FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Oddest way you caught one...  (Read 41314 times)

Webguy

• Lured into it....... get reel!
Oddest way you caught one...
« on: Mar 19, 2004, 08:08 AM »
What's the oddest way you have caught a bullhead?

Mine was trolling a big crankbait at 4mph for muskie in 40 feet of water.

howey1176

• Gone Fishin'
Re: Oddest way you caught one...
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19, 2004, 11:00 AM »
Wonder what he was thinking ;D ;D. Looks like he got all the hooks. It's not too terribly weird but I caught them floating a fly down the Owasco outlet in Port Byron, NY from the Rochester Street bridge.
Harold

mike692

« Reply #2 on: Mar 20, 2004, 07:55 PM »
Last day of ice fishing this year, I caught two on ice ants tipped with maggots. I have also caught them on crankbaits while trolling for walleye.

crappieloo

« Reply #3 on: Mar 20, 2004, 08:27 PM »
Pitching a 5'' chub in a fastwater spillway fishing for walleyes. Trolling the bottom of a river in late oct. and snagging one off the bottom.

reelcharacter

• They call it fishing, not catching, for a reason
« Reply #4 on: Mar 21, 2004, 12:19 AM »
After a torrential rain storm, with creeks rushing higher and faster than I have ever seen them before. We were fishing off a road tube with water just pouring through it. Water chocolate brown from the swollen creek. The Bullhead hit like a freight train in water so fast moving, I did not think a fish could negotiate the current as the stream water flowed into this small reservoir.

Have also caught them on a Rapala red and white lure. First one came as quite a surprise, as I had thought them to solely be bottom feeders. As the years have gone on, I have learned this to be fairly commonplace.

-Reelcharacter
Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

acsacmboy

« Reply #5 on: Mar 21, 2004, 09:55 AM »
fishing for smallmouths in about 40 fow. thought it was a nice bass. turned out to be a big bullhead. mid october.
Randy Mason
FLCC 09' Fisheries Technology major

fishin_musician

• Stupid's the New Awesome
« Reply #6 on: Mar 22, 2004, 10:52 PM »
This wasn't a catch exactly but unusual none the less. I was fishing for smallies in the Susquehanna River wet wading and walking the shoreline casting to likely spots. After giving one nice boulder strewn swirl a thorough working with no results, I began walking up river towards the next good spot. A violent splash startled me and I turned to see the last of the disturbance on the surface of the water where I had just been fishing. I worked my way up the river for a little while then headed back down river. when I got to the scene of the crime there was a 8" brown bullhead with fresh battle scars on its back. I tossed it back into the river wondering if the violence I had heard was from the Musky's attack or the Musky's attempt to dislodge the stinging spines of the bullhead from its throat.
Life is Good on the Susky!
Date Registered:   Mar 04, 2004

BuckShotJon

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #7 on: Mar 23, 2004, 08:10 AM »
I was Bass fishing my local pond and had a hit on a split rapala. Was bringing the bass in and it started to fight alot harder. When I got it in there was a Bass 12-13 inches on the front set of hooks and a bullhead on the back set of hooks.

Jon
"When the people fear the ‘government,’ that is tyranny. When the government’ fears the people, that is liberty. - Thomas Jefferson

firstice_rules

• got to get them fishies
« Reply #8 on: Mar 23, 2004, 07:50 PM »
using a bettle spin for bluegills and crappie
notin better than a perch on the end of my line!

Sandman

• Loud pipes save lives
« Reply #9 on: Mar 26, 2004, 07:06 PM »
The oddest had to be the one my son caught ice fishing. He was in the shanty and a group of us where fishing at Irondequoit Bay. He told us he saw a big bullhead or small catfish swimming around. I've caught bullhead through the ice before, including one a week ago, but this one hit none of the bait. My son improvised and put a piece of Egg McMuffin on the hook, lowered it and the bullhead inhaled it. We all got a good laugh out of it.
For me, I caught several one day casting a tiny orange Abu spinner in a cove for gills.
Mobil Launch Team - 2 , 5th MAC SOG
de Opresso liber

Polar

« Reply #10 on: Apr 12, 2004, 09:46 PM »
 on a sluggo fishing for bass.

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #11 on: Apr 13, 2004, 05:51 PM »
I could have caught a nice sized Bo'Head by hand once. All I had to do was reach down and grab the 30" or better Watersnake that was coiled around him and was starting to stretch his jaws over it's head........I decided to pass....WK  8)
Just one more cast!!! Just one more cast!!!

peple of the perch

« Reply #12 on: Apr 13, 2004, 09:31 PM »
on tv these guys would go in to the water and reach down hollow logs and pull them out with their hands

chrisfrank

« Reply #13 on: Apr 16, 2004, 09:03 PM »
POTP. thats called 'noolding'.   apparently it's popular out in the sticks.   Theres lots of stuff on that on the web and you can order a video called 'Okie noodling'.   they actually saw it for sale at BestBuy this week in the new release section.   scary stuff.  couldnt imagine wrestiling a 20lb cat in water up to my chest....

hosscletuslulu

• PERCHPULLER
« Reply #14 on: Apr 18, 2004, 09:40 AM »
I caught one jiggin for perch at Sodus last year and last night while fishing for bullhead i brought one in that the hook wasnt in his mouth he was latched on to the snell knot and didnt want to let go even after he was out of the water.PERCHPULLER

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.