FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Best Lakes in Maine for holdover brown trout?  (Read 4456 times)

taxid

Best Lakes in Maine for holdover brown trout?
« on: May 17, 2019, 01:10 PM »
Just curious what your opinions are on the best lakes in Maine for holdover browns -- specifically in our near Kennebec County? Many of your lakes have smelt populations so it stands to reason if browns are planted it should allow holdover of larger fish. I can access stocking reports and surveys but as we all know that doesn't always mean anything.

If I get no responses or few I won't hold it against ya! ;)  I promise I'm not interested in the salmon!  ;D
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

seamonkey84

Re: Best Lakes in Maine for holdover brown trout?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 03:10 PM »
Just curious what your opinions are on the best lakes in Maine for holdover browns -- specifically in our near Kennebec County? Many of your lakes have smelt populations so it stands to reason if browns are planted it should allow holdover of larger fish. I can access stocking reports and surveys but as we all know that doesn't always mean anything.

If I get no responses or few I won't hold it against ya! ;)  I promise I'm not interested in the salmon!  ;D
For the most part, any lake or pond that gets stocked with browns will hold them over. The minimum size to keep Browns out of still water is 14” and they usually stock them at 8-10”. But as to which ones have good sizes, no idea, sorry.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

gamefisher

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 06:38 PM »

[/quote

Great pond,  Long pond, chance for 15-18 pound brown,  I caught 5 pound brown out of minnihonk 30 years, Torsey has browns also.

woodchip1

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 07:39 PM »
I think we have a lot of sea run Browns  more than most people realize ,I have seen some around 10lbs caught in the spring,  the last 2 weeks are when they are after herring and smelts. Hope the elva netting does not get any more aggressive  .

seamonkey84

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 10:59 PM »
I think we have a lot of sea run Browns  more than most people realize ,I have seen some around 10lbs caught in the spring,  the last 2 weeks are when they are after herring and smelts. Hope the elva netting does not get any more aggressive  .
According to a professor I spoke to, a particular river got ~6 returning Atlantic salmon during the spawning run, but there were over 100 sea run browns! We were talking about how the state won’t let hobbyists keep any non- approved fish, while stocking an aggressive invasive species on top of fish they are claiming to protect. 
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

taxid

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 11:00 PM »
Thank you gentlemen! I shot an email to your inland fisheries division to see what they say. I'll post it here.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2019, 10:58 AM »
According to a professor I spoke to, a particular river got ~6 returning Atlantic salmon during the spawning run, but there were over 100 sea run browns! We were talking about how the state won’t let hobbyists keep any non- approved fish, while stocking an aggressive invasive species on top of fish they are claiming to protect.

Atlantic salmon have much bigger problems than competition from sea-run browns lol.

seamonkey84

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2019, 11:14 AM »
Atlantic salmon have much bigger problems than competition from sea-run browns lol.
That’s for sure  :'(

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2019, 11:22 AM »
That’s for sure  :'(

Penobscot's runs are still somewhat encouraging at least.  everywhere else, not so much, but I still don't think they should just give up yet

NBourque

• Bruce slayer
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2019, 01:47 PM »
Cobbossee and maranacook

taxid

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2019, 02:49 PM »
Cobbossee and maranacook

Thanks!

taxid

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2019, 10:45 AM »
Got this response from Maine Inland fisheries. I'm guessing he's a biologist?

Mr. Baird,

As luck would have it, you’re near one of our best waters for large brown trout. Flying Pond supports a fishery for large brown trout, although catch rates are slow. Rainbow smelt are the primary forage in Flying Pond, and they are abundant! Additionally, we stock Flying Pond with landlocked salmon that grow to large and trophy size, and they are usually a little more willing to bite.

I wouldn’t completely rule out Minnehonk for brown trout either. Minnehonk gets occasional brown trout and landlocked salmon that drop down from Flying Pond, and they grow to very large size. Minnehonk also produces some very large bass – 5 pounds and greater.

I hope I’ve helped you out, but feel free to contact me if you’d like more information. Good luck!

Jason Seiders

NBourque

• Bruce slayer
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2019, 12:55 PM »
Got this response from Maine Inland fisheries. I'm guessing he's a biologist?

Mr. Baird,

As luck would have it, you’re near one of our best waters for large brown trout. Flying Pond supports a fishery for large brown trout, although catch rates are slow. Rainbow smelt are the primary forage in Flying Pond, and they are abundant! Additionally, we stock Flying Pond with landlocked salmon that grow to large and trophy size, and they are usually a little more willing to bite.

I wouldn’t completely rule out Minnehonk for brown trout either. Minnehonk gets occasional brown trout and landlocked salmon that drop down from Flying Pond, and they grow to very large size. Minnehonk also produces some very large bass – 5 pounds and greater.

I hope I’ve helped you out, but feel free to contact me if you’d like more information. Good luck!

Jason Seiders

Yeah let’s just say I’ve caught a few salmon outta Minnehonk lol 😆

taxid

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2019, 08:51 AM »
Yeah let’s just say I’ve caught a few salmon outta Minnehonk lol 😆

Care to elaborate? Don't buy it or you have?

NBourque

• Bruce slayer
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2019, 11:16 AM »
Care to elaborate? Don't buy it or you have?
I have caught them thru the ice

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.