FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Mariner Training Course  (Read 3928 times)

howey1176

• Gone Fishin'
Mariner Training Course
« on: Mar 11, 2004, 11:52 AM »
Heard from a buddy of mine this morning, all people (regardless of age) operating any vessel under any kind of propulsion other than oars has to have a training course. Wether it be electric or gas.

Is this true? Do you have info?

Don't want to break any laws.

Harold

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Mariner Training Course
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11, 2004, 01:16 PM »
Howey,

NYS Safe Boating (Youth Course)
In New York State, every person between the ages of 10 and 19 who wish to operate a powerboat without adult supervision must possess a NYS Boating Safety Certificate. At the completion of the NYS Safe Boating course, students will receive this certificate. Students must be at least 10 years old, be present for all sessions (8 hours of instruction), and pass the final exam to qualify for the certificate.

Here's a link;
http://www.uscgaux.org/~0141509/courses.htm

I took mine at age 10 from the Rochester Power Squadron.......just a few years ago.....yeah! a few years ago ::)

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

BuckShotJon

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2004, 02:18 PM »
Your friend  might have got confused with the "Personal Watercraft Law" which is a requirement for Jetskis.

http://www.nysparks.com/boats/pwc/

Jon
"When the people fear the ‘government,’ that is tyranny. When the government’ fears the people, that is liberty. - Thomas Jefferson

wnybassman

• The Real "No Good"
« Reply #3 on: Mar 12, 2004, 01:19 AM »
It is in effect for all PWC operators right now, look for it to be law for ALL boaters in a couple years.  Personally, I think it is a good idea.  There are some boaters out there that don't have a clue   ???

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.