FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: PERCH  (Read 24938 times)

abishop

Re: PERCH
« Reply #120 on: Apr 21, 2019, 09:11 PM »
Got 13 this morn,went at sunup before church. Took about 90 minutes. In the river east of the euwing bridge. All between 10 and 11. Talked to a guy who said they are there in the river all year around. So far hes right.
Good 2 know. It has been my experiences that they are either in heavy or not at all. Did you see anyone fishing from shore by the old scrap iron yard? I have fished from shore around that spot and others but whenever I am in my boat I stay by the canal, pig pen, slot or somewhere between the helicopter pad and the break wall. Never have ventured up stream with my boat. ty 4 the info.

abishop

« Reply #121 on: Apr 23, 2019, 08:16 AM »
They decimate the perch. Think it was last year they cut the belly of a cormorant's belly open to find 50 perch. I know that by the hole in the wall they seem to congrate. I have seen over three hundred sitting there. Just think the amount of perch that many eats in 1 day. Devastating.

taxid

« Reply #122 on: Apr 23, 2019, 10:01 AM »
They decimate the perch. Think it was last year they cut the belly of a cormorant's belly open to find 50 perch. I know that by the hole in the wall they seem to congrate. I have seen over three hundred sitting there. Just think the amount of perch that many eats in 1 day. Devastating.

All I know is if I ever see one near my ponds they will get 12 gauge #4 shot fired with a 3 1/2 inch shell. Knock on wood but I haven't see one yet. I've had everything here except cormorants and otters. Both will not be met with a welcome.

Illinois planted otters in a reservoir near a fish farm friend's. He's lost $30,000 in large bass so far. The state says it's not their problem and don't you dare harm them. Refuse to issue a permit to take them out. No one is interested in live trapping them.

Even here in Indiana I've heard lots of reports for otters decimating ponds near rivers.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

bigr

« Reply #123 on: Apr 23, 2019, 11:32 AM »
If otter move in they will stay til they have eating everything. Fish frogs turtle. You have to make them go away. Trapping is now permitted but there are too few trappers and no value for the fur. Our state is good about giving permits to get rid of them from what I hear. Just don't wait to report infestation or take care of them. The Sally ,Missy, Roush all had some very good small ponds on their properties but Shortly after the Otters got established they wiped them out one by one.

taxid

« Reply #124 on: Apr 23, 2019, 11:40 AM »
If otter move in they will stay til they have eating everything. Fish frogs turtle. You have to make them go away. Trapping is now permitted but there are too few trappers and no value for the fur. Our state is good about giving permits to get rid of them from what I hear. Just don't wait to report infestation or take care of them. The Sally ,Missy, Roush all had some very good small ponds on their properties but Shortly after the Otters got established they wiped them out one by one.

Yes I'm blessed to live in Indiana as they do understand property rights and will work with fish farmers and landowners. OTOH in the time it would take to get a permit to take out an Otter, the pond would be wiped out. The fish farmer in Illinois says the otters come in at night and are unpredictable. Will raise hell and then not show up for a couple of weeks.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Spooled85

« Reply #125 on: Apr 23, 2019, 12:18 PM »
There was a picture in cheifs bait in Michigan city of a comarant that don't cut open and it was stuffed plum full of perch !!

abishop

« Reply #126 on: Apr 23, 2019, 02:03 PM »
There was a picture in cheifs bait in Michigan city of a comarant that don't cut open and it was stuffed plum full of perch !!
MAYBE THAT IS WHERE I SAW IT.

taxid

« Reply #127 on: Apr 23, 2019, 04:40 PM »
Was it this one?

And look at the size of this walleye one ate!

Spooled85

« Reply #128 on: Apr 23, 2019, 04:46 PM »
Ain't that just crazy ! I was on lake Erie this weekend and those things are everywhere out there

taxid

« Reply #129 on: Apr 23, 2019, 05:01 PM »
Was told by a biologist in Alpena Michigan that when they planted brown trout into Lake Huron they would be on them like stink on you know what. Actually corral and decimate them. I think they've since used a different stocking strategy.

Spooled85

« Reply #130 on: Apr 23, 2019, 05:50 PM »
Ya that sucks , I know where they put the finger link steelhead in Michigan City trail Creek the seagulls have a heyday on that deal too

MC_angler

« Reply #131 on: Apr 24, 2019, 08:32 AM »
Was it this one?

And look at the size of this walleye one ate!

Yep, that's the picture - I've seen it attributed to about 15 different states since it popped up on the internet in 2011. Supposedly from Lake Oneida, but the source on that is some random guy's blog

It's not seagulls eating steelhead fingerlings in Michigan City...it's terns. Caspian Terns to be exact. They do catch some smolts, but there's typically less than a couple dozen terns working the harbor, so the amount of damage they can do during a relatively brief period of outmigration is pretty minimal given the total number of salmonids stocked. Thankfully, we do not have the bird predation problems that some other places have, with hundreds and hundreds of piscivorous birds stacked in harbors at outmigration/planting time.

FWIW, there was a graduate student that studied the East Chicago cormorant population over 2 years and they didn't find a single trout or salmon in the stomachs, nor any of the coded wire tags used to mark chinooks or lake trout.

Alewife, gobies (80% or more combined), and perch are the main diet in Indiana waters of Lake Michigan

abishop

« Reply #132 on: Apr 24, 2019, 10:51 AM »
Anyone been out to the clay flats?

taxid

« Reply #133 on: Apr 24, 2019, 01:07 PM »
Thanks MC_Angler. Always good information!

Spooled85

« Reply #134 on: Apr 24, 2019, 03:14 PM »
Well I have personally watched seagulls taking advantage of it also

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.