FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: All power boats operators in NY will need safety course by 2025  (Read 15554 times)

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
Re: All power boats operators in NY will need safety course by 2025
« Reply #90 on: Aug 12, 2019, 06:08 PM »
i been thinking....I took a  hunter safety  course  when I was  12  took it again at 60 with the grand brat.  Im glad I did   same  with the bow  course  ...I  took a  3 hour safe  driving course  at  16  to  drive  took  a  extended  one  to lower my insurance  again  glad I  did ....i'm  going to take  this  boater safety  course ,it might  stop  me  from getting in a accident .... what do I have to  lose  except  ignorance  and I admit I'm not a great boater  to me it's  just a  tool to hunt ducks and  catch fish.....yes i been in  boats  over  55 years ...probably been  doing the  same  mistakes all that  time
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

Mac Attack

« Reply #91 on: Aug 12, 2019, 06:22 PM »
Good attitude Trap
However, there are others out there who feel that because they have never wrecked or sunk their boat, or received a citation, that they cannot learn more, or anything new.

Like I’ve said, I took the course back in the 60’s.  Yet, I had a tough time retaking the Florida boating course a few months back.

It’s not the common sense stuff.
It’s the “correct”rules, navigation buoys, etc.  that is tough to remember.

big_guy_13021

« Reply #92 on: Aug 12, 2019, 07:02 PM »
Are we still going on about this good grief.. :o

fishinjohn

« Reply #93 on: Aug 12, 2019, 07:06 PM »
Here is my 02 on this subject... if the state REALLY WANTED SAFETY to be their objective.. it would be MANDATORY AND FREE... it's nothing but a money scheme for the state.. no matter what ANYONE SAYS.. they see an opportunity to make money and they jump on it..
I'll gladly take the course.  However I feel its 100% BULLSH@#ST
You CANT FIX STUPID..
Case in point...
I'm at Barcelona on Sunday (big tourney going on)
My boat is resting on dock and another boat is resting on dock beside me.. NO ROOM FOR A 3RD BOAT...
Some JACKWAGON with a $65k boat decides hes gonna TRY to launch his boat BETWEEN US...
NOOOOO SIIIIR...
As I walked toward my boat.. I hollared.. HEY..  ILL BE OUT OF YOUR WAY IN 2 SECONDS
He decided to wait...
NO COURSE IS GONNA HELP THAT FELLA

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #94 on: Aug 13, 2019, 03:23 AM »
Good attitude Trap
However, there are others out there who feel that because they have never wrecked or sunk their boat, or received a citation, that they cannot learn more, or anything new.

Like I’ve said, I took the course back in the 60’s.  Yet, I had a tough time retaking the Florida boating course a few months back.

It’s not the common sense stuff.
It’s the “correct”rules, navigation buoys, etc.  that is tough to remember.

You need that knowledge in Florida waters Mac! Even on Lake Erie. That's big water.

I'll be 75 in 2025. If I still have my boat, I promise to take the course.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

trapper2000

« Reply #95 on: Aug 13, 2019, 04:37 AM »
i believe the fee's are  going to the  organzations  giving the courses  for material  I could  be  wrong but that's  the way i'm taking it  also there are  free  courses   boat-us  on line  course is free....

old man river

« Reply #96 on: Aug 13, 2019, 05:34 AM »
 I took this online course Aug. 10/2019
It is an  online course from  BOAT U.S. Foundation
It had 7 chapters including test after each  plus  final exam
The only cost was $13.00 to cover cost of processing the card
I asked the person on the phone about the exam satisfying
this new law in N.Y.  I was told yes it does.
I hope so
Ralph
ralph

joefish1

« Reply #97 on: Aug 13, 2019, 06:29 AM »
The question of taking or not taking the safety course is not the problem.  The problem is WHO is going to enforce it ?  95% of the  time the only time you will get asked if you have a card is if there is an accident and the Law gets involved.  As for the LAW patrolling the waters and doing random checks it is almost a non-happening event.

Mac Attack

« Reply #98 on: Aug 13, 2019, 07:03 AM »
You need that knowledge in Florida waters Mac! Even on Lake Erie. That's big water.

I'll be 75 in 2025. If I still have my boat, I promise to take the course.

Rg

I respectfully disagree "slightly" Bob.
You fish in the canal system as many of us here in NY do.
And the canal system also extends thru many of the Finger Lakes, etc.
There are markers and buoys that need to be interpreted and adhered to.
There are bridges and locks that have rules and procedures that need to followed.
Just because you have operated a boat for 50+ years, as I have, doesn't mean that you know any or all of this.

Bob - you were a d**n good electrician for a very long time.
But that didn't mean you couldn't benefit from additional training from time to time.
Things change.

As I said, I am not against the requirement here to get EVERY NY boater to take this course.
I have a problem in the fee to do so.
The Florida course I took was extensive, on line, AND IT WAS FREE.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #99 on: Aug 13, 2019, 07:11 AM »
I don't disagree with your perspective Mac. As I said, if I still have a boat in 2025, I'll take the course.

Here's a good read regarding boating accidents put out by the NYS Parks and Recreation Dept.

https://parks.ny.gov/recreation/boating/documents/RecreationalBoatingReport.pdf

I found the onwater enforcement statistics particularly interesting.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

trapper2000

« Reply #100 on: Aug 13, 2019, 10:10 AM »
I respectfully disagree "slightly" Bob.
You fish in the canal system as many of us here in NY do.
And the canal system also extends thru many of the Finger Lakes, etc.
There are markers and buoys that need to be interpreted and adhered to.
There are bridges and locks that have rules and procedures that need to followed.
Just because you have operated a boat for 50+ years, as I have, doesn't mean that you know any or all of this.

Bob - you were a d**n good electrician for a very long time.
But that didn't mean you couldn't benefit from additional training from time to time.
Things change.

As I said, I am not against the requirement here to get EVERY NY boater to take this course.
I have a problem in the fee to do so.
The Florida course I took was extensive, on line, AND IT WAS FREE.

is the  florida  course  accepted in new York????

Mac Attack

« Reply #101 on: Aug 13, 2019, 11:10 AM »

is the  florida  course  accepted in new York????

have not checked yet

yet

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #102 on: Aug 13, 2019, 02:56 PM »
Completed the BoatUS course today between 1000 and 1500.  Ran some errands, had lunch, watched it rain, took a nap, still had it all done in a few hours.  No big deal, it's free, when you're done they give you options to receive the certificate by email or for a fee they'll send you a card.  The email certificate says  on it that it's "temporary" and valid for 90 days.  They want you to buy their card.  Another option links you direct to NYDMV and they'll either send you a new drivers license with the boating safety icon on it ($12 if I remember right) or you have the option of receiving it the next time you renew your driver license.  Either way you get a confirmation number that it's in the NYDMV data base.  Couldn't be any easier or cost less.   Hardest part is that each page is timed and you have wait for the time to run out like 20 seconds before you go to the next page.
Bigger isn't always better but Size definitely Matters!

Mac Attack

« Reply #103 on: Aug 13, 2019, 03:53 PM »
Completed the BoatUS course today between 1000 and 1500.  Ran some errands, had lunch, watched it rain, took a nap, still had it all done in a few hours.  No big deal, it's free, when you're done they give you options to receive the certificate by email or for a fee they'll send you a card.  The email certificate says  on it that it's "temporary" and valid for 90 days.  They want you to buy their card.  Another option links you direct to NYDMV and they'll either send you a new drivers license with the boating safety icon on it ($12 if I remember right) or you have the option of receiving it the next time you renew your driver license.  Either way you get a confirmation number that it's in the NYDMV data base.  Couldn't be any easier or cost less.   Hardest part is that each page is timed and you have wait for the time to run out like 20 seconds before you go to the next page.

Good man Greg!
Yes, it could cost less.

;)

trapper2000

« Reply #104 on: Aug 13, 2019, 04:10 PM »
i'm  going to  do it  this week ...I  honestly  want to.i been in boats all my life  and  have  no idea  what bouys mean  what  other then  ones we  fish  by ....

and  who  will enforce it ...  the  Oswego  county sheriffs  have  checked  me  before  for jackets besides I rather  be all legal and  not  worry besides  I take my grandchildren  I  rather  be  up on  any  safety issues......

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.