FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Bucket list rocket fish  (Read 4917 times)

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
Re: Bucket list rocket fish
« Reply #15 on: Aug 27, 2019, 04:00 PM »
Mike, Sounds like a great time ! How far off shore do get them and wondered if they reach Maine ?

Wayne like Jon said, they were reachable from shore. I also do not believe they reach Maine. Warm water and currents is key.
Wicked Wec

fish wayniac

« Reply #16 on: Aug 27, 2019, 04:28 PM »
Ok Thanks !

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
« Reply #17 on: Aug 27, 2019, 06:26 PM »
Mike, Sounds like a great time ! How far off shore do get them and wondered if they reach Maine ?
Actually last year they were catching them in maine. It was a freak occurrence though. I wouldn't target them in maine but anything can happen as we saw last year.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #18 on: Aug 28, 2019, 08:10 AM »
Actually last year they were catching them in maine. It was a freak occurrence though. I wouldn't target them in maine but anything can happen as we saw last year.

Interesting.
Wicked Wec

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #19 on: Aug 28, 2019, 10:59 AM »
Albies might be on my list for this weekend. We shall see.
Wicked Wec

The Jigger

• Member of the G.O.D.S.
« Reply #20 on: Aug 28, 2019, 07:26 PM »
I did catch small bonito last year in Gloucester. It's funny. In the gulf they consider them trash fish. There are school after schools of them down there and can be big. 

stripernut

« Reply #21 on: Aug 28, 2019, 09:35 PM »
It's funny. In the gulf they consider them trash fish. There are school after schools of them down there and can be big.

If they can't deep fry it, then they don't want to eat it...

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #22 on: Aug 29, 2019, 10:33 AM »
I have to be honest, I think that was the best sushi I ever had. I mean yes bleeding it right away and keeping it on ice is key like with any fish meal, but its insane how this fish is in the mackerel family but tastes just like tuna raw. I honestly kept swiping pieces while filleting it and eating it. The smoked fish however tasted just like mackerel. One way or another, I really enjoyed the fishing and eating.
Wicked Wec

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

« Reply #23 on: Aug 29, 2019, 02:16 PM »
I have to be honest, I think that was the best sushi I ever had. I mean yes bleeding it right away and keeping it on ice is key like with any fish meal, but its insane how this fish is in the mackerel family but tastes just like tuna raw. I honestly kept swiping pieces while filleting it and eating it. The smoked fish however tasted just like mackerel. One way or another, I really enjoyed the fishing and eating.
It reminds me of yellowfin a lot.

Roccus

« Reply #24 on: Aug 30, 2019, 08:36 AM »
fun little buggers aren't they.. I get them once in a while  this time of year mixed in with the mackerel..

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #25 on: Aug 30, 2019, 08:39 AM »
fun little buggers aren't they.. I get them once in a while  this time of year mixed in with the mackerel..

Sure are. The bottom fishing seems non existent in my area. Its a good thing these funny fish are around to keep things interesting.
Wicked Wec

Roccus

« Reply #26 on: Aug 31, 2019, 04:09 PM »
Got 2 this morning mixed in with the tinker macs...

lowaccord66

« Reply #27 on: Sep 01, 2019, 06:30 AM »
Got 2 this morning mixed in with the tinker macs...

Nice I hope to finally tangle with some tomorrow.  Hope your bass season is going well Joe.

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

« Reply #28 on: Sep 01, 2019, 01:53 PM »
Yesterday I landed 7 albies and lost count of how many bones I caught. Today had to scratch and settle for a couple bones. Amazing the difference a day will make. The 5 I kept yesterday were delicious.

Roccus

« Reply #29 on: Sep 01, 2019, 06:14 PM »
Nice I hope to finally tangle with some tomorrow.  Hope your bass season is going well Joe.
Thanks, it's been just like old times, pogies dissapeared this week, some of the bass left with them, lobster fishing has been awesome, unfortunately,  looking at the extended forecast, I'm pulling all 10 pots in the morning while I still can get them and before the get burried or end up on the beach..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.