FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Alaskan arctic char one trophy class fish  (Read 5830 times)

Barleydog

• Wishin' I was a fishin'
Alaskan arctic char one trophy class fish
« on: Jun 13, 2004, 01:25 PM »
Took two folks out from the lower 48 on Friday night after work.  We fished until 3:00 AM, and only managed 4 fish between the two of them.  Although the numbers were not typical, the fish were decent sized.  One of the fish is a trophy class 10.7 lb. fish that has been registered with the state, (any char over 10.0 lbs. is considered trophy certification material here in Alaska.)  Fish On!  Barleydog 

Nice 5 lb. fish.... good eats!

[/img]
Trophy class 10.7 lb. char

[/img]
7 lb. fish

[/img]
nice fish with lots of color 8.5 lbs.

camo_fish

• Heeeeere Fishy, Fishy, Fishy
Re: Alaskan arctic char one trophy class fish
« Reply #1 on: Jun 13, 2004, 03:11 PM »
nice looking fish  ;D
Fishing isn't a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that!

I live with FEAR everyday, and sometimes she lets me go fishing!

trapperdirk

« Reply #2 on: Jun 13, 2004, 03:52 PM »
Those Arctic Char happen to be one of the most great looking fish on this planet . Someday I hope to catch one but in the meantime I'll stick to his cousin the brookie . Great pics Barleydog .
The bush is not a passion , it's in my soul.

TD

Fishingking

« Reply #3 on: Jun 13, 2004, 06:34 PM »
wow those are some monster char  pretty fish too  use too raise them in school for food source  mmm tasty too
Team NY 
Was that nice enough for you?

Anchorman

« Reply #4 on: Jun 14, 2004, 06:21 AM »
Nice fish,Barley dog.
If you don't mind me asking, what did ya'll catch them on? I'll be up in Greenland in a week, and am going to give em a try.
Anchorman.

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #5 on: Jun 14, 2004, 11:00 AM »
I've always wanted to catch one of those, they look like they would be a lot of fun to catch, and then tasty to eat.

Nice fish.

Barleydog

« Reply #6 on: Jun 14, 2004, 01:54 PM »
Thanks guys! ;D  Anchorman, most of them are caught on large flies and spoons trolled at pretty good depths, (80-90 ft.)  Most fish caught on rivers, spoons like pixies, cleos, vibrax spinners, and a wide variety of flies are a must.  Hope you post pics when your done! ;D -Barleydog 

Anchorman

« Reply #7 on: Jun 14, 2004, 05:11 PM »
Barleydog,
Thanks for the tip. I'll be shore fishing on a large lake. (which lower my odds to probably zilch)
I'm gonna give it hell though. Thanks,
Anchorman.

Barleydog

« Reply #8 on: Jun 15, 2004, 01:27 PM »
Anchorman,  Give me an IM before you take off and I'll give you a list of lures to pick-up.  My understanding is that all char will vary little in lure prefrences.  From Sweden to Alaska they all seem to like the same gear.

Anchorman

« Reply #9 on: Jun 17, 2004, 08:46 AM »
Hey Barleydog,
The only access to computers I have is at work, and a firewall prohibits any IM'ing.
I've been told everything from a swedish pimple at a high retrieval rate, to a brown wet fly with a split shot attached. I'll be fishing in a landlocked glacial lake 90 miles north of the arctic circle, on the west coast of Greenland. The lake is deep and dark, I understand iceout was a few weeks ago, so probably very cold water.
Thanks for any help,
Anchorman

Barleydog

« Reply #10 on: Jun 17, 2004, 01:00 PM »
Here's a list of shore line baits that you can try...
med. Pimples, med. cleos, med 1/2 oz. pixies, sm. crocodile spoons, #3 and #4 vibrax spinners, mepps spinners in black with orange and or pink dots, large panther martin spinners, jigs up to 1/2 oz. (especially black), etc...
Try to stick with colors like green, orange, and pink.  Pink if they are in the spawn will work best!  Dollies and Char seem to really prefer pink when in the spawn.  Green colors will imitate the natural baits like landlocked herring, ciscoes, etc.... 
Flies would be best used when the fish are surfacing or cruising near the top.  I like to use:  Egg butted leaches, egg sucking leaches, scuds, bead heads, muddlers, herring fly patterns in green, streamers.  If they are surfacing they seem to like anything moving and are not picky what so ever! 
Sounds like you'll be in a place where the fish grow slow, but possibly large!?!?  You can bump up or down any lure size when targeting a particular sized fish.  Try to remember that char will roll in your line!  They fight extremely well, and rarely jump, but roll, roll, and roll until they loose the hook and get re-hooked in the tail!  Hope this helps? ;D

Anchorman

« Reply #11 on: Jun 17, 2004, 01:29 PM »
Barleydog,
Well, you got my blood pumping. I'll give ya'll a full report somtime after the 22nd.
Thanks again,
Anchorman.

Jigwiggler

« Reply #12 on: Jun 19, 2004, 05:48 PM »
Barelydog, those are some awesome pics and great fish too!!

Anchorman, good luck on your trip!!  Take lots of pics. ;D
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

Anchorman

« Reply #13 on: Jun 23, 2004, 07:35 AM »
Hey guys,
Went out last night from about 10:30 to 2:30 PM and caught 8 char. My other 2 buddies picked up quite a few also. All on the yellow and silver Panther martin spinner. Things are going good. I'm here until Saturday, so alot more fishing to do. ;D
Anchorman.

Anchorman

« Reply #14 on: Jun 23, 2004, 08:59 AM »
Hey Slipbob,
I packed a couple dozen brookies from New York for eating. I'm currently doing the catch and release thing, but the fish are dark, almost black, with a brilliant orange underside. They have some light spots on them too. I'd imagine they taste pretty good though.
Anchorman

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.