FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Barbless  (Read 4480 times)

lake_357

Barbless
« on: Mar 18, 2004, 12:34 PM »
Hey guys and gals

Iam from the great province of Manitoba (N.H.L Less) though

But I understand that the barbless law is coming into effect there just wondering how you all feel about it. We have been barbless for a long time here and dont evan think about it anymore its better for the big ones you release think of it that way

any how  just wondering
  ggod fishing and always keep the line tight especially now !!
excuses are like asses everybody has one and they all stink

vancouvercanuck

Re: Barbless
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19, 2004, 01:37 PM »
No difference to me, it doesn't change the mortality rate on the fish. Just pinch down the barbs on my hooks now.
"Surveys show that minesweaping draws the most diligent and precise individuals of any profession with employees averaging only one mistake per career." - Author Unknown

Trevor

« Reply #2 on: Mar 19, 2004, 10:58 PM »
Van, there may not be sufficient documented evidence to support the theory of lower mortality rates when fishing barbless but I'm behind it 100%.  Sure there may be other factors that would significantly decrease mortality rates, such as better educating anglers, but how can barbless not help. There may be arguements against barless such as the fact some believe you may be a little more cautious when landing a fish, you may tend to play it longer, not horsing it, out of fear of losing it.  More time played definitely decreases the fish's chances of survival.  I believe this arguement to be weak.  I've been using barbless hooks on my pike flies for several years.  I started doing it because I found most of the damage to my flies occured while I fought to dislodge the barbed hook from the pike's jaw.  Sometimes it was tough even with the right tools.  After going barbless the number of lost fish did not change, of course the pike's instinct is to clamp down it's jaws when something is in it's mouth.  Sometimes I think you could land them without a hook.  Trout, as you know,  tend to do the opposite.  Mouth wide open as they leap and head shake.  Anyway the point is I noticed a huge difference in the stress I was putting on fish when handling them.  Albeit it true I have lost some nice trout on barbless hooks, but who's to say I wouldn't have lost them were I fishing with barbed hooks.

Some people feel you lose less fish on barbless hooks.  They believe because you are consciously aware that your hook is barbless you will be less careless.  Their take is that the barbed hook simply gives you a false sense of security.  I'm not so sure of this either.  What I have found is as Lake_357 mentioned, I really haven't noticed a difference as far as losing fish.  However as far as mortality rates, I believe it differs greatly.

There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that the new barbless laws, if anglers adhere, will greatly improve our province's fisheries over the next several years.  If nothing else it is at least another step in the right direction.  Until someone can show me documentation stating barbless will hurt our fisheries, I will gladly go barbless in the meantime.

I know there are many other areas that need attention.  Such as the issue of perch anglers who cull an entire lake on a regular basis.  What I mean by this is anglers who kill 100 perch a day to get a limit of 15.  Barbless won't help this situation.  I've seen it so many times.  Guys haul undersized perch out of 30, 40, 50' of water all day.  They know they are small when they hook em, yet they bring em up as fast as possible in order to get the hook back down to the school.   The little thigs are just left to struggle in the ice hole with their swim bladders protruding.   You get thousands of guys doing this every day on hundreds of our province's lakes, now I wonder why our lakes are hurting.  These guys need to understand, the first 15 you catch, take em home, include them in your limit.   It's the sportsmanlike, not to mention conservation minded thing to do.  Not to get too off topic here but this is probably one of the strongest arguements out there to support the use of underwater cameras.  The angler is able to see the fish, even when fishing deep.  This gives the angler the ability to harvest selectively before even setting the hook.  One can pull his or her hook away from the small fish, essentially saving their lives.

Unfortunately some anglers will just never understand this.  Sure enough just as you have people who are givers and takers, you have anglers. 

It's not an ideal world.  We just need to take it one step at a time.  Barbless for now...

Trevor

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #3 on: Mar 19, 2004, 11:29 PM »
Trevor, you raise some very valid points.  I bass fish a lot and have used both barbed and barbless methods over the last several years, and with them I do notice a difference with landed fish.  The question then becomes, as anglers, are we willing to pay the price for losing fish?  I personally had a hard time with it, but agree with it in principle.  I am very careful removing hooks, painstakingly trying to be easy and gentle with the fish.  A lot of people that practice C&R with barbs tend to just rip those hooks right out flesh and all.  But if you are careful, you can guide the hook out with minimal resistance.

To me, it's a personal preference.  In the case that you describe, if it's a law, then it's not a preference, it's mandatory...that's all I'd need to here to fish that body of water.  Pass the pliers.  Not worth the ticket or fine.

Trevor

« Reply #4 on: Mar 19, 2004, 11:50 PM »
FB, I agree it's easy for us as experienced anglers, who care, to remove a barbed hook with little damage to the fish.  I think where we'll benefit in Alberta is with anglers who are not experienced at handling fish, as well as with anglers who don't care.  I've seen guys mistreat fish because the fish did not fall within slot size limits and had to be released, just out of spite.  I've also seen guys get frustrated after a few seconds of trying to dislodge a hook that was down deep and practically rip the fish's head off to get the hook out.
I know barbless won't change these attitudes, but it might give fish in these situations a slightly better chance.  Another thing, experienced anglers who know how to properly fight fish probably won't notice such a drastic decrease in the amount of fish they lose compared to less experienced anglers.  This may equate to even less fish being handled by inexperienced anglers, period.  I don't mean to pick on the inexperienced.  I have fished with guys who were new to the sport who handled fish quite well, but in general.....

I agree if it's not law then it's definitely the angler's choice.  Up until now most of my fishing has been with barbed hooks.   If it weren't for the new laws,  I would continue doing most of my fishing with barbed hooks.    But if I could use an analogy.  Wearing a seat belt, many believe should be the individual's choice.  Some believe the seat belt laws to be a revenue getting cash cow, but fact is it saves lives.

Trevor

lake_357

« Reply #5 on: Mar 20, 2004, 08:00 AM »

I am glad to see that I got some responses on the topic.

although I dont really like the attitude barbless really does say the fish.

We as anglers should be glad that something is being done for the future of fishing.

I have fished barbless for the past 20 or so years and have landed my fair share or trophys the most important thin to remember is to keep the line tight at all times and make sure the drag is set.

If you have been a angler for a long time you really shouldn't notice a differance

remember excuses are like asses everyone has one and they all stink.

good luck guys and keep the line tight
excuses are like asses everybody has one and they all stink

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.