FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: "Winds from the North, best not set forth"  (Read 2198 times)

Dispy

"Winds from the North, best not set forth"
« on: Jul 01, 2013, 03:21 PM »
Is an old sailors adage meaning North winds often yield larger wave actions. However, as for lake fishing, most fish will develop lock jaw due to the barometric pressure changes that occurs with an approaching cold front. A two to four hour window exists when most fish will binge feed until the front is upon them and high pressure takes over. The bite will increase typically in 2-3 days. So if we look at the generalized adage, we can see that south winds are associated with warmer winds and periods of stable weather=more fish activity. North and East are associated with cold fronts followed by high pressure system(blue bird skies)= heavy binge feeding prior to the onset of the front, and a slower bite requiring downsizing of bait and more methodical approach to be successful.  West winds are the predominate direction to which fish are normally feeding within predictable patterns.

So the angler that is astute to these signs of barometric changes, are familiar with Major/minor feedings time (solunar charts) and out on the water, will catch more fish :)

Here's one for you...."rains by seven, gone by 11"     ;)
"Meet the new with your ears, eyes and mind wide open, and your mouth tightly shut."

outdoorsman

Re: "Winds from the North, best not set forth"
« Reply #1 on: Jul 01, 2013, 05:02 PM »
So the angler that is astute to these signs of barometric changes, are familiar with Major/minor feedings time (solunar charts) and out on the water, will catch more fish :)

No doubt!  I've found walleye and lake trout to be particularly fussy when it comes to post-cold front pressures...and that pre-front binge can be awesome!
"I just want to get the work over as soon as possible so I can do some fishing. Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except that I still get to kill something."

AquaAssassin

« Reply #2 on: Jul 01, 2013, 08:55 PM »
I agree with the fast action pre front but have caught all my biggest fish just after when its slow especially on the hardwater. Lot of 1 bite days but always phenomenal in the quality dept.
It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

When you’re good at something, you’ll tell everyone. When you’re great at something, they’ll tell you.

NHAngler

« Reply #3 on: Jul 01, 2013, 09:10 PM »
My boy and I were out in that water ride today. Was in the little boat and had to keep the bail bucket active. Fishing was good though with rainbows and white perch from trolling spoons and crawlers. We stopped to then target some bass with our tubes and jigs but noticed our hands were pruning up and headed in. Any riddle for that Tom?   :laugh:

I believe this is the full version based on your title:

When the wind is blowing in the North
No fisherman should set forth,
When the wind is blowing in the East,
'Tis not fit for man nor beast,
When the wind is blowing in the South
It brings the food over the fish's mouth,
When the wind is blowing in the West,
That is when the fishing's best!
Confidence catches fish! The rest of it is just there to keep us busy.

Dispy

« Reply #4 on: Jul 02, 2013, 03:21 AM »
Many variations of the saying :laugh: :laugh: That's a good one. Funny this got moved while not trying to highjack someone's thread. Liking the sense of humor ::)
"Meet the new with your ears, eyes and mind wide open, and your mouth tightly shut."

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
« Reply #5 on: Jul 02, 2013, 04:20 AM »
Wind from the north, leave the gear on the porch,
Wind from the south, the hooks land in their mouth,
Wind from the east, fish bite least,
Wind from the west, fish bite best..

As said lots of variations to the saying... They all are generally the same in meaning...
Having said that I have experienced contradictions numerous times, but for the most part it somewhat holds true..
We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.