FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: question about replica fish mount (updated with picture)  (Read 2057 times)

eyehi

i just found an old picture of a native brook trout i caught years ago and wish i had the fish mounted. i think it was 17 1/2 inches long . the picture is not the best quality but i was wondering if a replica mount could be made? anyone have any advice on replica mounts?
here is the picture of a picture
Budweiser pro staff

BBK

Re: question about replica fish mount
« Reply #1 on: Jul 23, 2011, 10:36 PM »
It could, but he will have to do a one side true mount, since the picture probably only shows one half of the fish. One side (the show side) would be painted the same as your picture, then the other either the same or slightly different to make it look natural. As long as the person doing it has a mold for a 17.5" brookie it shouldnt be any problem.

eyehi

« Reply #2 on: Jul 24, 2011, 05:35 AM »
thanks for the advice bbk i always regreted not having that fish stuffed :)
Budweiser pro staff

JAMMER

« Reply #3 on: Jul 24, 2011, 08:19 AM »
Yes BBK is correct, my bro-in-law does taxidermy and they just take out the catalog order species and size if not on hand. It is an art what they can do. Good luck on mount.

Jammer

Madpuppy

• HOWASAPA
« Reply #4 on: Jul 24, 2011, 08:31 AM »
I think it's common practice that if the taxi doesn't have a 17.5" mold that he will always round the measurement up to the next size ::) At least that holds true with fish stories so I don't think there is any difference with mounts eh ;D
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

hook-set

« Reply #5 on: Jul 24, 2011, 11:07 AM »
the picture will indeed help with coloration of your fish .but as far as the casting size there is more to consider than length .you need girth which can also probably be somewhat calculated through the picture.you will also have to consider the pose of your mount left to right or right to left head out or straight tail out or flat mouth open or closed gill plate open or closed are all things to think about when ordering your casting..i will say this .reproduction mounts usually look and come out much nicer than a skin mount and you will be happy you did it !! good luck hope it resembles enough to bring back the feeling you experienced when you first set eyes on the real fish !!

SISIF

« Reply #6 on: Jul 28, 2011, 07:59 AM »
Madpuppy, aren't you a few states too low to be saying "eh"? :P

Madpuppy

• HOWASAPA
Re: question about replica fish mount (updated with picture)
« Reply #7 on: Jul 30, 2011, 09:30 PM »
Never to far south to speak the langauge of the Great White North eh! Now if you'll excuse me I got a pan of Backbacon goin' and I don't wanna burn it, ya hoser. Good day eh.
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.