FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: fishing  (Read 1163 times)

fishmonger535

fishing
« on: May 28, 2008, 09:08 PM »
went out may long to travers d**n. did alright on small pike, no walleye thoughwas very quiet for them. lots of small pike in 5-10 feet. seems like so many lakes in this province are small pike, i think with keeping the limit the way it is, is so hurting lakes for big pike. then i went to hasse last week. lots of trout. must of just been stocked, caught a lot of little ones, but three nice ones. 16, 14, and 11 inch..

Koffee Kat

Re: fishing
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 09:01 AM »
Yeah, I hear what you're saying about small pike...  Where i'm originally from (the Yukon) we only keep a big pike if we catch nothing else (which is rare cause there's always something else tastier to catch & keep out of the same fishing spot).  In Alberta the option isn't always there to keep something else - with the walleye being protected & perch highly pressured you sometimes only have the option of pike or pike to keep & eat.  I, personally, have rarley kept a pike in Alberta.  I just love to fish them for the sport of it.  They're still my favorite to fish & the bigger the better!  I suppose they are mostly being kept due to the fact fisherman are getting frustrated cause they can't hook into anything else to eat.

As for Hasse, Travis J was there a month ago when they were stocking it this year.  I'd like to see that one day!  It'll probably empty out faster than ever.  I haven't hit Hasse in a good 2 years due to the angling pressure on the dock (don't have a tube).  Maybe i'll take my canoe down one day & try to hit the other side of the island.  Anyone still catching perch out at Hasse?

I still love Wabamun for big pike, but even the pike there are shrinking (some people will eat anything!  We all know who these people are, so I won't bother posting).  I assumed that if you wanted big pike you go there cause every one gets thrown back after the catch, but that isn't even true anymore...  What's the world coming to, eh? 

travisj

Re: fishing
« Reply #2 on: Jun 06, 2008, 01:51 AM »
Hasse was stocked in early May, I don't recall exactly when. The driver said he had two loads of rainbows approx 20000-21000 each. He also commented that were 25 cm in length but I saw lots that were smaller, maybe he meant "up to". I've gone back to Hasse a couple times since and have caught a few trout but nothing worth keeping. Angling pressure is very high, if you go on the weekend you better take a number and wait in line for some of the valuable space on the docks or even the shoreline!
Saw one catching some perch there. They seemed fairly plentiful, I saw one good one come out. At a distance it looked about 12" with a bit of a belly.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.