FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Brookies!  (Read 11438 times)

Cider

Brookies!
« on: Mar 04, 2004, 09:03 PM »
Here are some pictures of brookies that my wife and I caught during our annual fishing trip last summer in northern NH.

Let's see your trout pics...

Cider

Re: Brookies!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 05, 2004, 01:44 PM »
More trout pics from other trips in recent years.  All fish were caught either on the flyrod or by spinning rod using bluefox vibrax spinners...

The largest is a 2 1/2 - 3 lb brookie, there are a few bows mixed in...

Couple of browns...

More brookies...

Bows caught on smelt pattern streamer and 4 wt rod with sinking line...

stream walker

« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2004, 12:38 PM »
 nice ;D those are some big brookies the brook trout rarely reach 12" here in western end of newyork state.

kingfshr16

« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2004, 01:20 PM »
Way to go Cider, those are some great brookies.

Barleydog

• Wishin' I was a fishin'
« Reply #4 on: Mar 09, 2004, 03:19 PM »
Very nice fish!  great color Cider

troutinator

« Reply #5 on: Mar 09, 2004, 08:25 PM »
Very impressive brookies,great job!!!

fastribs85

« Reply #6 on: Mar 09, 2004, 10:23 PM »
nice any tips never caught any but my grand father said they were fun when he used to catch them but that was years ago in pa
naked women and beer we got it all in here

Cider

« Reply #7 on: Mar 10, 2004, 08:30 AM »
Thanks guys!  Most of those brookies were on average 15-17" (a few bigger and a few smaller).  The coloration is always amazing and the flesh is very pink/orange and extremely tasty.  I catch a couple of hundred like them every season (no exaggeration).  My wife and I keep our legal possession limit for the season ( 2 x daily limit x 2 = 20 fish total) so that we can have meals of them in the winter and reminisce about good times catching them.

Fastribs - depends on where you are fishing for them...  ponds, lakes, streams & rivers??

In ponds/lakes I get them by flyfishing surface flies in morning and evening.  I also use nymphs and streamers.  Trolling and/or spincasting hardware such as bluefox vibrax and mepps bucktail spinners works anytime of day but really well midday when the sun is on the water.  I like gold and silver colors the best without bucktails.  However, I use a lot of different colors and types of spinners.  Weight is important to get to the layer the fish are holding in.

For streams/rivers I strictly flyfish.  The most important thing to remember is don't spook them.  They are very wary and you need to think about things that would spook them.  Such as, don't cast a shadow on the water you think fish are holding in.  Approach the stream with a low profile and make as little movement as possible.  If you can, fish against the current so that you are approaching them from behind.

Choice of fly???  That is a LONG discussion.  Best bet: get yourself a copy of Art Flick's Streamside Guide to Naturals and Their Imitations.  Great book that introduces you to entomology and regional hatch times throughout the year.

fastribs85

« Reply #8 on: Mar 15, 2004, 05:32 AM »
thanks sounds good but dont know where to find them in pa

Thor

« Reply #9 on: Mar 15, 2004, 10:36 AM »
Fastribs85,

The PA Fish & Boat Commission website is a good starting point to help you locate brook trout in PA.  The Pre-Season stocking info available there indicates that 508,500 brookies will be stocked in the Commonwealth for opening day.

There are also other links on the site that will direct you to streams that hold wild brook trout, if that's what you're looking for.  Don't expect the wild brookies in PA streams to get very big, though.

Cider

« Reply #10 on: Mar 15, 2004, 12:25 PM »
Don't expect the wild brookies in PA streams to get very big, though.

True, but those make the best table fare and are boatloads of fun for C&R with a light flyrod when the bite is hot!

fastribs85

« Reply #11 on: Mar 15, 2004, 08:02 PM »
im not looking for table food or for huge fish just heard they were a blast to catch and thanks for the information

icefishnh

« Reply #12 on: Mar 16, 2004, 08:20 PM »
cider, if you dont mind me asking, how do you get your limit? 2 times limit times 2...???  im confused 
I like big fish and I cannot lie!

Cider

« Reply #13 on: Mar 16, 2004, 10:36 PM »
cider, if you dont mind me asking, how do you get your limit? 2 times limit times 2...???  im confused 

Let me explain...  I am talking about a possession limit, not a daily limit.  Don't confuse the two.  When you are off on a camping/fishing trip and will be fishing for several days at a time, you are allowed to have a possession limit.  So, the possession limit is twice your daily limit.  This also goes for the number of fish you have in your freezer at any given time during the year.

In NH the daily limit is 5 trout or 5 pounds whichever comes first.  So, your possession limit would be 10 trout or 10 pounds whichever comes first!  This allows you to take extended fishing trips and be able to keep more than just a daily limit but still protect the fisheries by limiting total possession.

I also need to tell you that in some of the photos I have posted here, you see a lot of trout.  My wife goes with me for this particular trip each summer and she likes to trout fish nearly as much as I do.  Half of the fish in some of the photos are her's.  Of course, I always tell her that her half is the group of small ones!  ;D  These photos were taken over the last three or four trips North.  We go once every summer for a week.

I don't keep many fish throughout the season except for when we take this trip each summer.  Then we both get our possession limit so we have trout to eat in the winter months!

icefishnh

« Reply #14 on: Mar 17, 2004, 02:46 PM »
ahhhh, i getcha now.  knew the daily limit was 5 fish or 5lbs but didnt know about a possesion limit.   cant wait for opening day of trout season here in NH!!!!  last saturday in april cant come quick enough!!!
I like big fish and I cannot lie!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.