FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 623892 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #3930 on: Dec 29, 2020, 04:31 PM »
And...I’m going to let them cure for a week or so. Don’t want any mishaps in transport.

Bob
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Bartman44

« Reply #3931 on: Dec 29, 2020, 07:35 PM »
They look great RG. 

Bartman44

« Reply #3932 on: Dec 29, 2020, 07:39 PM »
Switching gears from scuds. Many years ago, I became infatuated with Great Lakes tributaries and I spent entire winters wading in ice cold water chasing browns and steelhead.  I gave it up while raising a family. My son recently expressed an interest in giving the tribs a try so earlier this month, I dusted off all the old gear and flies and off we went.   

The pink worm with a “twist” is a pattern I picked up in some magazine many years ago.  You basically cut off twice as much chenille as you would tie a normal worm pattern, tie in half on one end, then stretch it and twist it about 7 or 8 times. While still holding it, you double it back and tie it in and then let go. The chenille twists onto itself, giving the worm a segmented look. Repeat the process on the other side and you’re done. It used to work well, especially in the spring.

Well my son tied on one of these old pink worms and caught this rather large brown trout so I figured it was time to restock the box with them.   I’m pretty certain I will be wading in ice- cold water again this winter with him.         

If you have any favorites for the Great Lakes tributaries and don’t mind sharing, I’d like to see what others are throwing nowadays. 

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3933 on: Dec 29, 2020, 09:13 PM »
That’s a beautiful thing! Many years ago....many many years ago.....I used to float a small brown buck tail with a wax worm in the smaller tribs around me. Egg sucking leach worked well too.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

icefisher47

« Reply #3934 on: Dec 30, 2020, 10:12 AM »
The bobber project.

One in the works.

It’s getting there.

Rg
That is amazing work. I agree I don’t think I would be able to use something so nice. It would go up for display. You are very talented RG
Take a kid fishing

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3935 on: Dec 30, 2020, 11:20 AM »
That is amazing work. I agree I don’t think I would be able to use something so nice. It would go up for display. You are very talented RG
  My bride said the same thing.   ;)
But I told her fishing stuff is to be used for fishing.. ;D
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

gotagetm

« Reply #3936 on: Dec 30, 2020, 11:35 AM »
Wish I could see pictures for some reason lately I can read all posts but no pics

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3937 on: Dec 30, 2020, 03:35 PM »

Well, I don’t see myself as so talented really. I’m just an old guy with time on his hands and commitment to learning something new every day. The more you do, the more you think.....the more you think.......the more you do.

Picked up a block of balsa wood at a local craft store the other day. Turned up a few larger bobbers to play with. Just put the wrap and first coat of finish on one. It’ll be a few days before it’s finished. I’m going to try and take some photos of how I’m doing these. They’re not hard to make with simple tools.

I know.....I’ve gone overboard with the fixtures and all.....but that’s just me. Believe me...anyone can make these.

Rg

Bartman44

« Reply #3938 on: Dec 30, 2020, 04:37 PM »
We'll, in addition to being talented, you're also humble.  I think we can all agree that we all look forward to seeing your many inventions and concoctions, and gardening expertise.   

I look forward to meeting you in person. I'm retiring in 2021 and plan to be very mobile. Once vaccinated, I'll meet you on the Webster Pier for a beer and a few casts. 

Hell, we should throw a big  MYFISHINDER get-together once this craziness is all over.         

BW

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3939 on: Dec 30, 2020, 04:51 PM »
You’re too kind. But, I can think of way better places to meet than the Webster pier.

Here I go again, but, many years ago I used to get up at 1-2 am and head to Webster pier to fish for browns and steelhead coming into the creek. I had many an encounter with both Webster police and the Monroe County Sheriffs. I remember letting one officer reel in a steelhead that hit while he was checking me on the pier with my lantern and stuff.

I still remember the big grin on his face when I  netted the fish. Probably never get that opportunity again. Had to be 25 years ago....I think.

Anyway, I dont put this stuff up to bolster my ego. Just to share.

Rg

Bartman44

« Reply #3940 on: Jan 02, 2021, 08:09 AM »
Good story, nice little park. I used to hit it when my youngest son travelled and played AAU Basketball and my oldest son played college baseball which occasionally pitted him against the University of Rochester.     

The assembly line continues. Tied up some Copper John's. 

yankmyline

« Reply #3941 on: Jan 02, 2021, 10:48 AM »
Nice ties. Trout and pannies will eat those up.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3942 on: Jan 04, 2021, 01:26 PM »
A little gift for a friend of mine.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3943 on: Jan 04, 2021, 02:38 PM »
Here’s a few more I’ve been working on.

Rg

jperch

« Reply #3944 on: Jan 04, 2021, 04:47 PM »
WOW.  Just beautiful and you are obviously having fun!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.