FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Leaders?  (Read 3685 times)

TMadness1013

Leaders?
« on: Jun 01, 2006, 08:53 PM »
Hi all,

I'd like to preface this by saying that I do not fish for a particular species...ideally, I'd like to catch a little bit of everything.

I've heard that you should always fish with a leader so that toothy fish such as Walleye, Pike, Musky, etc. do not break your line. 

Currently, I'm using 6lb. test - would a leader be a wise investment??  I caught a pike today without any trouble but she was fairly small. 

If so - what are your recommendations??  Thanks in advance!

esox slayer

Re: Leaders?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 01, 2006, 09:47 PM »
If you're going to be in waters with pike,especially bigger ones, then first thing I'd do is change to either an 8 or more preferably 10 pound test line.  This is for my spincasting set up, I don't use any of the braided lines available now either, I stick with mono.  Trolling is going to be another issue altogether.

I generally run a 12 inch steel leader similar to what I use for my tip ups and seem to have success in hooking up fish, the leader doesn't seem to scare them off or make them shy away from hitting the lure.  I do prefer the "cross lock" type leaders rather than the cheapies.

I don't like losing my big rapalas or any of my big pike spoons and lures et al., so I run with a steel leader.  Just my .02, I'm sure the members will pipe in here and offer some other good advice as well.....tight lines, and welcome aboard, Esox

Team NY!!Setting the standard for which all others are thrashed!! 
                                                                                Former Marine-Semper Fi!!!

devil-man

« Reply #2 on: Jun 01, 2006, 10:05 PM »
I think 6# is OK for walleye.
If you are specifically targeting pike go to 10#, as Mr. Esox wisely suggested.
Muskie? For Christ's sake, man! Get out the rope... J/K
I would probably switch to Fireline for them.

I don't use leaders of any kind. It has cost me a few lures, but not many.
If the bait is presented properly and at the right speed it isn't an issue.

JMHO- Take it with a grain of salt.  8)

oakorchardfishking

• "Another satisfied WNY union member."
« Reply #3 on: Jun 01, 2006, 11:19 PM »
I agree with D'MAN
I am not into wire leaders... even when ice fishing tip-ups I only use a 14lb. mono leader off of my dacron!
With those 14lb. leaders I have caught many BIG pike, muskie and pickeral!... only lost a slight few!
As for casting or trolling... here is one from a week ago on 6lb stren with no leader and an X-RAP lure was used.
I was casting...

As for walleye... I used to use 8lb. but last year reduced to 6lb. for a bit more of a challenge.
But still have never used a wire leader.
Walleye are some finicky fish and I think a wire leader may just be a spook factor for them!
I went one whole walleye season on a particular lake, catching some pretty large sized walleye... and on 6lb. test I never lost a lure and better yet, never took off the first lure that I started that season with!
That was a great year, and I retired that lure back to an original box and put it on a display shelf because it was literally pokes full of all different sized holes and severely scraped up! Looks cool for a display piece to get comments on!
Anyways... Its all a personal preference.
But I go light... 6lb. test on my medium/light 6'6" rods with spinning reels and no leader for both casting for pike, jigging for eyes or trolling for eye... and whatever else wants to bite in between!  ;)

xrhino

• MMMM! Beer!
« Reply #4 on: Jun 02, 2006, 01:27 PM »
Mac,
Walleye:  I'm not much of a walleye fisherman so I'll leave that to those more knowledgable than me.

Pike:  Thanks to you guys on IS, I quit using leaders on my tip-ups and my hits probably went up a little.  Thanks.  I'll try it again next year for sure.  In open water though, I still use a wire leader when specifically targeting pike.  With the faster presentation I don't think the fish see the leader or care about it if they do.  It's probably not always required.  I just look at it as cheap insurance as it doesn't really bother me or the fish.  You can get by with out one most of the time, I'm just not willling to take that chance.

Muskie:  Always.  Always.  Always.  And don't skimp on the swivels and clips either.  Sorry devil-man, we're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one. :)
Pain is weakness leaving the body.

High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement

King Fisher

• Born to FISH forced to WORK!
« Reply #5 on: Jun 12, 2006, 04:06 PM »
I have always had good success with steel leaders.  I have used them for trolling, casting and on my tip-ups as well.  I dont plan on changing any time soon, but the mono-leaders might work if they are heavy enough.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.