FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Spring Break up NSR?  (Read 6236 times)

shepike

• I didnt like barb anyway.
Spring Break up NSR?
« on: Mar 01, 2010, 08:05 PM »
what fish are running in the North Saskatchewan River ( near Edmonton/Devon) around Spring Break up?

I was going to try my ice line in the river ( ok I am a fishing addict) and wondering what species to try for

thanks!
J
give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and it's TOTAL NUCLEAR WAR.- Monty Python.

swampy45

• country boy
Re: Spring Break up NSR?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2010, 08:15 PM »
im not sure what species are running through the river right now, but imagine fish would be pooled up in the deeper holes. expect lots of small walleye.
bike, fish, bike, fish...

shepike

« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2010, 12:23 AM »
I meant ice break up. maybe in 3-4 weeks? the water starts flowing...etc. I tried  once but the ice chunks destroyed my line. the new ice line I have resists that. just a thought......
give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and it's TOTAL NUCLEAR WAR.- Monty Python.

shepike

« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2010, 08:24 PM »
Check regs for closed dates of river. North sask river and tributaries.

OPen year round near Edmonton. the upper reaches past drayton valley have closures.

wasnt going to go much past Devon....I've got a few days in April, trying to find a place to fish of course
:)

The Anvil

• MFF Mod Team
  • "Gone Fishing"
« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 2010, 03:15 PM »
Hey Shepike,

I would be more than happy to meet up with you and head down to do some early season fishing on the river.
I have a few places I like to go to.

Cheers!

~Gone Fishing~

bushnell

« Reply #5 on: Mar 19, 2010, 03:28 PM »
Early in the season you can expect to find more suckers and burbot. As the ice starts to leave you should have more luck with walleyes and goldeyes.  Personally hope to catch and tag more Sturgeon thi coming season than last year.Good luck and enjoy the river.

bushnell

« Reply #6 on: Mar 22, 2010, 04:24 PM »
Your quote is correct,that no licences will be issued. There are a limited number of volunteers that help to "Tag" sturgeons on the NSR throughout the season,many of whom have been doing this for a number of years. This is all done under the control of SRD.

BIGBADJOHN

« Reply #7 on: Mar 31, 2010, 04:39 PM »
Jen not sure whats going on that side of the city but down here the Walleye have put on the feed bag , and the suckers as always , Could of sworn I hooked into a sturgeon this moring , but didnt get it to shore before falling on my arse .
I dont fish for a living I live to fish.
http://bbjtackleandfishingadventures.webs.com/

shepike

« Reply #8 on: Mar 31, 2010, 08:14 PM »
I dont know if Devon area is opened up yet.....maybe I'll give the river a try soon. I've wanted to try to catch a sauger, that would be neat. even a sucker, I'll catch anything fishy ::).

someone mentioned Burbot? do they bite during the day in the river?

I've tried legends gulf course area, but it is very shallow there...some goldeyes later in the season I think.

Jen

BIGBADJOHN

« Reply #9 on: Apr 01, 2010, 05:23 PM »
I dont know if Devon area is opened up yet.....maybe I'll give the river a try soon. I've wanted to try to catch a sauger, that would be neat. even a sucker, I'll catch anything fishy ::).

someone mentioned Burbot? do they bite during the day in the river?

I've tried legends gulf course area, but it is very shallow there...some goldeyes later in the season I think.

Jen
Hummm where I fish just south of town , water gets shallow in the fall , but holds walleye and sturgeon , Ive also been guiding for Sturgeon , at this very same spot .  caught a few Sauger last fall , when we were fishing for walleye , as there they are in there pretty thick . Also fish for Goldeye , on the fly rod , makes an evening really fun with them , they are so acrobatic .

perchfinder

« Reply #10 on: Apr 01, 2010, 09:08 PM »
yes the goldeye put up a nice fight but have you ever seen a sturgeon come out of the water and 'slap' the water like a beaver? thats way before they find your hook in the middle of the river; pretty interesting to see!

BIGBADJOHN

« Reply #11 on: Apr 02, 2010, 12:49 AM »
yes the goldeye put up a nice fight but have you ever seen a sturgeon come out of the water and 'slap' the water like a beaver? thats way before they find your hook in the middle of the river; pretty interesting to see!
Yep if you catch a fairly young one they like to jump and splash to . lots of guys just use light line but im running 90 lb braided line with 60 lb fluorocarbon leader , and lots of back bone to prevent the fish from putting to much stress on them  , after all those Sturgeon are very old .

shepike

« Reply #12 on: Apr 02, 2010, 06:33 PM »
I have GOT to fish the river more ...but I wont target sturgeon, if I catch one by accident it would likely win!

love to see one though. Devon is opening up, I drove past today just to see. I'll be shopping for a new spin reel this weekend. With the weather so great, the gap should be big enough to fish by Monday.

I havent caught goldeye since I was a kid, they are loads of fun from what I remember.

perchfinder

« Reply #13 on: Apr 03, 2010, 10:56 PM »
are you serious about brown trout? i've read that before. i fished the river very often as a kid, close by the smoky lake bridge which also i've heard there were browns there.  caught alot of brown stuff in the river but never ever a brown trout;       ??? ??? ???

bushnell

« Reply #14 on: Apr 03, 2010, 11:37 PM »
Have been lucky enough to catch a few Browns . A couple were caught at Whitemud creek and others out past Devon. Largest was just under 20 in.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.