FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Aluminum boat in saltwater??  (Read 3325 times)

USMC130FE

• Team NY will RULE!!!!
Aluminum boat in saltwater??
« on: May 07, 2006, 05:41 AM »
Hey all,
This might be a stupid question but considering who's asking its fitting??  LOL.  I have a new Lund Alaskan 18' with a 4 stroke 60hp Merc on it and was wondering if I would be stupid using it in the ocean/saltwater.  I know you have to rinse it out and all but highly doubt that all the salt would be removed, The trailer is galvanized also.  Reason I ask this is I plan on keeping this boat for many years and would hate to "ruin" it in its first year. 

Thanks in advance for any and all info on this.
Sure the Marines are a department of the Navy........... We're the MENS DEPARTMENT!!!

ifishhi

• fall togue on a 6wt.....what a fight!
Re: Aluminum boat in saltwater??
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2006, 06:14 AM »
you'll be fine. have fun

akdg

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2006, 06:15 AM »
Don't worry at all.  They are one of the most popular skiffs in Alaska.  I know some that hardly ever come out of the water and are in fine shape after many years of hard use.  That boat you have should last for the rest of your life with just normal common sense maintenance;D

USMC130FE

• Team NY will RULE!!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2006, 06:18 AM »
Thanks Guy's for the info.  Any special way to wash it down or just rinse it out and flush the motor?

T/L,
Steve
Sure the Marines are a department of the Navy........... We're the MENS DEPARTMENT!!!

billditrite

• Retired MFF Mod
  • R.I.P. brother Micheal Danis 10/10/54 - 4/3/09
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2006, 08:02 AM »
hose her down and use a pair of muffs to rinse your motors innards and you should be just fine steve.
Scotty 

Bailbuster

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2006, 06:12 PM »
I have a 10 year old PrineCraft ,It is in the salt all the time ,looks good and runs good .Just take the time to clean it up.BB

boatnik13

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2006, 08:50 PM »
well you did ask about the boat in salt water  so I'll answer that part. We had a boat( Aluminum) at the bay  from 1958 till 1970. Then I put it in a diffrent state with fresh water. Its a ole riveted alunimum boat  and never had a problem. Yes I use it today at 48 years of service and it does not shine. If you try to remove the scale look (dull) it smells like the bay! but being dull I think makes it more stelth for sneaking up on fish. As they say " They made them good back then". Thoes were the days.

Grimace

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2006, 05:57 PM »
just like the green on copper. :D

boatnik13

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2006, 09:51 PM »
GREAT! I got a ceramic boat,.

FishDaddy09

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2006, 10:45 AM »
I have friend who let his father take his alum boat to florida every winter. After 5-6 years he was trailering boat to lake and the trailer broke in half. His Dad had always rinsed it off but the salt water had done a number from the inside of the tube.  He had it welded but broke again he had to get a new trailer. The salt water did not seem to hurt the boat.

billditrite

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2006, 01:53 PM »
Stevie...Does this mean your coming fishing with me buddy?? stripers are here...but dont tell anyone
Scotty 

USMC130FE

• Team NY will RULE!!!!
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2006, 07:14 AM »
Thanks for the info guys.  I was under the understanding that a galvanized trailer was ok for saltwater??  I'll have to look further into this.  Again thanks to all.

Scott, Looking forward to getting up there and fishing with you.

T/L,
Steve

billditrite

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2006, 07:25 AM »
as mac pointed out...aluminum is the cats meow but a galvanized trailer will still give you plenty of yrs with a little routine maintanence . i see hundreds of trailers at the launch but only a very few are aluminum.
Scotty 

beaverfsu

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2006, 12:17 AM »
As stated above, aluminum trailers are sweet.  My galv. trailer, 10 yo, has held up nicely, the frame that is, the rest of the parts-rollers, fastners and leaf springs have been recently replaced.

Enjoy.

chowdah

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2006, 10:38 AM »
I have an 18 ft aluminum boat w/ galv. trailer used mostly for saltwater striper fishing. 5 years old, the paint job is dull (colored portiononly, the white looks like new after cleaning)  The trailer shows no signs of rust or deterioation. The only parts that will probably need replacing shortly are the hand winch and the jack as these parts are corrode and working hard now but they were not galvanized. I recently had the water pump serviced as a maintenance thing only and mechanic reccomends that every 2 yrs. Other than that he said it all looks like new!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.