FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: vexilar flashers  (Read 7042 times)

adkbrookie

vexilar flashers
« on: Aug 29, 2006, 10:39 PM »
just was wondering what all of your opinions are on the best model and any accessories to buy. i know that i want the bottom lock and dual beam transducer but don't know if all the other stuff that comes with the ultra pack is worth it. how does the light work? is it bright enough to see your rod too at night? is the face shield/magnifier a good idea. does the softpack make the unit more cumbersome and get in the way or not? any help or suggestions would be great. i will be buying it from fish307 probably this weekend and cannot wait to start using it. thanks.

spoonfed

Re: vexilar flashers
« Reply #1 on: Aug 30, 2006, 05:07 AM »
i have the fl-8se ultra pak. i also bought the light and all i can say is i won't leave home without it.  i like the soft pak. i didn't buy the magnifier and i don't believe it is necessary either. imo.  what ever one you get it will help you catch more fish and save time.  good luck and enjoy it.  check out thornebros.com.  they have free shipping on all electronics and no taxes if you don't live in Minnesota.  i just bought a aqua vu from there and all of those were on sale.  saved me 30.00 bucks.

definition of a great morning-  screaming drags ; fish on ; double header   TEAM MICH

Bean

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Aug 30, 2006, 06:51 AM »
I have the magnifier, but I use it mostly to keep the snow out of it. If I had the softpack, I wouldn't worry about snow then.  If you buy your unit from fish307, tell them thanks for sponsoring IceShanty.   
Ken A.

Fishingking

« Reply #3 on: Aug 30, 2006, 07:23 AM »
What are you mainly fishing??  for I have a fl-18 and am looking at getting a Marcum lx-5 with the adjustable zoom IMO vexilar is behind the times. Also if you get a Vex check if the bottom zoom is 6 feet or the new 10 feet (i think thats the new one) dont want you getting last years model when the new ones have a bigger zoom :)

Team NY 
Was that nice enough for you?

adkbrookie

« Reply #4 on: Aug 30, 2006, 09:57 AM »
fishingking thank you for reminding meto ask;is there going to be a newer, better modle coming out? i am going to be fishing a wide viriaty of fish and places, from shallow 6-10 fow small spots for perch and panfish to lakers and other trout on lake george and other ponds both hard and softwater. i need the most versitile thing available. what do you think is the best unit out there? thanks again.

bobberstop

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #5 on: Aug 30, 2006, 10:03 AM »
Marcum LX5 hands down.                                 Ron
Bobberstop

Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com [url=http://www.myhuntingforum.com

spoonfed

« Reply #6 on: Aug 30, 2006, 11:50 AM »
  if you do go with a vex and are gonna fish shallow waters less than 10ft i reccomend getting the freq. reducer cable.  takes out all the interference.  they are like 15 or so bucks if i remember right.

definition of a great morning-  screaming drags ; fish on ; double header   TEAM MICH

Bean

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #7 on: Aug 30, 2006, 12:06 PM »
  if you do go with a vex and are gonna fish shallow waters less than 10ft i reccomend getting the freq. reducer cable.  takes out all the interference.  they are like 15 or so bucks if i remember right.

That cable is only needed with the FL-8. It's not needed with the FL-18 or newer models coming out in October. Also, only the FL-20 will have the zoom for bottom 6 or 12', the FL-18 will stay at zoom for bottom 6 feet only.

The Marcum LX-5 has dual beam transducer and also zooms throughout the whole water column, not just bottom 6 or 12'. It also comes standard with the soft pack and a digital charging unit for the battery.
Ken A.

fishincrazy

« Reply #8 on: Aug 30, 2006, 01:14 PM »
I'll stick with my vex it has never let me down.  People are always going to go with the new item out on the market and say that it is better because they have it.  i say get what ever you like or can afford and once you learn how to use it, that unit will be the best fit for you.  No matter what flasher you get it is going to put more fish on the ice for you hands down. 

aquaman

• I,ll be home before dark. ( yeah right)
« Reply #9 on: Aug 30, 2006, 01:56 PM »
Here we go again,and its still august.        Marcum,       E-bay.    ,nuf said !
I remember EVERY TIME I fished or hunted. The REST of the time I...uh...um..... musta been doing something else that didnt matter.

JerryofWNY

• Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #10 on: Aug 30, 2006, 05:26 PM »
I just received an email from Fish307 advertising 25% off everything in stock in the store this weekend. If I read it correctly it is for walkins only - no internet orders. Might be worth a visit if you are anywhere nearby.
"Most folks are just about as happy as they make up their minds to be."....Abe Lincoln

Fishingking

« Reply #11 on: Aug 30, 2006, 05:59 PM »
Like I stated before I have a Fl-18 have had it for 3 seasons now. I am ready for the real deal a Marcum LX-5 :)
Team NY 

Bean

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #12 on: Aug 30, 2006, 07:47 PM »
Did anyone notice the price of the new Vexilar FL-20 ultra pack with dual beam transducer?     $570   :o :o
 All the ultra pack models(various transducer configurations) are priced at $500 and up.

The FL-12 ultra pack with dual beam transducer is $440 and it doesn't even have any zoom.   :o :o :o 

These prices were from Vex's website.
Ken A.

adkbrookie

« Reply #13 on: Aug 30, 2006, 10:09 PM »
so just about everyone thinks that the marcum is a better flasher and it costs less? sounds like the right one to me.

i got the e-mail today about the sale at 307. it's only a 30 minute drive for me so i will probably end up stopping by at some point.

Fishingking

« Reply #14 on: Aug 30, 2006, 10:48 PM »
Marcum lx-5 is $480 through Cabela's
Team NY 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.