FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: New State Record Brown Trout Missouri  (Read 3334 times)

taxid

New State Record Brown Trout Missouri
« on: Sep 08, 2019, 08:03 PM »
Anybody not think this fish was muching on stockers?  40 lbs. 6 oz.

https://www.kfvs12.com/2019/09/06/new-mo-state-record-brown-trout-caught-lake-taneycomo/

https://www.news-leader.com/story/news/local/ozarks/2019/09/06/fishing-world-record-brown-trout-lake-taneycomo/2220840001/

The thing that always amazes me about brown trout in lakes and reservoirs is some fish outlive and out grow rainbows in the same body of water.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

lowaccord66

Re: New State Record Brown Trout Missouri
« Reply #1 on: Sep 09, 2019, 10:04 AM »
Mice, voles, small birds, and probably every baitfish imaginable.  Nice fish!

zwiggles

« Reply #2 on: Sep 09, 2019, 10:25 AM »
A guy I follow on YouTube fishes that river, and he has some videos of stupid big browns under his dock. He says the giant one eats the guts/carcasses that get tossed from cleaning fish.

I’d suspect whatever this guy was eating he wasn’t expending much energy to cause it down. If I remember correctly the big ones are Triploids also. Assuming this one is a triploid as well, but I don’t see it mentioned anywhere?

taxid

« Reply #3 on: Sep 09, 2019, 05:22 PM »
A guy I follow on YouTube fishes that river, and he has some videos of stupid big browns under his dock. He says the giant one eats the guts/carcasses that get tossed from cleaning fish.

I’d suspect whatever this guy was eating he wasn’t expending much energy to cause it down. If I remember correctly the big ones are Triploids also. Assuming this one is a triploid as well, but I don’t see it mentioned anywhere?

Missouri Dept Conservation says it is a triploid.  As far as carcasses I have heard of browns and steelhead feeding on the carcasses of dead king salmon.

I still say fish like this forage on newly stocked 8 to 10 inch trout. I remember reading in Outdoor life years ago about big browns nailing smaller trout as they were dumped in by a stocking truck at Pepacton reservoir. This was in the late 60's early 70's. The smaller newly stocked trout were clueless and easily picked off.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

zwiggles

« Reply #4 on: Sep 10, 2019, 10:02 PM »

Pretty neat video of said fish. I’m surprised it didn’t make it, you can tell those guys know what they’re doing and did a great job trying to get the fish back swimming.

zwiggles

« Reply #5 on: Sep 11, 2019, 07:22 AM »
why is it a surprise it didn't make it?  said it was caught on 3# line.  that means it was fought to death when caught.  they must have been gill fishing or something, and caught it on accident?  smoke that sucker up!

Did you watch the video?

taxid

« Reply #6 on: Sep 11, 2019, 11:37 AM »
Not trying to be negative but I didn't see much for aeration in the first tank. Also looked like they then dumped it into well water, which may have been at least 10 degrees colder than the original water and low in oxygen. A 10 degree change or more can cause a fish to go into shock. With my experience handling trout, I would have used salt and an ammonia remover with plenty of aeration. Not sure if they did. Salt makes a BIG difference when a fish is stressed. That said, it's an old fish (8 to 9 years old)  (Make your 90 year old grandpa run even one wind sprint and see what happens.)

Additonally Missouri Fish & Game said this about catching trout this time of year in the reservoir:

"Due to low dissolved oxygen conditions present in Lake Taneycomo in the fall, anglers should attempt to minimize the time that they fight and handle fish caught below the dam to ensure the health of the fish."

That said this fish was near the end of it's life span. I commend the anglers with trying to revive it but not all fish survive hook and line no matter what you do. And being a triploid it was sterile.

zwiggles

« Reply #7 on: Sep 11, 2019, 12:48 PM »
@taxid

Yeah agree with most of what you said. Looks like they are pulling the water from the lake/river for the upper tank, but could be a well too. You know way more about this stuff than most of us, and I appreciate your input as always.

I also agree they should be commended for trying to keep it swimming. You could tell they were concerned for the fishes well being which is what I enjoyed.

Also if you check out some of the older videos he has, the previous state record brown from earlier this year was assessed at the same place, and that one did swim away. You’re probably right about the low O2 in the river/lake being an issue.

I’m still blown away by the fishery they have down there. I’d never think to travel that far south for excellent trout fishing!

lowaccord66

« Reply #8 on: Sep 11, 2019, 01:01 PM »
Old fish too.  Id have to imagine its tolerance for such activities decreases with age.

taxid

« Reply #9 on: Sep 11, 2019, 07:58 PM »
Zwiggles.

Doesn't matter how fast south you are if you pull water out of the bottom of a reservoir (tail race). That said the White River and Red River are pretty amazing down there. I just wish my state would manage the few natural lakes we have for large trout instead of put and take, and allow us to reestablish smelt as a forage fish.

Fish Farmer

« Reply #10 on: Sep 13, 2019, 12:03 PM »
FWIW I used to work at an Atlantic Salmon broodstock hatchery. We had one big male which was 50 lbs in a 20 foot circular tank with other "smaller" salmon. Every Friday when we would clean the tank and draw the water down, the fish would get winded and lay on the bottom of the tank. He would right himself after an hour. Once he never got back up.

Think of this fish like an obese person who doesn't exercise trying to climb Mount Everest without oxygen.

zwiggles

« Reply #11 on: Sep 13, 2019, 12:55 PM »
Zwiggles.

Doesn't matter how fast south you are if you pull water out of the bottom of a reservoir (tail race). That said the White River and Red River are pretty amazing down there. I just wish my state would manage the few natural lakes we have for large trout instead of put and take, and allow us to reestablish smelt as a forage fish.

Agreed on bath parts. Even if only a quarter of the lakes were managed as cold water fisheries I think we would be happy.

taxid

« Reply #12 on: Sep 13, 2019, 04:43 PM »
FWIW I used to work at an Atlantic Salmon broodstock hatchery. We had one big male which was 50 lbs in a 20 foot circular tank with other "smaller" salmon. Every Friday when we would clean the tank and draw the water down, the fish would get winded and lay on the bottom of the tank. He would right himself after an hour. Once he never got back up.

Think of this fish like an obese person who doesn't exercise trying to climb Mount Everest without oxygen.

Why wasn't the circular tank self cleaning? All my circular tank systems I built are self cleaning.

Fish Farmer

« Reply #13 on: Sep 14, 2019, 11:19 AM »

Why wasn't the circular tank self cleaning? All my circular tank systems I built are self cleaning.

It was....for solids...but a biofilm would collect on the surface(it was a plastic liner). If you didn't get in the tank and scrub the bottom every week, you could fall on your butt, it would get so slippery. We did all our spawning/sorting inside the tank, it was easier than lifting 15 to 30 lb  salmon out of the tank.

We had a system, get in the tank, scrub one spot so you could stand up, then cycle through the whole floor, get out and pull the outside sump plug to partially drain the tank.

taxid

« Reply #14 on: Sep 14, 2019, 11:34 AM »
Interesting.  I've never had issues with biofilm. And I find draining tanks with fish in them, moving fish etc., is a stressor I try to avoid.

I'm going to hatch the trout in an RAS raceway this winter vs. the floating baskets. The baskets collect debris and clog. I think I may have had some gill issues witnessed by some short gill covers. Probably irritation from suspended particles in the baskets. I'm hoping with a raceway I can screen off the fish periodically and clean and flush any debris out. May move them to the circular tank once they get to be a certain size though.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.