FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: fovorite sink tip fly line  (Read 24354 times)

Mogi

fovorite sink tip fly line
« on: Oct 12, 2013, 09:45 AM »
Hey all. Im really starting to get into lake fishing for big bows and browns. I'm currently using Supra Sink Tip line from Scientific Anglers in 9wt on a 6' 9wt rod. It has an 14ft weighted section and I think the sink rate is around 5-6ips. Can anyone give me the pros and cons of a sink tip line vs a full sink line?

Mogi

Re: fovorite sink tip fly line
« Reply #1 on: Oct 13, 2013, 11:35 AM »
Hey all. Im really starting to get into lake fishing for big bows and browns. I'm currently using Supra Sink Tip line from Scientific Anglers in 9wt on a 6' 9wt rod. It has an 14ft weighted section and I think the sink rate is around 5-6ips. Can anyone give me the pros and cons of a sink tip line vs a full sink line?
Wow...chatty thread!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Oct 13, 2013, 11:57 AM »
Guess there's not a lot of sink tip fishers here :-\

I use a 7wt Cortland sink tip drifting for bass on Lake Ontario sometimes. Mostly, I stream fish with floaters. Not much help I'm afraid.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Mogi

« Reply #3 on: Oct 13, 2013, 12:49 PM »
No worries. Like you I for the most part stream and river fish. Lake fished plenty but mostly with dries or float & nymph. I was just being a smart @$$ and trying to get a few tips on...for me anyway...a new tactic.

stripernut

« Reply #4 on: Oct 13, 2013, 02:06 PM »
I use Orvis Depth Charge line in the salt, if you are looking to get down and cast far, you can't go wrong with it, It is a sinking "Head" with a intermediate running line, which gives you a very straight "run" to your fly, giving you a better hook set then a sink tip... Not knowing how you are fishing for the brown, hope that helps???

Mogi

« Reply #5 on: Oct 13, 2013, 03:08 PM »
Mainly just varying the count down to retrieval and rate of retrieval. Getting strikes on the descent and when doing short snappy strips

stripernut

« Reply #6 on: Oct 13, 2013, 04:03 PM »
How deep are you fishing?

Mogi

« Reply #7 on: Oct 13, 2013, 04:40 PM »
As deep as 35fow but not sure how far down Im actually getting  though. On a slow retrieval by the time Im to the sink tip section (14ft sink section) I'm usually pulling it straight up. I wouldnt think any deeper than 15-18fow...that is a guess though.

stripernut

« Reply #8 on: Oct 13, 2013, 06:43 PM »
Often a sink tip it is hard to feel bite and get a good hook set... Most of the time there is a "Bow" in the line...

Mogi

« Reply #9 on: Oct 13, 2013, 07:35 PM »
Ignorance is bliss...I have been fighting that "bow" a little bit and just figured it was part of the game. Is that where the intermediate running section earns its keep?

stripernut

« Reply #10 on: Oct 13, 2013, 10:30 PM »
Much less "Bow"...

Mogi

« Reply #11 on: Oct 31, 2013, 10:09 PM »
Spooled up a reel with 300gr streamer express from scientific anglers. It totally got rid of the "bow". Makes for a nice parallel retreive. Gonna give it try targeting pike this weekend.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.