FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: And another Rangely Weekend  (Read 2901 times)

Mr.Harry

And another Rangely Weekend
« on: May 22, 2018, 09:06 PM »
Been doing this one for a number of years now, this year was best ever. Didn’t hurt that we got bumped out of our normal rental cabin at last minute due to serious structural problems and upgraded into a PALACE for the same money we would never have rented if not. But it didn’t end there....

The fishing was en fuego! At least for Friday dusk, Saturday dawn, and basically all of Saturday. Sunday AM great too, but then it kind of went south with fewer numbers and Monday was a lost cause. Still, with the crashing barometer in the early part of the weekend we put up #’s and size better than we have for at least 3 years.

Everything for us was coming from roughly 20 feet or more. 6 colors was the magic number for me. Brookies were all over a Sutton 71 hammered, flutter, Silver/brass. So much so that I just stopped experimenting with colors for the rest of the trip. Lighting didn’t seem to matter. Another guy had luck with Pink (Rangely Soecial) but we frequently do. Sewn smelt of course kicked out well and some of the best fish. Biggest fish of the trip was a LL that snapped an 8lb leader boat-side in a major netting fail. :(. No pics so it didn’t happen, but for us, it was at least ‘nice’ to actually have been able to see and gasp at the size of a LL that size instead of speculating how big it “might” have been - almost definitely at or over the soecial Lakes reg slot of 25”. Biggest LL I or any of us have ever seen or had on a line. SICK. Biggest Brook was 2.5 lbs and going 18 inches. Pic. Hit the Sutton along with countless 12 to 14”. Pal has a 20” LL that was best landed in that category. Sewn bait. Super healthy fish. Real football. No weight taken but it was extremely round. The fish across the board looked super healthy and fed.
Peace!

Slammin_Brookies!!

• "Speed and Accuracy" Airborne All The Way 82nd
Re: And another Rangely Weekend
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 11:04 PM »
We got bumped cabins also and put in a palace. Did you rent through Kelly? Anyway great weekend....the fish sure were hungry last weekend.
If you're too busy to fish...........You're too Fa..king busy!

Mr.Harry

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 06:44 AM »
We got bumped cabins also and put in a palace. Did you rent through Kelly? Anyway great weekend....the fish sure were hungry last weekend.
No, Morton & Furbish. The location change kind of forced us off our ‘usual haunts’ in the East half of the lake and so we pounded the West much harder than we normally would. Were able to work spots at first and last light that we wouldn’t typically get to until past peak, if at all. Learned some things in the process. Best weekend ever for us. Glad it worked for you too.

Swampking89

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 05:03 PM »
Nice job guys!! Hope you didnt suffer in the palace!!

franklin fisher

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 06:36 PM »
  Great post.  Glad you had a great time.  Nice fish.

MG39

• No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 06:39 PM »
Nice fish, neither one has missed many meals. :)
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today, And I Will Trust Tomorrow.
Maybe!
               "Semper Fi"

Slammin_Brookies!!

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 06:48 PM »
So was that your guys Palace over by hunter cove that had the balcony. I saw a boat like urs out there

Mr.Harry

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2018, 08:04 AM »
So was that your guys Palace over by hunter cove that had the balcony. I saw a boat like urs out there
Yes, 16 ft drab colored Lund with a camo engine. A duck boat, basically. Recommissioned for fishing primarily. The place was stupid. Sauna, jet tub, 3 baths, WiFi, direct TV, sick kitchen, 5 bedroom, for 3 of us. Over-the-top. Our ‘normal’ rental is a true cabin - no central heat, one head, no TV, etc. Slightly better location (we thought). We’re there to fish, not play house, so who cares, right? Ohhh mannn, I gotta tell you i’d Be lying like a rug if I said we arent thinking about locking up this joint NOW for next year. The $ isn’t even all that significant a difference. Given the off-season rate. We got spoiled. And also, the best fishing we’ve had in at least the last 5 years if not ever on this annual. The West end provided.!

taxid

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2018, 08:07 AM »
I notice the fish are on the dark side. Is Rangely tannin stained or clear?

Sorry never been there.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Mr.Harry

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2018, 08:14 AM »
Pretty much gin-clear. It’s just the lighting.

taxid

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2018, 10:04 AM »
Thanks. Yeah it is the North Pole up there so may not as much sunlight.  :rotflol:
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

shrinkage

• I Fish Therefore I Am
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2018, 06:30 PM »
Great report and pics. Whats the week rate for the palace off season?

Mr.Harry

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2018, 06:50 PM »
Great report and pics. Whats the week rate for the palace off season?
250. A night, 3 night min, or 1500 for a week. We do a four night thing. Wish we had friends with a second boat and into the cold troll. Then it would be dirt cheap per angler. But still, worth every d**n penny to be ‘supersized’. 3 heads, - priceless. I love my pals, but not that much.

Slammin_Brookies!!

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2018, 09:06 PM »
Luxury is nice. The cabin got moved to was $250 a night. Compared to the one I originally reserved was $110 a night.  I have it reserved September 20th - 23rd for a fall trip....and for May of 2019 from May 15th-19th if that lets u know how nice it was. 4 guys thats only $62 a night. Which isnt to bad at all.

Mr.Harry

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2018, 08:22 AM »
Luxury is nice. The cabin got moved to was $250 a night. Compared to the one I originally reserved was $110 a night.  I have it reserved September 20th - 23rd for a fall trip....and for May of 2019 from May 15th-19th if that lets u know how nice it was. 4 guys thats only $62 a night. Which isnt to bad at all.
No it isn’t. It’s worth every dime and more. Don’t get me wrong - I love camping. I love a basic cabin even more. (Running, heated water is huge). Don’t need a TV, or a washer dryer, or any of the other perks, but man, it definitely changes the experience a bit, in a good way. We’ll see you there next spring. Dates will be samish. Should set up a little informal ‘derby’ or something. At least chat dockside over some cocktails. Where exactly was your place at?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.