FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: It may be true: Tiger Trout are even hardier than Brown trout  (Read 4624 times)

taxid

I read once in a pond management magazine that tiger trout are hardier than even brown trout in marginal water temps and dissolved oxygen. And my trout egg supplier in Utah says the same. I was skeptical as after all they are partly brook trout, which require cooler water and more D.O.than their rainbow trout and brown trout counterparts.

Anyway, I moved trout from a pond that was not well water fed to keep it cool to one that is, this spring. Did not get all the trout out and they eventually expired due to higher water temps. First trout to go were brook trout which was expected. Last four trout were 3 tigers and one brown.

So perhaps there is something to this assertion?

Maybe a species to consider in waters that get marginal in summer?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

zwiggles

Re: It may be true: Tiger Trout are even hardier than Brown trout
« Reply #1 on: Jul 11, 2018, 05:38 PM »
I think, in general, most hybrids are more hearty than their parents.

I know you often see “hybrid vigor” in plants where they show exceptional growth rates compared to their parents.

Same idea with a mule.

taxid

« Reply #2 on: Jul 11, 2018, 06:03 PM »
I'm familiar with the hybrid vigor regarding growth rates etc. but never really thought about the hardiness factor, but yes plants and animals are definitely bred to be hardier. Corn is another example of a hybrid that is bred to withstand adverse conditions and pests.  Not sure the tigers were crossed for that reason, but apparently it's a byproduct?

My egg supplier did say under adverse conditions they may not grow much or even feed, but will hang in there where the other species will perish.

I have a lake near me that would be a perfect candidate for tigers. Has produced the state record of 18 lbs. 8 oz. rainbow and 2 to 3 pound rainbows were once common with my best a 7 lb. fish. It has a population of gizzard shad and yellow perch for forage. State claims survival is too low to justify stocking anymore trout although last fall trout up to 8 pounds were caught during a bass tournament. They did however dump some excess trout in the lake last year of small size which is better than nothing. 
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

westernmas

« Reply #3 on: Jul 13, 2018, 07:55 AM »
Sounds almost like a dog that is a mutt.  Mutts tend to have fewer health problems and live longer.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

taxid

« Reply #4 on: Jul 13, 2018, 10:16 AM »
did the DNR say what data told them the lake couldnt grow trout anymore?

Biologist Larry Koza cited a low return on tagged trout and low D.O. levels later in the summer in the lake. And abundant northern pike preying on the trout was also possibly a factor.

A now retired biologist told me the lake is a poor candidate for gill net surveys as the visibility is so good, fish avoid the net, so hopefully a seining survey was not used as criteria.

For me returned tags are like people responding to external surveys --  10 to 15 percent - not a good source for data. But to be fair I believe he said they had a 50 percent return rate of tags in a previous survey. I have also seen infections from tags, and knowing how sensitive trout are, I'd have to wonder if at least a small portion expired. I have seen my own trout become covered in fungus and die just by moving them in cold water and this was even with the use of salt!  I don't know what tags they used, but I'm not a big fan of spaghetti tags. I've seen them cause some really nasty infections at the point of entry.

And I think there are areas of the lake where the trout can survive as in an area of 50 plus deep water in the second basin where we caught them when we couldn't elsewhere. It was strange, but oxygen was good at that depth but sucked above that in the thermocline. The reverse of what it usually is for a mesotrophic lake in decline. 

Perhaps there is more to the story as in pressure from those that don't feel the trout should be in the lake and compete with their favored species? I.e. walleye fisherman and bluegill fisherman that have lines broken off by the trout while ice fishing?

Perhaps if I get my D.O. meter serviced I can get out there and collect some data of my own. It's presently on the fritz. I also want to get some time to get up there and fish for at least the big gills that Clear has!

taxid

« Reply #5 on: Jul 13, 2018, 10:22 AM »
Sounds almost like a dog that is a mutt.  Mutts tend to have fewer health problems and live longer.

Perhaps. I do agree with your mutt observation in dogs as I have seen it too. This time I got a purebred Akita at the humane shelter and she's been expensive!

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #6 on: Jul 13, 2018, 01:39 PM »
Perhaps. I do agree with your mutt observation in dogs as I have seen it too. This time I got a purebred Akita at the humane shelter and she's been expensive!

Try having 3 pure breed GSP's. LOL!

Wicked Wec

taxid

« Reply #7 on: Jul 13, 2018, 07:28 PM »
Beautiful dogs!

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #8 on: Jul 14, 2018, 02:43 AM »
Thanks taxid.

Great family dogs and amazing hunting partners. They do eat a lot though!
Wicked Wec

taxid

« Reply #9 on: Jul 14, 2018, 07:42 AM »
I don't know of a dog that isn't aways hungry! And my America Akita is about 120 pounds so I know all about buying lots of dog food!  We get our dog food from Amazon Prime with free shipping. Helps a lot.

taxid

« Reply #10 on: Jul 14, 2018, 11:45 AM »
Clear has always been known for some big bluegills, probably biggest in the state. Would be even more if there was a bag limit as they are really vulnerable in the fall when they stack up in a certain basin. I know a guy that was there every day in the fall and bragged about pulling out a few hundred in a week's time. . He also said he gave them all away. I and couple with me caught about 20 a piece and left.

Looks like if you want to catch trout you are now limited to Gage, the Oliver Lake Chain, and Tri-Lakes. Amazing compared to how many lakes were planted only 20 years ago.  Haven't bought my trout stamp this year and probably won't. Will probably be fishing Michigan more than Indiana.

taxid

« Reply #11 on: Jul 14, 2018, 03:51 PM »
here is the biggest from last night.  not a monster for there tho, as you know.

10-3/4"er

springs in that basin maybe contributing to DO level oddity?

Springs themselves typically have low dissolved oxygen.

taxid

« Reply #12 on: Jul 15, 2018, 03:12 PM »
Nice fish! An 11 inch bluegill is a trophy anywhere.

taxid

« Reply #13 on: Jul 16, 2018, 08:14 AM »
I wasn't ever really "working with the DNR" although I had a few summer jobs with them as biologist aid and couple of creel surveys after graduating from college. When I was a member of NEITA I believe the impetus for the 10 to 5 bag limit was the fish hogs on the Pigeon. Not you of course.  ;D. I seem to remember a regional supervisor not being impressed with what went on down there on opening morning. I fail to see the logic of that though, as the 99.999 percent of the trout on the Pigeon never make it through the summer.

I've never seen a 12 or 12 plus gill on Clear (on a board), but I have seen and mounted some 11 1/2's from Clear.

Clear also produced some bruiser browns back in it's hey day. If I was the INDNR I'd put some in as an experiment if the tigers are out of the question although the eggs are easily obtained complete with health certification.

taxid

« Reply #14 on: Jul 17, 2018, 09:59 AM »
That bluegill could still be mountable. I've mounted fish that were just thrown in a freezer, not wrapped in anything, and forgotten for years. It's a job but it can be done. What I usually do is put them in ice water overnight. The next day I open the fish up with an incision on the wall side. Then soak more. Over a couple of days I'm usually able to get the the fish completely open and keep hydrating until I can remove al the flesh which has the consistency of balsa wood.

I'd be willing to try it with no charge unless I can rehydrate the entire fish and we are good to go.

As far as Clear putting tigers or browns in probably would only consider it if enough of us ask them to. I think the inland trout program is way low on the priority list with the steelhead etc. on Lake Michigan a much bigger priority.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.