FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: *NEW GAMESHOW* WHICH CERVID IS IT?  (Read 12939 times)

Pikeguy

Re: *NEW GAMESHOW* WHICH CERVID IS IT?
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2006, 11:05 AM »
Well, you live in MI so I'm guessing moose then. Unless you have Elk...which could be I guess. I disagree about seeing the dewclaws however. On a large whitetail buck the dewclaws usually leave a prominent mark whether walking or running.

killitandgrillit

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2006, 11:10 AM »
Ok, maybe never was the wrong word. Never around here maybe. The UP does not grow many big bucks, due in part to poor deer management, and part because we have such hard winters. Deer in the UP migrate to "yard" up in deep cedar swaps to survive our winters. A lack of nutritious browsing also plays a part.
"I fish because I love to; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience; because maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but suspect so many other concerns of men equally unimportant- and not nearly so much fun."

Deposit

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2006, 11:33 AM »
Almost looks like it could be a boar print? (wild pig maybe)

killitandgrillit

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2006, 11:51 AM »
Deposit....good guess. The tracks are pretty close..except the dew claws on a pig point directly to the left and right, and are much larger for the size of the track and are sharp tipped, so usually leave a very clean impression. The stride length (which I know, I didnt have pics of) was pretty long as well.

Other than that, there were no signs of rubbing or rooting anywhere in the vicinity (and I covered it well looking for shrooms).
"I fish because I love to; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience; because maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but suspect so many other concerns of men equally unimportant- and not nearly so much fun."

chillywillie

• Team Maine
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2006, 11:59 AM »
There is no way it's anything but a big whitetail.  It's not even close to looking like a moose track. 

killitandgrillit

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2006, 12:37 PM »
Moose Track

Elk Track

Whitetail Track

Of course, the tracks will be splayed wider depending on the weight of the animal or if it was running or not. If they were not as large as they were, I'd agree Willy, they look like Whitetail tracks....except way too big.

I actually saw the animal, but I dont want to be laughed at....being as I've been told by the DNR that we dont have them within our region, and ya'll think it was a whitetail. You guys prolly think I'm nuts as is :P

Pikeguy

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2006, 12:40 PM »
Somebody get TrapperDirk on this one ASAP  ;D

adkRoy

• MFF Mod Team
  • I'd rather be at camp.
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2006, 12:46 PM »
Fallow or axis deer maybe? ;D

Pikeguy

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2006, 12:52 PM »
Fallow or axis deer maybe? ;D

Definitely a groundhog/turkey Hybrid  ::)

killitandgrillit

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2006, 12:53 PM »
That would actually be more believable. We do have at least one game farm in the UP that has fallow deer.

killitandgrillit

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2006, 12:54 PM »
Definitely a groundhog/turkey Hybrid  ::)

Not the vicious Gurkey! Dreaded and feared...

carpcatcher

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2006, 01:01 PM »
How about a big old mulley that got lost. I know for sure it's not a gurkey, I've seen them before.
         Jim
Love 2 fish

Robb

• Upstate NY
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2006, 01:05 PM »
Blacktail deer?

bobberstop

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2006, 01:13 PM »
Ask IceTroll,he hunts em in wyoming.                   Ron
Bobberstop

Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com [url=http://www.myhuntingforum.com

Pikeguy

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2006, 01:16 PM »
Ask IceTroll,he hunts em in wyoming.                   Ron

Gurkeys?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.