FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Bunch of neat photos  (Read 1821 times)

JasonN

Bunch of neat photos
« on: Sep 05, 2004, 12:16 AM »
I've finally managed to make time to update my trout fishing site again with all the new pictures from this summer.  Probably won't be able to do a whole lot on it now until at least Christmas since classes are keeping me really busy, but I wanted to get the summer stuff up before it got too late.  Computer problems kept me from doing this for quite a while and I actually ended up losing about 6 weeks of prime hatch time critter photos--argh!  But I've finally got some good ones online from the latter half of this summer.  Here are a few of my favorites shrunk to forum size:

This is a male Hexagenia atrocaudata spinner from northwest Wisconsin.  These really big guys come out in the evening around the same time as the more prolific Ephoron hatch.  They aren't as common as their superhatch cousin, the infamous Hexagenia limbata, but they're still hard to miss when the highly animated spinner flight sends one zooming at your face.  (Full-size pictures here.)

Here are the shucks from a couple of Isonychia mayflies that emerged in early September on the Beaverkill.  Many Isonychia flies crawl out onto rocks to emerge stonefly-style rather than popping out on the surface.  The behavior is dependent on the species, and sometimes even the strain within the species.  If you check out the other pictures of Isonychia duns I've taken, you'll notice they're not purple.  That seems sort of obvious, but you wouldn't know it from the selection in some fly shops.  Some tiers seem to go more by the common name (in this case, "Mahogany Dun") than by what the critter actually looks like.  All the live Isonychia duns I've seen range from grayish brown to a deep brown with a very slight reddish tint.  Not Barney-the-dinosaur purple.  (Full-size pictures here.)

Pretttttyyyyyy!  As great as it would have taste to make this fellow into a meal, quickly I released him and made him into a desktop background instead.

I still haven't devised a good way to handle caddisflies like this yet for photography, but once in a while one of the pictures turns out alright.  These critters are much more hyper and prone to scurrying than mayflies, and they're much harder to hold to photograph in a natural fish's-eye position.  I've tried refidgeration and various other methods to get them to behave but haven't come up with anything great yet.  It's something I'll work on next summer probably.  (Full-size pictures here.)

Here's a male Epeorus dun from an early September evening hatch on the Beaverkill.  Even though these guys emerged pretty sporadically they do ride the water for quite a while so they got some trout going.  In the fly shops they seem to talk about these guys as sulphurs.  I'd call them cream cahills.  Whatever.  I like the Latin names so much better... one critter, one name.  One name, one critter.  (Full-sized pictures here.)

Here's a picture of a northwoods beast of legend, the rare and mysterious Whitetail Moose.  It's almost identical to a Whitetail Deer, except it doesn't realize that sticking your head all the way underwater to graze is something for moose (meese?  mooses?) to do, not deer.  This is one of a whole bunch of wildlife and scenery pictures I've added.  (Full-sized picture here.)

Enjoy.  :)

Webguy

• Lured into it....... get reel!
Re: Bunch of neat photos
« Reply #1 on: Sep 05, 2004, 06:39 AM »
Cool pics, nice colors on that brookie!

Bartman44

« Reply #2 on: Sep 05, 2004, 12:04 PM »
Those are great shots. Time to get my fly rod out.

seaweed01

« Reply #3 on: Sep 05, 2004, 07:30 PM »
JasonN,
Fantastic pictures! Did you ever try and sell some of them?  Believe me, you have
some great pictures of the insects.

JasonN

« Reply #4 on: Sep 06, 2004, 12:51 PM »
Thanks.  :)

I've never tried to sell any of them to magazines or anything, but I guess it's something I'd be interested in.  I haven't really thought about it much, but an extra buck or two is always handy.  I don't know much about the process of submitting photos at all... anyone know of any good books or tutorials on the subject?

devil-man

« Reply #5 on: Sep 06, 2004, 04:06 PM »
Wow, Jason, that's a very nice site. I'm impressed both with the fish and the photography. Great job, you trout nut!

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #6 on: Sep 07, 2004, 06:46 AM »
Very nice Jason, thanks for sharing!  Love that brookie!

Hookset

« Reply #7 on: Sep 07, 2004, 09:12 AM »
Great photos and great detail.  Thanks for the pics.
We don't own the Earth, the Earth owns us.
US ARMY Veteran: A Battery 6/32 FA, MLRS

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.