FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Dace King  (Read 1807 times)

bogtrotter

Dace King
« on: Oct 10, 2020, 06:08 PM »
I fished the South Hoosic today from 12:30 PM to 4:30 PM.

The weather was sunny and surprisingly pleasant (about 68 degrees), with stream levels about normal, and bright fall foliage on display on the bank.

Wearing swim trunks, sport sandals, and a sweat shirt over a long-sleeved t-shirt, I started in Cheshire Center and walked downstream along the Ashuwillticook Rail Trail  all the way to ALADCO in Adams, and , dip into the river and wade for a bit at convenient points.

Over the course of my trek,  I caught about twenty (6" to 9") dace and one (7") brook trout in the "Jungle," a 10" brown just below the Cheshire Harbor dam and another 10" brown at Elm Rock.

Based on my experience during my past couple outings, I suspect the stream fishing season in my neck of the woods is winding down, and that pretty soon I will be lucky to eke out a brookie here or there on the smaller streams until next spring.

The non-fishing wildlife sighting of the day was a few wooly bears that I spotted on the Bike Trail along the way.

lowaccord66

Re: Dace King
« Reply #1 on: Oct 10, 2020, 07:16 PM »
Pike bait King!

bogtrotter

« Reply #2 on: Oct 11, 2020, 06:06 AM »
I've got to see if I can find some recipes for dace.

The local streams are loaded with them!

Steve H.

« Reply #3 on: Oct 12, 2020, 09:18 AM »
I've got to see if I can find some recipes for dace.

The local streams are loaded with them!

By dace, do you happen to mean fallfish?  (We call them 'chubs' up my way.)  If so, here's an idea: 

https://www.onthewater.com/life-gives-fallfish-make-fish-cakes#:~:text=Despite%20the%20%22trash%20fish%22%20reputation,table%20fare%20when%20prepared%20correctly.&text=They%20taste%20like%20a%20wet,Northeast's%20larger%20streams%20and%20rivers.
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

lowaccord66

« Reply #4 on: Oct 12, 2020, 02:12 PM »
I will remediate those dace Jim! 

bogtrotter

« Reply #5 on: Oct 12, 2020, 04:26 PM »
By dace, do you happen to mean fallfish?  (We call them 'chubs' up my way.) 

Yes, I've heard them called chubs or fallfish, but I grew up hearing them called dace, and that's what I'm gonna stick to calling them.

Thanks for the recipe suggestion.

scooper47

« Reply #6 on: Oct 15, 2020, 07:04 AM »
Back in the day, when my buddy and I caught fallfish to 16" in the CT, I used to fillet them and use them for cut bait from the beach in RI. They worked about as well as bunker but without the stink.

By the way, dace are the 1" minnow with the stripe down the side we used to catch in small stream.

PikeKing23

« Reply #7 on: Oct 15, 2020, 07:29 AM »
https://portal.ct.gov/DEEP/Fishing/Freshwater/Freshwater-Fishes-of-Connecticut/Minnows-and-Carps

The terms "Dace" and "Chub" are often used as generalized terms to describe many of the minnow species.  There actually are Dace and Chubs in CT, but not what most people call them.

westernmas

« Reply #8 on: Oct 15, 2020, 08:18 AM »
Back in the day, when my buddy and I caught fallfish to 16" in the CT, I used to fillet them and use them for cut bait from the beach in RI. They worked about as well as bunker but without the stink.

By the way, dace are the 1" minnow with the stripe down the side we used to catch in small stream.

Specifically those are black nosed dace, also a great streamer to toss around here.  There are many kinds of dace and chubs around these parts.  I follow a few micro fisherman on instaface who know the difference between them and specifically target different species to add to the "species count".
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #9 on: Oct 15, 2020, 01:14 PM »
Micro fishermen!!! 

westernmas

« Reply #10 on: Oct 15, 2020, 02:30 PM »
Micro fishermen!!!

If you thought a size 22 fly was small.  Look up tango hooks.  Ridiculous!
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.