FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Mac.............Fishfinder question for ya!.......and of course anyone else  (Read 2531 times)

terrieb80

Mac seams to be the most active on the topics I am searching so here is a question for ya Mac.

I have a dash mounted Garmin 160 Fishfinder in the boat I recently bought.  It has a transducer mounted in-haul (not a true thru haul).  Water temp is taken from a seperate external sensor.

Problem:First time I had the boat out it worked fine but I was only out for a test ride and did not use it long.  I have since had troubles each and every time out since.  Sometimes when I turn it on I get good depth readings and after a few minutes it stops detecting depth.  Occasionally it will come back up but very speratic.  Temp seams to be working correctly all the time.

Solution:I don know!!  Should I invest in a new transducer?  If so, go external, internal or true thru haul?  Does this sound like a Fishfinder problem?  Is there any other possible solution(s) that I may be missing?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated as it is getting very frustrating!!

Thanks in advance!

Terrie

vancouvercanuck

If your transducer is not horizontal to the water, it will not pick up a correct reading. Are you going fast when trying to use the fishfinder (up on plane). Or are you going a trolling speed?
"Surveys show that minesweaping draws the most diligent and precise individuals of any profession with employees averaging only one mistake per career." - Author Unknown

Coldfeet

• MFF Mod Team
Terrieb 80
 I believe what Mac is saying is true a lot of problems with transducers happen when you try to mount them where there is a lot of turbulence either from the bottom of the boat or from the motor. Try mounting the transducer away from any boat keel whether you have 1 or possibly 3 such as a tri-hull also stay away from the sides of the boat also. Any disrupting of air will give the unit a false or no reading on the screen while moving. Another thing to check is; are you deep enough with the transducer, make sure you have it under the boat deep enough to stay in the water while moving. Also check to make sure you tip the transducer so it points toward the front of the boat a little. By doing this the face will be in contact with the water while running at high speed. Any air bubbles that go across the transducers face will interfear with its reading. If you have to get someone to run the boat and sit in the back and watch where the turbulence is the least then adjust the transducer to that point and try again. Be aware that  putting it near the center near the motor will make thing just as bad for the cavatation of the motor creates a lot of air bubbles. If you have already done all this and it still doesn't work properly try drifting and if it still doesn't work check the connections at the unit to make sure that it is tight and locked in properly, if it is then I would say there is a problem with the transducer itself.
Cold Feet
Did you put the plug in the boat?

terrieb80

Good stuff guys......here is some additional info. (as I have yet to fix problem)

Transducer is in the very bottom back on flat surface.  It is on about the only flat surface available. (Ranger boat).

I have gone through all the connections (making sure they are not gummed up).  Speed and turbulance under the boat is not the issue as I tried it just drifting.

I am leaning towards the dirt or air under transducer theory.  I just don't have the guts to remove the transducer from the hull.  No guts no glory....thats my next step.  If I don't find anything...........either back to a Ranger dealer or I will have to purchase a new transducer.

Any advise on removing it from the hull?

rendo

Before you go thru the trouble of removing your transducer fine someone with the same unit and try your depthfinder using his transducer that will show if its the transducer or unit. also I would check for a differant transducer on ebay and mount it on the transom. That way you wouldnt have to worry about damage to hull
thinking  fishing!!
Be safe!Fish On!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.