FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: It may be true: Tiger Trout are even hardier than Brown trout  (Read 4622 times)

taxid

Re: It may be true: Tiger Trout are even hardier than Brown trout
« Reply #15 on: Jul 17, 2018, 12:25 PM »
I know of a guy out west that had a pond stocked with trout. Come summer he couldn't get a bite and assumed they had all perished. Then fall rolled around and he was catching healthy trout left and right. If they can find a refugium of cold oxygenated water they can survive. I suspect that is what is happening with the big ones that are turning up in the fall. If you can find where they are hiding out you could be in for some incredible fishing for large fish. It could be just a small area.

Granted perhaps survival isn't what t used to be, but all it takes is a few from 5 to 10 lbs. to make it worthwhile. And they did get that back in the past. My biggest bow was 7 lbs. and I mounted a 10 lb. brown for a guy out of there. Then there's the state record of 18 lbs. 8 oz. out of there.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

zwiggles

« Reply #16 on: Jul 19, 2018, 02:26 PM »
 do you think trout would stop eating when they get forced into a hole like that? Say it’s a spring, or a river inlet, and the trout found a teeny tiny section of water which they could hold over in through the hottest months, do you think they may stop eating to conserve energy? I know it sounds counterintuitive, but maybe the act of digestion/foraging would increase their body temp to a point where it would shut down, so they simply live off the reserves and expend zero energy for anything but breathing? Kind of like some fish when they enter spawn?

taxid

« Reply #17 on: Jul 19, 2018, 05:40 PM »
Zwiggles,

Most fish species that I know of our poikilothermic which means they are the same temp as the water so they're body temp is always the same as the water they are in. Only exceptions I know of that are not are Tuna and sharks but I sure there are others. But they are still nothing like mammals that are warm blooded.

So no, activity wouldn't increase their body temps, but stressful conditions like marginal temps or marginal oxygen very well could make them negative to feeding as they hunker down and wait it out until turn over.

Fishhogger may have being marking some large gizzard shad that weren't interested in his bait as they are zooplankton feeders when suspended. A friend drooped a camera down on marked fish once in Clear and marked a big school of small gar!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #18 on: Jul 24, 2018, 09:50 AM »
Wow must be nice to have a lake that has lots of forage! It's no wonder Clear produces some large predator fish! Allegedly bluegills don't compete well with gizzard shad. Perhaps the exception on Clear Lake. Or the predators fish keep the shad in check? Or the bluegill fishing could be even better without the gizzard shad?

taxid

« Reply #19 on: Jul 24, 2018, 04:13 PM »
i wasnt on clear when i seen the shad schools "yesterday".  i should have made that clear. baha

i was on another bass run closer to home.

My bad. Just curious what lake that would be as I'm not aware of too many lakes in our area that have shad.  Can you P.M. me?

taxid

« Reply #20 on: Jul 25, 2018, 12:36 PM »
 I believe Hamilton does. Others?

lowaccord66

« Reply #21 on: Jul 25, 2018, 06:08 PM »
What I find odd about tigers is I can slay them with the spinning rod but with the fly rod they allude me.  Browns and bows...no problem...haven't caught a tiger on the long rod in a long time.

taxid

« Reply #22 on: Jul 25, 2018, 06:56 PM »
Maybe allegedly being more aggressive they prefer something with some meat on it?

lowaccord66

« Reply #23 on: Jul 25, 2018, 07:48 PM »
Sure seems that way based off my experiences.  Might be time to strap on some streamers and find out.

Arhepwo

« Reply #24 on: Sep 16, 2018, 11:40 PM »
This is very true. Tiger trout aren't able to reproduce because they are cross breeds between a brown trout and Brook trout. The only way it is easy to catch one is in a stocked spring fed pond.

Tight lines

Al

taxid

« Reply #25 on: Sep 17, 2018, 01:07 PM »
This is very true. Tiger trout aren't able to reproduce because they are cross breeds between a brown trout and Brook trout. The only way it is easy to catch one is in a stocked spring fed pond.

Tight lines

Al

or fed by a well like mine.  ;D.

I've been enhancing the feed with astaxanthin. Colors are really starting to pop with the tigers, brooks, and browns!

I'd take picture and post it but the pond is so criss crossed with lines to keep the ospreys out I can't fish it until I can take the lines down, which is when the ospreys fly south.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.