FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: The proper way to remove an imbedded fishing hook  (Read 3857 times)

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
The proper way to remove an imbedded fishing hook
« on: Jun 03, 2005, 03:50 PM »
 did you know the proper way to remove a fish hook, especially trebles?

1) Remove hook from lure. 2) Double the fishing line and loop it around the hook, as close to the skin's surface as possible. 3) Hold onto both ends of the doubled line, wrapping them around your hand for a firm grip and holding the line parallel to the skins surface in line with the hook. 4) With your other hand, press the eye of the hook down onto the surface of the skin and back toward the hook's bend, as if trying to back the hook out of the wound. 5) While pressing on the hook eye, yank the line sharply, parallel to the skin and in line with the hook, to snap the hook back out of the wound.

(picture from www.simplesurvival.net)

I've removed some seriously deep hooks this way, and after disinfecting the wound, slapped a bandage on and it was ok.  (i ALWAYS carry a first aid kid with me on the boat, and at least a few alcohol rubs and band-aids whenever i do any kind of fishing)

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
Re: The proper way to remove an imbedded fishing hook
« Reply #1 on: Jun 03, 2005, 05:22 PM »
did you know the proper way to remove a fish hook, especially trebles?

1) Remove hook from lure. 2) Double the fishing line and loop it around the hook, as close to the skin's surface as possible. 3) Hold onto both ends of the doubled line, wrapping them around your hand for a firm grip and holding the line parallel to the skins surface in line with the hook. 4) With your other hand, press the eye of the hook down onto the surface of the skin and back toward the hook's bend, as if trying to back the hook out of the wound. 5) While pressing on the hook eye, yank the line sharply, parallel to the skin and in line with the hook, to snap the hook back out of the wound.

(picture from www.simplesurvival.net)

I've removed some seriously deep hooks this way, and after disinfecting the wound, slapped a bandage on and it was ok.  (i ALWAYS carry a first aid kid with me on the boat, and at least a few alcohol rubs and band-aids whenever i do any kind of fishing)

That's what I do. I've only had one hook that was in so deep that surgery was needed. I almost went fully through my hand, and was hooked around the bone.

fishercat

• hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #2 on: Jun 03, 2005, 05:53 PM »
Removed a hook like that from the wife when she grabbed the crankbait trying to land a fish :nono: with a 12-14"smallmouth on the other end. Scream yell she has a hook in her hand. Put the smallmouth to "sleep" and cut the hook off the lure and removed the hook in the way pictured. Worked like a charm she said it was not all the bad. :P :P
I fish for those "stupid fish" BASS. Largemouth Smallmouth Stripers, and even Rock bass.

trapperdirk

« Reply #3 on: Jun 04, 2005, 12:03 AM »
I'ved absorbed a few hooks myself in the day but always perform the surgery myself and keep right on fishing . Those ones that hit the bone though can cause some bruising but then again I've had both thumbs caught in a number 4 leghold before at the same time and now that is a fun mess to get out of when your alone . :-\

TD
The bush is not a passion , it's in my soul.

TD

grumpymoe

« Reply #4 on: Oct 24, 2005, 08:13 PM »
great tips bigred....and trapper.....I'll keep an eye out for any fish swimming around with BandAids......or lengths of questionable chain........Great post...Grump :thumbup_smilie:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.