FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Bomoseen this morning in the Kayak  (Read 2083 times)

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
Bomoseen this morning in the Kayak
« on: Aug 21, 2016, 12:33 PM »
I brought the kayak to Lake Bomoseen this morning for 4 hrs.   Water temp was 82°. Light south wind ahead of the coming front. I fished a drop shot with a Berkley worm outside the weed edge in 25 to 30 ft.  of water. I caught 12 bass in all, including 2 smallies.

Best fish, and the biggest in the yak so far was this 3 1/2 lb. small mouth.

I backed that up with this 3 lb. I bucketmouth.

If I had "weighed a bag" it would have been between 14 and 15 lbs.  The wind picked up around 10:30 and made controlling the kayak difficult.  I called it a day.  A pretty good day.   ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

Bartman44

Re: Bomoseen this morning in the Kayak
« Reply #1 on: Aug 21, 2016, 12:50 PM »
Nice going, good looking VT fish.

Agree that wind makes kayak fishing challenging. For me, wind limits my lure choices.   

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #2 on: Aug 21, 2016, 02:03 PM »
Thanks.
After my last time out, I decided I needed a hand-paddle just to help me keep the kayak positioned.  I did an internet search and only came up with one choice, so I made one.  I was amazed today at just how well it worked.  I could hold rod in one hand and just skull with the paddle in the other and hold my position very well right up until the wind really blew.  ;D

The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

• I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #3 on: Aug 24, 2016, 09:01 AM »
i use double 3# anchor trolley's when i want to stay put. only one if the wind stays on one side.
a buddy uses a hand paddle, but i don't use one. if you don't have them, get this years version with the reflector paracord and built-in locks.

https://www.amazon.com/YakAttack-LeverLock-Deluxe-Trolley-AMS-1004/dp/B016LF0QY2/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1472048007&sr=1-2&keywords=YakAttack+Kayak+LeverLock

hook your rope to the bottom of the anchor and use a wire tie/zip strip on the top of the anchor so when you get your anchor caught you can pull hard to break the zip strip and get your anchor back. i use a clip on the rope to go thru the zip strip and connect to the bottom of the anchor.
https://www.amazon.com/Danielson-050004-SIZE-Galv-Anchor-Folding/dp/B004LRDERO/ref=pd_sim_468_33?ie=UTF8&refRID=XHTHTDYGGA5DEA7NK183

i do use a triple rod holder in my yak in front of me and it can hold two rods and a lx9 in the center. the rear rod holder i use for holding anchors on both sides.

nice fish!

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #4 on: Aug 24, 2016, 01:27 PM »
I've installed a single anchor trolley, but not a double. I wasn't using it because I was pretty much fishing vertically and I didn't want the anchor spooking the fish. The early morning slow drift worked very well for drop-shotting. I do like the idea of keeping an anchor the back rod holder, though. Thanks.   ;D

Perchbait

« Reply #5 on: Sep 06, 2016, 04:48 PM »
Beautiful Looking Bomo Bass. I should head down there sometime and check it out. Looks like a great lake. If I'm kayaking in shallow water (less than 7 feet) and I know that it has a muddy bottom, I just shove my paddle down in the muck with a paddle strap attached to the middle and fan cast my way around the boat. It works and requires no extra parts of equipment, other than a paddle strap, which is an essential for a kayak fisherman anyways.
Great Job!!  PB
perch bait on IS, if you couldn't figure that out on your own. ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.