FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Live lining Mackerel... drag on or off?  (Read 3558 times)

Knot there yet

Re: Live lining Mackerel... drag on or off?
« Reply #15 on: Jul 30, 2018, 11:36 AM »
Great info Joe. My first season with lever drag just for those reasons. (Avet two speed)It’s  hard getting used to not touching drag.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #16 on: Jul 30, 2018, 01:10 PM »
Great info Joe. My first season with lever drag just for those reasons. (Avet two speed)It’s  hard getting used to not touching drag.

These are great. I own 4 Avet's and use them for fluke, seabass, striped bass, blue fish and tautog. Though one of them has had new bearings replaced every year so far from me burning them out with 12oz sinkers, I still love them.

I did pick up a new Shimano TranX for my jig stick and boy do I love it.

Wicked Wec

porkpiehat

« Reply #17 on: Jul 30, 2018, 02:16 PM »
Yup! thanks Joe I'm bookmarking :)

Knot there yet

« Reply #18 on: Jul 31, 2018, 07:24 AM »
These are great. I own 4 Avet's and use them for fluke, seabass, striped bass, blue fish and tautog. Though one of them has had new bearings replaced every year so far from me burning them out with 12oz sinkers, I still love them.

Do you have left hand retrieve on all of them? Love that power handle.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #19 on: Jul 31, 2018, 10:54 AM »

Yes. I am a righty but when it comes to fishing I retrieve with my left hand regardless of what type of reel I am using. Most of the time I have to pay more for reels because of that. However, I have no issues retrieving with my right, ask my old man. lol  Ambidextrous fisherman I guess.

Why do you ask?
Wicked Wec

Roccus

« Reply #20 on: Jul 31, 2018, 11:13 AM »
Yup! thanks Joe I'm bookmarking :)

BTW... I meant to say this on one of your posts on ice shanty.. love your screen name...my favorite plug maker of all time Danny Pinkney wore a pork Pie hat when he fished...

Knot there yet

« Reply #21 on: Jul 31, 2018, 12:47 PM »
Yes. I am a righty but when it comes to fishing I retrieve with my left hand regardless of what type of reel I am using. Most of the time I have to pay more for reels because of that. However, I have no issues retrieving with my right, ask my old man. lol  Ambidextrous fisherman I guess.

Why do you ask?
cause I’m the opposite. I could never find the even numbers penn Z’s or a van staal in stock. Small van’s but I wanted 250B (B right hand retrieve). And I don’t like spending that much on a reel without holding it first. So I’m Penn Ss fan but have been slowly transitioning back to conventional reels . And even considered one(level line) for surf. Then right hand retrieve is normal.

porkpiehat

« Reply #22 on: Jul 31, 2018, 10:05 PM »
BTW... I meant to say this on one of your posts on ice shanty.. love your screen name...my favorite plug maker of all time Danny Pinkney wore a pork Pie hat when he fished...

Haha I don't even own one but a friend of mine joked I should have one and I loved the idea. My family is french and they cook them for holidays all the time...the pies, not the hats lol.

porkpiehat

« Reply #23 on: Jul 31, 2018, 10:07 PM »
cause I’m the opposite. I could never find the even numbers penn Z’s or a van staal in stock. Small van’s but I wanted 250B (B right hand retrieve). And I don’t like spending that much on a reel without holding it first. So I’m Penn Ss fan but have been slowly transitioning back to conventional reels . And even considered one(level line) for surf. Then right hand retrieve is normal.

I've always been a left hand retrieve guy until I got tendonitis in my right elbow and I have to switch hands. Not as tough as I thought.

lowaccord66

« Reply #24 on: Aug 01, 2018, 10:07 AM »

Want another avet? I was given a 2 speed left hand retrieve.  Doesnt excite me that it cant hold up to 12oz...my 400 bsv calcutta has for years.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #25 on: Aug 01, 2018, 11:52 AM »
Want another avet? I was given a 2 speed left hand retrieve.  Doesnt excite me that it cant hold up to 12oz...my 400 bsv calcutta has for years.

Sure let me know what you want. I can use and abuse it like my others, that's for sure. Little guy will be on the boat with me next season so this would also help out.
Wicked Wec

porkpiehat

« Reply #26 on: Aug 02, 2018, 09:36 PM »

Not familiar with this reel. I don't really have the baitcasting skills yet. Any benefit to using these over a shimano baitrunner set up? these send to give me the most versatility for casting, fishing with lead, etc.

Knot there yet

« Reply #27 on: Aug 03, 2018, 07:33 AM »
I’d be interested pm. Me. Especially if it’s MC(magic cast)model

lowaccord66

« Reply #28 on: Aug 03, 2018, 08:09 AM »
Not familiar with this reel. I don't really have the baitcasting skills yet. Any benefit to using these over a shimano baitrunner set up? these send to give me the most versatility for casting, fishing with lead, etc.

Two different machines if you ask me.  If you go with a baitrunner the old ones were awesome.

Knot there that was more of a sarcastic comment after sharps mentioned breaking his.  I need to fish with it first.  Ill double check the model.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.