FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Evening on the SSR  (Read 6008 times)

Pigshanks

• Who stopped payment on my reality check?
Evening on the SSR
« on: May 13, 2007, 05:13 PM »
Spent a hot Friday evening fishing the South Saskatchewan River in Redcliff. Temps were in the upper 20's and not a breath of wind :o Took Jr. out and met Papa on the shores.

I caught a nice little walleye, but the only pic I got was of Papa's finger so nothing to post there.

First good pic was of the son with a good old sucker. Here he is with Papa checking out the catch

Not long after this the son caught his first of the year. A nice sucker for the camera.

As the sun was setting things cooled of to a more comfortable temperature but the fish didn't want to play know more. All in all it was a great evening with a total of 4 small eyes and 2 suckers between the three of us.

ALBERTA  REPORT A POACHER  1-800-642-3800 or #3800 on the TELUS Mobility network (Courtesy of TELUS Mobility)

Pigshanks

Re: Evening on the SSR(New pics)
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 10:48 PM »
It was a cool, almost to th point of being cold, windy evening on the South Saskatchewan, but the action kept everyone warm.

Hit the fishing hole about 6pm and almost immediately oldschenk caught this little dinosaur.

A short time later he pulled in a small eye

Followed by me with my first of the night.

A short while later, Grasshopper showed up to try his luck

Here is a few scenery shots of the river valley.

We finished up with a total of 6 eyes and one sturgeon with a lot of bites and a few long distance releases. Fun was had by all.

ALBERTA  REPORT A POACHER  1-800-642-3800 or #3800 on the TELUS Mobility network (Courtesy of TELUS Mobility)

pikemaster789

• MIRC!
Re: Evening on the SSR
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 05:09 AM »
Nice job with the eyes. Is there enough current to help really add a pull to your fish? That sturgeon is neat too, ive yet to catch one :thumbup_smilie:

Fishing is life

MIRC!

Pigshanks

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 09:23 AM »
Was fishing in a nice little back eddy so the current wasn't a factor, but the bigger fish will use the current to their advantage when they can.

wadeseward

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 11:18 AM »
The water looks to be a decent level, was at the Red Deer river Near Patricia Saturday and the water was way high had to settle for Tilley B Res. maybe by late week water levels will be good.

Pigshanks

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 11:37 AM »
The water looks to be a decent level, was at the Red Deer river Near Patricia Saturday and the water was way high had to settle for Tilley B Res. maybe by late week water levels will be good.

SSr is high and muddy, though we did find some calmer waters to fish. Will be a few weeks anyway for the spring run off to work it's way down.

Skiff

• Retired MFF Mod
  • Just relaxin' on the Red
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 09:52 AM »
Nice variety of fish in the South Sask. River where you are.  Sure brings back memories of fishing the river north of Saskatoon as a kid.  All we had then was grasshoppers and little worms as bait, so I guess our catches were limited compared to today.  Glad to see you're starting your son at an early age - but give him another 10 years, and he'll probably be out-fishing the old man.  ;D

TGF

• MFF Mod Team
  • I still got my eye on you guys...
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2007, 12:17 AM »
Great pics PS. Always fun taking the young uns along. ;D

Pigshanks

Re: Evening on the SSR(New Pics)
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2007, 10:01 PM »
Headed out to the SSR yet again. The threat of thunderstorms earlier in the day were long gone. Within 15 min oldschenk pulled out this monster

I had a few bites with no luck for the next few hours but did manage one baby walleye before heading home. And by the looks of the date in the pics, I think I might be a bit ahead of myself ;D

The SSR is running high, fast and dirty so the next few weeks will be challenging.

fishin fanatic

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2007, 11:02 PM »
wow wow those sturgeon are an amazing fish make the american s jelous

ULTRAlite

• 24" Bowz or Bust...
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2007, 02:51 PM »
Incredible catch - great pics  :o

Mooter

• Tight lines and Throbbing Rods
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2007, 03:14 PM »
wow wow those sturgeon are an amazing fish make the american s jelous

We have sturgeon too buddy
 :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag:

I'm a success oriented fishermen.

fishin fanatic

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2007, 07:32 PM »
ya in our rivers that run down there and do they get to be 1000 lbs like outs...didnt think so

Pigshanks

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2007, 08:57 PM »

We have sturgeon too buddy
 :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag:

You bet! Seen a show of some guys fishin the Columbia River I believe. Pulling out some 1200#plus. They are an awesome fish to catch.

fishin fanatic

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2007, 09:45 PM »
yes and that river originates in bc and the fish go down the river, also largest are caught on canada side but lots die from polution in the souther reason start glowing or who knows...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.