FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Long Rod Chronicles  (Read 99805 times)

westernmas

Re: Long Rod Chronicles
« Reply #345 on: Jun 24, 2020, 09:56 AM »
I like his blog but I find nothing in that post that is relevant to trout at night.

When he discusses fly size.  "Big flies come to mind far too often when night fishing is brought up, regardless of species. Though low light conditions routinely make predator fish drop their guard and feed on larger prey, that's doesn't mean small to medium sized presentations won't fish better. Never underestimate a well tied and well presented Woolly Bugger for bass at night." 

He's written very similar things when writing about night fishing for trout.  Large Iso or Hex flies will only be about 1.5 inches long, max.  They typically struggle to get to a rock and shed their exoskin.  Another reason to slow down your retrieve as well.  A black size 6-8 weightless woolly bugger might be a better offering than a 2-3 inch mouse.

Like this one at the church pool Monday night.  Pics were tough with the fog on the water.

AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #346 on: Jun 24, 2020, 12:12 PM »
Gotcha.  Read Dom's stuff.  Goes into greater technical depth.  The interesting cross over is the big bugs.  Dom will sometimes swing large wet flies in tandem.  I haven't tried yet but it sounds amazing.

I've had a couple nights where mid sized muddlers get smoked near surface. All this talk I really need to go now! 

westernmas

« Reply #347 on: Jul 14, 2020, 08:17 AM »
Finally took out the long rod again yesterday evening.  First spot was well downstream of anywhere that I've tried before and the water was warm and low.  My buddy pulled out two tiny smallies so we moved upstream to colder water.  A bunch of old timers were tossing tiny bugs on the surface per usual, without much luck, PER USUAL, but I know they get bent out of shape if you start fishing subsurface near them so I went upstream to the faster broken water.  Fish were slashing on the surface and there was a lot of bug activity so I threw on a size 14 hornberg and proceed to smash on fish.  I landed 5, one small wild brown, while the rest were bows and lost about the same amount.  Felt great to get a bend in the long rod again, especially on the surface.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

zwiggles

« Reply #348 on: Jul 14, 2020, 08:21 AM »
Nice! Sounds like a blast

lowaccord66

« Reply #349 on: Jul 14, 2020, 12:55 PM »
I was going to go tonight but my g3's are leaking and my Freestones are too. 

westernmas

« Reply #350 on: Jul 15, 2020, 09:02 AM »
I was going to go tonight but my g3's are leaking and my Freestones are too.

IMO, for the price they should be bomb proof.  I've been using my Redington Sonic Pros lately (you've seen my SIMMS lol).  Half the price and I can't tell much of a difference.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #351 on: Jul 15, 2020, 12:49 PM »
IMO, for the price they should be bomb proof.  I've been using my Redington Sonic Pros lately (you've seen my SIMMS lol).  Half the price and I can't tell much of a difference.

Im buying the g4's and sending both the g3 and the Freestone back.  Good news is simms has taken care of me in the past and its particularly easy to get them to do it when you buy another pair.  Can't have enough waders. 

By the way...the "warmer" water section you fished fishes particularly well this time of year...just like it did last trip...but its my way or the highway!  Euro....

westernmas

« Reply #352 on: Jul 15, 2020, 02:47 PM »
By the way...the "warmer" water section you fished fishes particularly well this time of year...just like it did last trip...but its my way or the highway!  Euro....

Like Avon and Tarrifville?  We fished near the old bridge pilings and the water was moving so I'm sure trout are there but it was tough wading and water felt a tad warm for that time of day at least.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #353 on: Jul 15, 2020, 03:16 PM »
Like Avon and Tarrifville?  We fished near the old bridge pilings and the water was moving so I'm sure trout are there but it was tough wading and water felt a tad warm for that time of day at least.

Oh no.  I never go past Wood N Tap on RT 4.  Speaking of...check those riffles out the next time you pass....no one fishes them.

lowaccord66

« Reply #354 on: Aug 19, 2020, 06:50 AM »
Night time is the right time.

zwiggles

« Reply #355 on: Aug 19, 2020, 08:53 AM »
Nice fish! Do you usually nymph for them at night, or what’s your preferred technique? Depends on The water?

westernmas

« Reply #356 on: Aug 19, 2020, 08:59 AM »
Nice fish! Do you usually nymph for them at night, or what’s your preferred technique? Depends on The water?

I'll let Jon opine on his night tactics.  But I've heard that night fishing is best on super hot and humid days.  I'm sure last nights new moon might have helped too.

I was slinging eels in the canal last night and managed to pick up a couple 24-26 inch stripers but the ditch seems devoid of bigger stripers this year.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #357 on: Aug 19, 2020, 03:04 PM »
I was fishing a Sulphur hatch that usually cranks up right around dark.  I was tightlining as per usual running a #16 tungsten caddis on point and a #18 sulfur nymph up top.  I caught a few wild browns that I didn't take shots of because they fought for quite a while in warm water.  The bow gave up quickly. 

As evening fades into night I switch to streamers or a mouse pattern.  I haven't done it yet but swinging large wet flies works too!  This time of year I used to throw large Sulphur dries when I couldn't even see and catch them on top.  I lost interest once I started tightlining because I usually catch more than the dry fly guys. 

lowaccord66

« Reply #358 on: Aug 23, 2020, 09:23 AM »
Rainbows have been decent lately.  Catching a noticeable amount of small wild browns.

Chased some smallies this morning.  Nothing huge but caught a half dozen.  Have to love river smallies.  They put quite the bend in my 5w.

bogtrotter

« Reply #359 on: Aug 23, 2020, 11:08 AM »
Rainbows, browns and smallies . . . Oh my!

Sounds like a great multi-species day or two on the water.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.