FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle
This board sponsored by
Please visit out sponsor FishUSA.com

Author Topic: EEL Fishing  (Read 4152 times)

bugman-Greg

EEL Fishing
« on: Aug 11, 2004, 09:54 AM »
Was wondering if anyone could tell me how to fish for eel, good time of day, what to use and poss. where to find some
My dad would really like to have some to eat and I would like to get a few for him

Jigwiggler

Re: EEL Fishing
« Reply #1 on: Aug 11, 2004, 11:28 AM »
I have only ever caught one out of the Susquehanna and that was while channel cat fishing at night (caught on cut bait).  I here there are quite a few caught out of the Deleware though.
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

bayonne

« Reply #2 on: Aug 11, 2004, 04:36 PM »
the delaware is loaded with them but are mostly smaller in size with some big ones mixed in but im sure the tidal part bigger ones night crawler or what ever cat bait will catch them use long shank hooks much easyer to un hook use a rag to grip them  thier very slimmy and small ones make good striper bait

Polar

« Reply #3 on: Aug 11, 2004, 05:19 PM »
Wow somebody that fishes for eels ;D.Everytime I've caught one was by accident and I just cut the line. eels,mudpuppies,lamprey's .Only use for them are firebricks ;D

Jigwiggler

« Reply #4 on: Aug 11, 2004, 05:26 PM »
Wow somebody that fishes for eels ;D.Everytime I've caught one was by accident and I just cut the line. eels,mudpuppies,lamprey's .Only use for them are firebricks ;D

I kept and cleaned the only eel I ever caught and it was very good.  Reminded me of bullhead.  It is very greasy though.  I followed an old timers advice and cut it into 1" chunks and fried it on end.  The grease runs right out.
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

Polar

« Reply #5 on: Aug 11, 2004, 05:45 PM »

I kept and cleaned the only eel I ever caught and it was very good.  Reminded me of bullhead.  It is very greasy though.  I followed an old timers advice and cut it into 1" chunks and fried it on end.  The grease runs right out.

They remind me of a snake with fins, ;D I don't think I could ever try one for supper.I could however put one on a hook for a striper.

fastribs85

« Reply #6 on: Aug 11, 2004, 05:53 PM »
if you live near bristol on the delaware ive caught them there all the time some with some nice size plus ive heard of then being caught in morrisville
naked women and beer we got it all in here

suskymusky

« Reply #7 on: Aug 20, 2004, 04:48 AM »
Eels are a lot of fun to fish for.I haven't gone to the Delaware for them in a few years,but its loaded with them.We use a couple split shot sinkers, a good snap-swivel and snelled hooks.They twist your line up bad if you don't have a good swivel.Set up in a decent size hole an hour before dark, and use nightwalkers or hellgramites.When you get one, just unsnap the eel hook and all into a bucket.Its a lot easier to put a new hook on than it is to unhook them.If you have to unhook them , throw some sand on them and grab them with a towel.Good luck!
"IMAGINATION is more important than KNOWLEDGE" Albert Einstein

Riverjet

« Reply #8 on: Oct 06, 2004, 07:04 PM »
The rancocas creek across from the linden ave ramp on the del. river is loaded with them.
Heaven is a shallow river & a jet

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.