FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: cat fishing  (Read 4939 times)

sageur

• wetter the water the better
cat fishing
« on: Apr 16, 2008, 10:34 PM »
what do you use for cat fishing bait: Me I use a simple rig witch is atexis rig red  hook loaded with fat heads with an orange float held down with a 3/4 ouncs barrel sinker. In the boat or on shore. Use the same when going for Sturgeon

jjmoser

• Stand in line for your golden salmon
Re: cat fishing
« Reply #1 on: Apr 17, 2008, 07:39 AM »
I use a drop shot almost.  I tie a hook on to a sinker with about a 2 ft or so peice of mono.  then I make a double uni knot attached to the main line on my pole.  I make the end with the hook come out about 8 inches or so when i make the final knot.  I fish off a dam usually for channel cats and this rig helps keep the bait just off the bottom.  For bait in the day I use berkly gup nightcrawler natural color near dusk I switch to cut gills. 

DR.SPECKLER

« Reply #2 on: Apr 17, 2008, 12:29 PM »
i use a slip sinker rig with a nice strong catfish hook live blugill for bait sometimes ill slash the gills for some blood flowage. for channel cats i use cutbait.

gonephishin

• I can catch fish in a mud puddle
« Reply #3 on: Apr 17, 2008, 02:38 PM »
I caught them on everything this year from hair jigs to rattletraps to a hunk of Carp.  I caught the one in my Avatar on the piece of stinky carp I found on the bank, with a size 2 hook and a small splitshot and 8 pound test line, my walleye pole.   nothing special.
Here fishy fishy fishy

jdisci

• "Like minnows in a bucket..."
« Reply #4 on: Apr 19, 2008, 10:06 AM »
Chicken livers, either drifted weightless while wading,or on a bobber or bottom from shore.
Joe.

icefisher69

« Reply #5 on: Apr 19, 2008, 10:40 AM »
the best bait i have found for the really big one's 25-40 lbs! you have to have a strong stomach,i let my chicken livers set out and rot for 4 or 5 days! they kind of firm up a little when they rot,so they stay on the hook better! give it a try!

Litchfield Fisher

• maine brookie
« Reply #6 on: Apr 19, 2008, 12:06 PM »
well generally fishing for cats all I do is bait a trap and set it up on the front lawn  ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

bearsfan

« Reply #7 on: Apr 20, 2008, 11:55 AM »
Boy, I really had great sucess with G&S Cheesebait when I was living in Illinois. If any of you come across any of that stinky stuff I highly recomend buying some.

mud_n_fun

• Take a Kid Fishing!
« Reply #8 on: Apr 20, 2008, 09:20 PM »
We caught ours on pork liver today. It's what I had in the freezer yesterday when I decided to thaw out some bait for today. It worked great.

walleye1

« Reply #9 on: Apr 21, 2008, 06:17 AM »
We caught ours on pork liver today. It's what I had in the freezer yesterday when I decided to thaw out some bait for today. It worked great.

Great pic! 8)

sperrin

« Reply #10 on: Apr 21, 2008, 11:18 AM »
plain and simple a pickeral rigs with night crawlers or leeches..... always works for me. A 6 pack of bud also helps. ;D

Stevo
A bad day fishing is still better then a good day at work!

pooley

• Never Forget!!!!
« Reply #11 on: Apr 21, 2008, 12:23 PM »
herring chunks on the hudson river! ( i was fishing for stripers )

take a kid fishing!official b-breaker of N.Y.R.C.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #12 on: Apr 21, 2008, 05:10 PM »
Pooley,
"Rolly Polly fish heads are never seen drinking cappuccino in
Italian restaurants with Oriental women.
Yeeaahh !"

Dr. Demento "When you're hot, You're hot!"

You're a sick man.....Yeaahh! ;D
RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Big Brother

« Reply #13 on: Apr 21, 2008, 05:46 PM »
Got this one using shrimp set 3' under a slipbobber drifting in the current                                                     

panfishman13

• it's what i do!
« Reply #14 on: Apr 21, 2008, 11:58 PM »
i just use the remains of the small perch we use for bait during ice season, use a head or a tail or just throw the guts on, i freeze it beforehand but dip it in some sort of scent before sending it out i prefer a drop shot rig with the sinker above the hook if from shore , below from a boat. also, if you buy a jar of preserved minnows, when you run out of them use the gunk left over for dippin' sauce on the bait, works terrific, even for 'gills

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.