next 45 minutees
we caught crappie, green sunfish, bluegill and both yellow and white bass.  The bonus was what appeared to be a
green x redear sunny hybrid.  The white bass put on quite a show.  Sorry, I don't take pictures, (gotta keep flippy
dry) so I guess we didn't catch anything.  I still can't figure out how we are having crappie for dinner tonight...

fish on,

rivereddy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.