FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Do our Conservation Officers work weekends?  (Read 3097 times)

taxid

Do our Conservation Officers work weekends?
« on: Aug 27, 2017, 09:26 AM »
The reason I ask is a few years back I called in a violation and was told,  "Sorry, "No officer on duty this weekend." Then a few months ago I had a customer that had a question on whether he could at least put a boat on a local lake that was flooded if he just used and electric motor. I said, "Well lets call and see," Again was told sorry no officer on duty this weekend."

Why wouldn't somebody be on duty on the weekend? Seems that's when most of the people are out.

Yesterday I could have had a field day writing citations with boating violations on Olin lake of the Oliver Lake Chain.  One of my customers says he hasn't seen an officer on that lake chain in years.  

Even had a guy standing on a surf board looking thing paddling around the lake with no PFD. I suspect he was drinking as his buddies on the pontoon probably were judging by the hooting and hollering which is not a good combination.

And no I'm not trying to beat up on our law enforcement division. Just asking a legitimate question. Is it a budget issue?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

wallydiven

• n.w. indiana
Re: Do our Conservation Officers work weekends?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 27, 2017, 10:55 AM »
I see them on K-county lakes almost every weekend. And just because you "think" someone is under the influence doesn't mean they're are unless you see them in the act of over indulging. The laws of pfd's on boats is very clear. That said, I'm only assuming that surf "boat" was more likely just one of those stand up surf "boards" in which case, one would not need a pfd.

taxid

« Reply #2 on: Aug 27, 2017, 03:19 PM »
I see them on K-county lakes almost every weekend. And just because you "think" someone is under the influence doesn't mean they're are unless you see them in the act of over indulging. The laws of pfd's on boats is very clear. That said, I'm only assuming that surf "boat" was more likely just one of those stand up surf "boards" in which case, one would not need a pfd.

Well not over here in N county or L county apparently.

Of course one can not assume they are, but if he was drunk and no PFD you'd have to admit it could be a dangerous combination.

So no PFD needed on a flimsy board you could easily fall off of vs. a boat? Well that doesn't make sense.

BTW how many can safely ride on a pontoon boat? Anybody know?  I saw at least 20 people on a couple out there. Seems like a lot of weight. Did seem like much room to stack 20 or more PFD's either.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #3 on: Aug 27, 2017, 03:26 PM »
last year at oliver there was a black toon that liked to run around with no lights on after dark.  he was for sure going over the 10mph night time speed limit too.  all i know is, for the number of lakes we have, there are very few wardens.

I was working for the INDNR one summer way back in 1977. Was coming in from doing a creel survey on Sylvan Lake in Noble County. It was dark. Got missed by an overloaded boat going full speed by just a couple of feet. The people laughed as they went by. Unbelievably stupid people out there.  I clearly had running lights. Didn't seem to matter.

I've noticed many people don't seen to have a clue on running lights once it starts getting to be dusk on the lakes I'm on.

taxid

« Reply #4 on: Aug 27, 2017, 03:31 PM »
I sure dont let that bother me though.  some have real attitude issues.  yes, there are a couple decent ones too.  its the bad ones that ruin it for the good ones.  when one rolls up on you with the mirrored sunglasses, its time to pull out your own pair.  lol  they get what they give with me. 

Had a very good experience with two patrol officers just north of Wolcottville headed to Oliver one evening. I couldn't figure out why my dash lights weren't working and next thing I know I get pulled over. The Officer said he pulled me over because I had no tail lights on the trailer or vehicle. We determined I had probably blew a a fuse and another officer showed up  who had the same vehicle (Saturn Vue) to show me where the dash light control button was. (It's the wife's car).

Anyway no citation but the officer requested i turn on my flashers for safety. I could have headed on to the lake but decided to head home that night.

tater140

« Reply #5 on: Aug 28, 2017, 07:26 AM »
I have always been treated professionally by any co I have ever been in contact with through the years on the water (or Ice). 

taxid

« Reply #6 on: Aug 28, 2017, 09:41 AM »
I have always been treated professionally by any co I have ever been in contact with through the years on the water (or Ice).  

Can't say I've had a bad experience either but then again I've only run into one on the lake in the 50 years I've lived in Indiana and that was K county. Maybe because they have a building next to Wawasee?

Piggyn

« Reply #7 on: Aug 28, 2017, 09:58 PM »

Same here.
Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

LakeMan999

« Reply #8 on: Aug 29, 2017, 07:22 AM »
1.) Like kayaks, you DO need PFD on stand-up paddleboards. You don't have to wear it but one has to be with you. At least thats what a CO told my neighbor after he was stopped without one (friendly warning).

2.) Issues with the County Prosecutors have prevented CO's from effectively patrolling lakes in Lagrange County for a number of years now. Why patrol and write tickets if the prosecutor won't enforce or prosecute offenders.   

taxid

« Reply #9 on: Aug 29, 2017, 08:37 AM »
1.) Like kayaks, you DO need PFD on stand-up paddleboards. You don't have to wear it but one has to be with you. At least thats what a CO told my neighbor after he was stopped without one (friendly warning).

2.) Issues with the County Prosecutors have prevented CO's from effectively patrolling lakes in Lagrange County for a number of years now. Why patrol and write tickets if the prosecutor won't enforce or prosecute offenders.   

Thank you for the information. No surprise with the latter. I've heard lots of stories of prosecutors blowing off fish and game violations. We all need to write letters to our prosecutors or threaten not to vote for them if they take fish and game violations lightly.

crappiecrusher34

« Reply #10 on: Aug 29, 2017, 08:56 PM »
I have been checked at least ten times this year and I would say that is about avg for me. I do get out a lot but have fished in many other states this year and never saw a co there. I had to show vest throw device fishing license  registration for boat while fishing in a tournament two weeks ago. I will say the officer was fast about it though. Maybe the Northeast has to much water to cover🤔  Ill take no ones around to come help, over we have to have paltrols on are lakes just to keep the peace bc of the alcohol and boat speeds. Not sure why I ever get checked when the pleasure boaters are out. Seem to see a lot of public intoxication but they need to see my fishing license is the only thing that up sets me.

taxid

« Reply #11 on: Aug 30, 2017, 09:14 AM »
I have a nephew that patrols Sylvan Lake when he is not working at the Noble County Jail.  I believe the lake association pays his wages. He gets flack from some of the lakers as in "We pay your wages you can't tell us what to do."  Must be a different generation of entitled people as I would never even think of talking back to an LEO. It's also a good way to make your situation worse.

He had one case where an elderly woman would move a marker buoy from a designated spot, I think in the narrows, and he would move it back. She was really mouthy and kept moving it. I asked him if he was still putting up with that and he said she has passed away.

On a funny note years ago (1970's) all I had for a boat was a styrofoam Sea Snark sail boat. Used it like a canoe. One day I got out on Oliver and realized I had forgotten my anchor. So I made a noose around the first buoy out of the public access going east off a long point on the north shore. Next thing I know it was like the world had ended as we know it as an elderly woman came barreling out of her door screaming at the top of her lungs, GET AWAY FROM THAT!

God I thought she was going to have a heart attack! And me too!

I realize now what I did was a no no but for God's sake it wasn't akin to a nuclear attack!

abishop

« Reply #12 on: Aug 30, 2017, 11:26 AM »
I made a mistake one time tying to a buoy on a river cause my anchor wouldn't hold. WRONG. Got a citation after the warden checked ALL other things that could of gotten fined for. Then when all else checked he wrote me up.

taxid

« Reply #13 on: Aug 30, 2017, 03:53 PM »
I made a mistake one time tying to a buoy on a river cause my anchor wouldn't hold. WRONG. Got a citation after the warden checked ALL other things that could of gotten fined for. Then when all else checked he wrote me up.

Sorry to hear that Al.

Boomer

« Reply #14 on: Aug 30, 2017, 07:36 PM »
I currently work on an InDNR property. There are times, according to our protocol, that we have to call Central Dispatch for an officer (we also have their home phones but would not use it unless it is a dire emergency). There are times when an officer is not close and may be over an hour away or on a lake somewhere. Other times an officer may be off duty or even on vacation. Also, it is possible that a county may be down an officer or more due to people leaving. Yes, it is frustrating to call only to be told one is not available. In that case ask the dispatcher who you should call and the number. IF it is a serious matter I am sure someone will be in contact with you. Get the info and say you would like to hear from an officer when they are available.

With that said. A new recruit class of officers are getting ready to enter the force. It will be a learning process for them too. The officers I have worked with this year have been more helpful than I could ever have imagined. Many of them have experience and would rather educate instead of punish but there are times . . .

Let us all enjoy this weekend coming up and make it safe for all. Good news is that fishermen and hunters will still be out in a few weeks but where will all those pleasure boaters go?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.