MyFishFinder By Species > Salmon
Help Catching Landlocks
<< < (2/2)
Issiah:
bump
Jimmy:
Yeah...  I am heading out on Otsego Lake near Cooperstown tomorrow to troll up some trout, and would love to find a salmon too...   So...  "BUMP"
1fish@atime:
He had a pop-gear and worm on.
Talked to a couple guys this week about trolling, one guided lake george for over twenty years, they both said pick up the speed a little and work the line some ie: hand jerks about 1-1 1/2 feet.
Fish Farmer:
Troll faster, over 2mph now. Those speeds you were doing in June is what I run in April/May on Champlain. Mix it up for salmon, try one speed, then speed up, go with the wind and against it. S turns are good, gets the lure to drop and then speed up.

I prefer to run streamers myself, but do run spoons which catch more fish for me. Salmon can be picky depenging on the lake as well. I can dial in certain colors/techniques on Champlain for salmon that won't work as well on other lakes.

Sometimes I can catch salmon 5 feet down and 5 feet back on downriggers, other times they want it 100 feet back. Moderate wave chop on the water is usually good for salmon when they are shallow. This time of year fish are deep, like 30 to 50 feet down.
Issiah:
Thanks for Info   gotta give it another shot soon...  Definitely gonna try faster this time, s turns,  different distances, spoons and streamers have all been tried.  Just gotta keep changing variables until something works.     They still surface in the morning during the heat of the summer, where I fish.  I see what they are feeding on; little white moth lookin things that flutter on the surface...
Navigation
Message Index
Previous page

Go to full version