FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: My new (old) boat  (Read 37299 times)

Mac Attack

Re: My new (old) boat
« Reply #90 on: Aug 10, 2020, 09:35 AM »
With the knot not being next to the lead in the braid sheath, what I've found happens is the lead will poke thru over time and cause the braid to wear & fail.
If the knot is next to the lead inside the braid sheath, this happens a lot less.
May just have try those SPRO swivels...

I have never had the lead pop thru.
I have tried to get it to do that, instead of stripping the braid back to pull some out for tying, and have had difficulty doing so.

Mac Attack

« Reply #91 on: Aug 10, 2020, 09:37 AM »
BTW, I have always used Suffix 832 in the past.
This time I switched to Bass Pro Shop's leadcore, because I had a few Cabelas gift cards to burn up.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #92 on: Aug 10, 2020, 10:02 AM »
BTW, I have always used Suffix 832 in the past.
This time I switched to Bass Pro Shop's leadcore, because I had a few Cabelas gift cards to burn up.

I've been using Woodstock that I order online. It's pretty good stuff and fairly cheap.
https://www.kitterytradingpost.com/fishing-marine/freshwater-line-terminal-tackle/freshwater-wire-line-leader/woodstock-metered-lead-core-braided-trolling-line-23610.html

Mac Attack

« Reply #93 on: Aug 10, 2020, 11:06 AM »
I've heard some good reports on this thinner diameter stuff.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/tuf-line-microlead-leadcore-fishing-line

The 832 has always been one of the highest rated leadcores and has served me quite well over the years.
But Cabelas didn't have any on the rack when I was there trying to use the gift cards.
Sooo...........

I hope I don't regret the decision.
 ;D

wallyworld

« Reply #94 on: Aug 11, 2020, 04:19 PM »
From what I've heard and read you aren't missing much by not getting out on the water this year Mac  :-\  hopefully 2021 is a better year all the way around  :)

Mac Attack

« Reply #95 on: Aug 11, 2020, 06:03 PM »
From what I've heard and read you aren't missing much by not getting out on the water this year Mac  :-\  hopefully 2021 is a better year all the way around  :)

I don't believe it.
I think the fish are out deep.
Out by the line.

Hard for me to prove it though.

Mac Attack

« Reply #96 on: Aug 27, 2020, 07:58 AM »
For the most part, the boat ran ok. But there's still performance issues. When I started it at the dock it wouldn't idle down. Was running about 1400-1500 rpm. Lifted the hood and played with the linkage and it dropped down to like 800-850. Still didn't feel right. It did like 45 mph when I got it back from the dealer and popped right up on top. This morning it worked well, however, we had to limit our speed to like 22-24 mph because there were some 2-3' rollers out there. But it ran well. We then stopped, fired up the Honda kicker and trolled all day. When I fired up the main motor it idled high again and we wiggled the linkage to the carb and it dropped. However, when we took off it took forever to get on plane and only managed 31-32 mph @ maybe 4100-4200 rpm. It should be about 4800-5000 at the top end. It's not the prop!!!!! I know what prop issues feel like being around these rigs all my life. I'm feeling it has to do with the throttle linkage. Not going down to low rpm and not allowing me to get to max rpm. It is supposed to rain stupid the next 3 days. So I'll read my kindle and look at youtube on throttle adjustments, etc. I'll fix it though.
In the meantime, I ordered a Selec shop manual for the Mercruiser.  It will show me the proper linkage adjustment procedure.
Another issue we have is the starboard fishwell is filling with water.  The outlet drain goes thru a pump and it works to empty it fine.  The scuppers on that side are old and don’t seal.  They can be taken out and reversed.  I’ll try that.  If that doesn’t work I’ll try to locate new ones.

wallyworld

« Reply #97 on: Aug 27, 2020, 08:12 AM »
Good luck getting all the little kinks worked out Mac, at least you got some time on the water and landed some fish  :thumbup_smilie:

Jethro

« Reply #98 on: Aug 27, 2020, 02:00 PM »
For the most part, the boat ran ok. But there's still performance issues. When I started it at the dock it wouldn't idle down. Was running about 1400-1500 rpm. Lifted the hood and played with the linkage and it dropped down to like 800-850. Still didn't feel right. It did like 45 mph when I got it back from the dealer and popped right up on top. This morning it worked well, however, we had to limit our speed to like 22-24 mph because there were some 2-3' rollers out there. But it ran well. We then stopped, fired up the Honda kicker and trolled all day. When I fired up the main motor it idled high again and we wiggled the linkage to the carb and it dropped. However, when we took off it took forever to get on plane and only managed 31-32 mph @ maybe 4100-4200 rpm. It should be about 4800-5000 at the top end. It's not the prop!!!!! I know what prop issues feel like being around these rigs all my life. I'm feeling it has to do with the throttle linkage. Not going down to low rpm and not allowing me to get to max rpm. It is supposed to rain stupid the next 3 days. So I'll read my kindle and look at youtube on throttle adjustments, etc. I'll fix it though.
In the meantime, I ordered a Selec shop manual for the Mercruiser.  It will show me the proper linkage adjustment procedure.
Another issue we have is the starboard fishwell is filling with water.  The outlet drain goes thru a pump and it works to empty it fine.  The scuppers on that side are old and don’t seal.  They can be taken out and reversed.  I’ll try that.  If that doesn’t work I’ll try to locate new ones.

Something just drives me bonkers about inboards. My Crestliner Phantom was such a PITA and it makes no sense, it was no more than a Volvo D240 sedan motor. Very simple and as reliable as the sun. But I could never get it to run just right. Then you have outboards which are so frickin' complicated it's like you need a wizards hat to work on them. But they seem to run more consistent and reliably. At least my experience. 

You'll get it all figured out, for sure. Just the learning curve of the new vessel!

Mac Attack

« Reply #99 on: Aug 27, 2020, 03:52 PM »
Something just drives me bonkers about inboards. My Crestliner Phantom was such a PITA and it makes no sense, it was no more than a Volvo D240 sedan motor. Very simple and as reliable as the sun. But I could never get it to run just right. Then you have outboards which are so frickin' complicated it's like you need a wizards hat to work on them. But they seem to run more consistent and reliably. At least my experience. 

You'll get it all figured out, for sure. Just the learning curve of the new vessel!

This 4.3 Mercruiser is very familiar to me Geoff.
My 24’ Trophy that I had in the early 90’s had the same power plant.
It was a pig in that larger sister of the 21’ rig I now own but that’s why I know this boat will do 45 mph.
The 4.3 (carbed version - not efi) is a very reliable motor and you simply cannot beat a Mercruiser outdrive.
Yup, I’ll figure it out.

Mac Attack

« Reply #100 on: Aug 28, 2020, 11:45 AM »
Called my buddy at the dealer
He said bring it back cause it’s still under warranty.
This afternoon I’ll haul it up there.....again.
Lol

Jethro

« Reply #101 on: Aug 31, 2020, 01:47 PM »
Called my buddy at the dealer
He said bring it back cause it’s still under warranty.
This afternoon I’ll haul it up there.....again.
Lol

Trailer works good, that's getting a workout!

Mac Attack

« Reply #102 on: Aug 31, 2020, 02:43 PM »
Trailer works good, that's getting a workout!

:laugh:

Mac Attack

« Reply #103 on: Sep 02, 2020, 09:28 AM »
Dealer fixed the problem.
It was linkage.

They also found out why my trim tabs don't work.

I effed up - when I mounted the onboard battery charger in the cuddy I drilled thru the control board on the opposite side of the wall.
Ouch!
$200 for a new board but they will install for free.

dumba$$   ::)

You would think I should know better by now.  lol

Anyway, I get the boat back for some fishing this holiday weekend.
It then goes back there next week for that board and some slides on the bunks to make it go on and come off the trailer easier.
I was going to do the slides myself but it involves yanking the boat for a bit while I do the work.
They have the lift there or can use their launch.

Also getting full canvass for it too.   ;D

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #104 on: Sep 02, 2020, 02:02 PM »
Dealer fixed the problem.
It was linkage.

They also found out why my trim tabs don't work.

I effed up - when I mounted the onboard battery charger in the cuddy I drilled thru the control board on the opposite side of the wall.
[/size]Ouch!
$200 for a new board but they will install for free.

dumba$$   ::)

You would think I should know better by now.  lol

Anyway, I get the boat back for some fishing this holiday weekend.
It then goes back there next week for that board and some slides on the bunks to make it go on and come off the trailer easier.
I was going to do the slides myself but it involves yanking the boat for a bit while I do the work.
They have the lift there or can use their launch.

Also getting full canvass for it too.   ;D
No comment.  I'll just shake my head......
Bigger isn't always better but Size definitely Matters!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.