FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: First trout on the fly  (Read 4015 times)

fishlessman

Re: First trout on the fly
« Reply #15 on: Nov 05, 2018, 10:29 AM »
I should of said what I want to tie on. I usually fish streamers and mini buggers, just I’ve tied so many in so many sizes and colors lol. There are times that doesn’t work, and I’m stubborn and prefer not to nymph when I can avoid it.

nothing more productive than nymphing fast pocket water for trout.  i went in the other direction and only took nymphs for the whole year, i never went back

lowaccord66

« Reply #16 on: Nov 05, 2018, 06:40 PM »
nothing more productive than nymphing fast pocket water for trout.  i went in the other direction and only took nymphs for the whole year, i never went back

I was going to say it's one thing to have a preferance on fly choice and or fly fishing style but it's another thing to not fish they way that catches most of the trout. 

I used to be in the same camp though.  Didn't like nymphing at all but stuck with it.  Eventually, once I learned how to keep my nymphs near the bottom, I caught a lot more trout.  Now I'm working on learning which hatches and when.  Lots of bugs to remember.  Seamonkey you would probably enjoy a good iso hatch.  You can fish those nymphs fast, stripping line like you would a streamer. 

fishlessman

« Reply #17 on: Nov 06, 2018, 10:07 AM »
I was going to say it's one thing to have a preferance on fly choice and or fly fishing style but it's another thing to not fish they way that catches most of the trout. 

I used to be in the same camp though.  Didn't like nymphing at all but stuck with it.  Eventually, once I learned how to keep my nymphs near the bottom, I caught a lot more trout.  Now I'm working on learning which hatches and when.  Lots of bugs to remember.  Seamonkey you would probably enjoy a good iso hatch.  You can fish those nymphs fast, stripping line like you would a streamer.

its all in the learning game with nymphs, at first you think was that a strike...and dont react. then its i believe that could have been a strike and dont react. then its that was a strike and you hesitate but then lift the rod.  then the magic comes when everything is a strike and theres no thinking, just setting the hook. i still carry steamers and dries. you can dead drift streamers in fast pocket water ;D

lowaccord66

« Reply #18 on: Nov 06, 2018, 10:34 AM »

fishlessman

« Reply #19 on: Nov 06, 2018, 12:19 PM »
https://youtu.be/5m0QbVTWhtw

i can do that all day.....step 9 would have been dropping the fly under the chair he is sitting in and hooking up

lowaccord66

« Reply #20 on: Nov 06, 2018, 12:24 PM »
Set that hook!

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #21 on: Nov 06, 2018, 01:25 PM »
Mend it!
Wicked Wec

fishlessman

« Reply #22 on: Nov 06, 2018, 01:52 PM »
not much of a guide if he couldnt get that little girl on a fish

zwiggles

« Reply #23 on: Nov 06, 2018, 02:05 PM »
not much of a guide if he couldnt get that little girl on a fish

Or to drink a beer....

fishlessman

« Reply #24 on: Nov 06, 2018, 03:00 PM »
the one thing about nymph fishing is you get zoned out from your surroundings, your world is now the size of a 4 x 6 inch post card with a strike indicator on it

lowaccord66

« Reply #25 on: Nov 06, 2018, 06:07 PM »
No indicator for this guy....the rest I agree completely.  Best medicine after work.  Daylight savings is messing it all up!

Funny thing about the set the hook part of that parody...one day I was doing that routine jokingly with a friend...I hooked a rainbow...made me laugh.  Never felt the hit. 

seamonkey84

« Reply #26 on: Nov 06, 2018, 11:34 PM »
No indicator for this guy....the rest I agree completely.  Best medicine after work.  Daylight savings is messing it all up!

Funny thing about the set the hook part of that parody...one day I was doing that routine jokingly with a friend...I hooked a rainbow...made me laugh.  Never felt the hit.
I call those fish freebies lol. Had that happen once when I was just picking up to do a water haul back upstream. The indictor rig was in slack water and I never saw the take, I lifted the line and a fish started pulling back.  Lately, When I do nymph, it’s usually tight lined with a weighted fly or drop shot style. If I can get away with sight fishing it, all the better, with a bright fly like a egg pattern or small bugger ahead of a nymph. The buggers I tie are usually sz 10-14 and I drift them like nymphs anyway, and swing at the end.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.