FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Terrova ipilot remote distance  (Read 622 times)

fishinjohn

Terrova ipilot remote distance
« on: Feb 28, 2024, 07:09 AM »
So as the weather stays warm and the option of hitting the lakes keeps poking me in the face... I plan on hitting the water somewhere this weekend...
I might not have a copilot that can back up a trailer and with no docks being out might make things challenging..with that being said I wonder how far the ipilot remote will transmit Signal to the motor.. could I deploy the motor and move boat towards shore to pick me up after I put truck in lot... and vice versa when I'm done fishing

gotagetm

Re: Terrova ipilot remote distance
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2024, 07:22 AM »
Lol no john...at least for me ...one of the funniest things I saw at the harbor in Buffalo...a guy backed his bass boat in and was taking forever ..he was blocking ramp..a guy asked if he wanted him to hold the boat ...the guy sarcastically told him didn't need help...well he forgot to turn trolling motor on and you can't do it from remote..backed trailer in got out of truck with remote and .....off boat floated ...ide never trust it to run without me in boat ...I just tie a longer rope to boat and to trailer back it in let it float off and untie from trailer and tie off somewhere till I park truck ..just what I do

fishinator

« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2024, 07:34 AM »
I have launched my boat and used the spot lock to keep it in place. I wasn't sure on remote range so I left my remote on the side of the ramp.

fishinjohn

« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2024, 07:43 AM »
I have launched my boat and used the spot lock to keep it in place. I wasn't sure on remote range so I left my remote on the side of the ramp.
Yea that's what I was thinking... I'd have to climb in the boat,  turn it on and deploy it.. then get away from ramp and spot lock.. then bring it back to me...
Ben I would do that but I don't want the boat getting  shore rash

gotagetm

« Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2024, 09:26 AM »
Ah ok

lowaccord66

« Reply #5 on: Mar 07, 2024, 08:26 AM »
Have seen the runaway boat thing myself and also the EPO's around here (ct) dont like that either.  Its a liability. 

Why not run a keel guard and then not worry about shore rash.

fishinjohn

« Reply #6 on: Mar 07, 2024, 08:55 AM »
Have seen the runaway boat thing myself and also the EPO's around here (ct) dont like that either.  Its a liability. 

Why not run a keel guard and then not worry about shore rash.
The amount of time I use the boat when a dock isn't available isn't that much.  Besides, keel guard or not I prefer not to run my boat onto the shore

lowaccord66

« Reply #7 on: Mar 07, 2024, 09:23 AM »
The amount of time I use the boat when a dock isn't available isn't that much.  Besides, keel guard or not I prefer not to run my boat onto the shore

Hmmm, I dont understand how using your ipilot would solve this issue for your next trip.  In your first post you mention "could I deploy the motor and move boat towards shore to pick me up"

How are you doing this without running the boat into shore? 

fishinjohn

« Reply #8 on: Mar 07, 2024, 09:59 AM »
Have you never boarded your boat while standing in 2ft of water?
Not trying to be an ass here but it's quite simple...
If I have to go solo I was asking if anyone knew a distance the remote would transmit... thats all!
I went 4x last spring and once this spring with no dock and was easily able to have the other person jump in the boat without touching the shore and rashing up the bottom of the boat...
I would jump in the boat while trailer is in the water and launch it.. then deploy motor and move close enough to shore to jump off the boat and move boat with remote a little ways away so not to interfere with other fisherman launching, them remotely bring boat close enough to shore so I could climb in it..   
I will have to test this theory and post results

lowaccord66

« Reply #9 on: Mar 07, 2024, 11:28 AM »
A quick google search shows the concensus is 75-100 yard transmit distance for your remote.  Good luck!

Mac Attack

« Reply #10 on: Mar 07, 2024, 01:02 PM »
A quick google search shows the concensus is 75-100 yard transmit distance for your remote.  Good luck!

I saw the same thing.
Someone also suggesting to try yours because of the variables involved, like the battery in the remote for instance.
Good suggestion.  I would stand on shore and point it down the shore away from you but parallel to the shore line.
When the remote starts failing note the distance by walking to where the boat is and you are now closer to get it back under control.

Good luck.

Oh yea, I can't get my fat a$$ into the boat in only 6" of water.   ;D

fishinjohn

« Reply #11 on: Mar 07, 2024, 01:13 PM »
Mac after some thought, I'm going to just do this in my yard.. same concept except I won't have the chance to lose the boat!! Lol

Mac Attack

« Reply #12 on: Mar 08, 2024, 07:06 AM »
Mac after some thought, I'm going to just do this in my yard.. same concept except I won't have the chance to lose the boat!! Lol

Great idea.
I understand that once you set spotlock you can move away out of range and the motor will stay there.
You simply cannot change or retrieve the thing.
So maybe this really isn't as big an issue as we are making it.

Make sure your remote batteries are good ones.
They last like forever, however, I always changed mine out in the spring anyway.
Also had a spre set in my boat bag.

Have fun and please post your results John.

fishinator

« Reply #13 on: Mar 08, 2024, 07:21 AM »
Great idea.
I understand that once you set spotlock you can move away out of range and the motor will stay there.

They last like forever, however, I always changed mine out in the spring anyway.

I was thinking the exact same thing. I would think that it would stay spot locked until it was told not to. I have seen some odd things with mine though. I was trolling along using the direction heading. Went under a draw bridge and the motor turned 90° and almost tossed me out of the boat. Did it twice under the same bridge.

fishinjohn

« Reply #14 on: Mar 08, 2024, 09:02 AM »
Great idea.

Interesting!!!  I will most definitely be testing this... as for batteries, mine is internal and just needs charged

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.