FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: look at this monster!!  (Read 4616 times)

mark mercer

• Team Mercer
look at this monster!!
« on: Jul 02, 2004, 10:46 AM »
i posted this in the nj section also but i wanted everyone to see

i was fishing in the pond in front of my school the other day with bread for carp and much to my surprise came home with this bad boy. this snapping turtle was caught on 4lb test and i average its weight at 20-25 pounds it was a huge thing to be caught on an ultrat light, with 4lb test, hope u guys enjoy the pics.

p.s my shoes are size 11 in that pic so thats a size comparison.

fishercat

• hard water or soft water just let me fish
Re: look at this monster!!
« Reply #1 on: Jul 02, 2004, 11:04 AM »
Did you keep him for the crock pot. ;D ;D
I fish for those "stupid fish" BASS. Largemouth Smallmouth Stripers, and even Rock bass.

bayonne

« Reply #2 on: Jul 02, 2004, 11:07 AM »
my son got one biger than that when he was only 8 on a zebco push button man thier ficous his took a killie under a bobber in pond in the delawarewarter gap

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #3 on: Jul 06, 2004, 01:07 PM »
Yes, I have seen and caught those before.

Over spring break when i was on the Henry's Fork of The Snake River in Idaho, I saw about 2 that were probably around 15 lbs. I wanted to catch them to eat them, and could've, but I wasn't sure if they taste good or not.

So... my question... How do they taste? How do you cook them?

Jigwiggler

« Reply #4 on: Jul 06, 2004, 05:49 PM »

So... my question... How do they taste? How do you cook them?

Tastes like chicken!  ;D  Really it does,  I've only had it in soup.  It was really good.  I've never cleaned one but hear it is one heck of a job.

May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

OTIS

« Reply #5 on: Jul 14, 2004, 11:36 AM »
With out a doubt one of the best soups that you'll ever have.  I thought it was mote like a beef flavor / texture.  Not sure how to clean one, I passed two up while they were crossing the road both around 15-20 lbs.  All I could think of was turtle soup.  Man I miss New Orleans...
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

USMC130FE

• Team NY will RULE!!!!
« Reply #6 on: Jul 14, 2004, 12:07 PM »
Cleaning them isn't really all that hard to do.  You just have to have a sharp knife and the tenacity to get the job done.  Their table fare is exceptional when fried.  I never did have the soup but know quite a few people that enjoy it that way.  Anyone needing cleaning instructions let me know and I'll do my best to help out.

T/L Ya'll,
Steve
Sure the Marines are a department of the Navy........... We're the MENS DEPARTMENT!!!

Jigwiggler

« Reply #7 on: Jul 14, 2004, 02:10 PM »
Cleaning them isn't really all that hard to do.  You just have to have a sharp knife and the tenacity to get the job done.  Their table fare is exceptional when fried.  I never did have the soup but know quite a few people that enjoy it that way.  Anyone needing cleaning instructions let me know and I'll do my best to help out.

T/L Ya'll,
Steve

How about adding it to the Clean em', Cook em', Eat em' board?  Throw in your favorite recipes if you'd like.  Large snapper's are quite plentiful and readily available to most.  Could be a popular topic.  ;D

fozsey

« Reply #8 on: Jul 14, 2004, 02:21 PM »
i posted this in the nj section also but i wanted everyone to see

i was fishing in the pond in front of my school the other day with bread for carp and much to my surprise came home with this bad boy. this snapping turtle was caught on 4lb test and i average its weight at 20-25 pounds it was a huge thing to be caught on an ultrat light, with 4lb test, hope u guys enjoy the pics.

p.s my shoes are size 11 in that pic so thats a size comparison.

Mark,

Didn't anyone ever tell you not to play with snappers?  ;D ;D

I was up in Grand Forks, MN one year catfishing and I accidently snagged a snapper. When I finally got it to the bank he wasn't happy. I kept flipping him over on his shell to get my hook out of him and he kept sticking his neck out and flipping himself back over. Not a pretty picture. My hook finally came loose and he motored back into the river.

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #9 on: Jul 14, 2004, 09:02 PM »
I know a lake that has a lot of them... How about a turtle trap? What bait would you use to catch them?

USMC130FE

• Team NY will RULE!!!!
« Reply #10 on: Jul 14, 2004, 09:24 PM »
TFB, I'll answer your question in the morning........TOO many Barley pops tonight :P
I know of a few tricks and if you have the time to check things its very productive.

lines tight to ya'll :P :P ;D
Steve
Sure the Marines are a department of the Navy........... We're the MENS DEPARTMENT!!!

reubenpa

« Reply #11 on: Jul 15, 2004, 06:38 PM »
I am looking forward to your reply Steve, but I saw a guy that was trying for them using strong string, like masonry line, and a hook that was really thick and about 3 inches long and baited with beef lung!!  got them to!! 
Just wanna be fishing, not just wishin

Jigwiggler

« Reply #12 on: Jul 17, 2004, 06:46 AM »
I am looking forward to your reply Steve, but I saw a guy that was trying for them using strong string, like masonry line, and a hook that was really thick and about 3 inches long and baited with beef lung!!  got them to!! 

I used to catch alot of them when I was younger.  We would raise mallards and wood ducks and let them go in a swamp near my parents house.  The snappers would thin them out in a hurry if left in there so we caught many of them out.  I would use a very large hook 3-4" long with approx. 2" gap, I believe they were 12/0 or 14/0.  To that I would attach 2 36" wire leaders.  Then to the leaders I would use 2 strands of 50 lb. mono 1-5' in length and tie it off to a springy sapling.  For bait I would use panfish remains after they had been filleted.  1 or 2 crappies (depending on size) always worked well for me. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.