FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Lowrance HDS-5 Gen2  (Read 7351 times)

Mac Attack

Lowrance HDS-5 Gen2
« on: Aug 17, 2015, 01:43 PM »
I learned to use this unit (the basics) on a Gen1 one my neighbor bought (on my recommendation) something like 5-6 years ago.
When I bought my Lund Rebel a few years back I installed the Gen2 on it and have used it since.
And I have been very happy with it.
But today I finally read the instructions.
 :whistling:
And I was able to figure a LOT of things I knew that it could do but I could never figure out on my own.
A really lot of things!!!
 :D
Lesson learned……………read the MF’en instructions DA!
My dad used to say, “When all else fails, read the instructions”.
Always listen to your parents.

This unit never ceases to amaze me.  Especially now that I’ve read the manual.

I wish there was a demo mode where I could bring it in the house, plug it into 12 VDC, and play with the unit, set it up a little further, etc.

Another thing that I learned was that a 5” diagonal screen is just not enough.  No where near enough.
As a matter of fact, I doubt the largest 12” unit they sell is enough.
Time to start building these things as a head unit that plugs into a 32” flat screen monitor.

When I retire in a few years, and move to Florida and get my boat down there, it will for sure have whatever the largest screen available.  That’s a fact.

For now, I’m really happy I took the time today to learn a few things.

Mac

Yachtzy

Re: Lowrance HDS-5 Gen2
« Reply #1 on: Aug 19, 2015, 08:52 AM »
They probably do have the 12 volt dc remote pack for it, but they probably charge a hundred and a half for it and call it the ice transducer kit! It's all about the $.

I got a good chuckle reading your post about halfway thru, my dad use to say the exact same thing all the time to me! His second favorite quote when I was acting out of line :"You like hospital food kid?" I miss those days.

Mac Attack

« Reply #2 on: Aug 19, 2015, 06:44 PM »
They probably do have the 12 volt dc remote pack for it, but they probably charge a hundred and a half for it and call it the ice transducer kit! It's all about the $.

Not what I meant
I have an iceducer kit for my x67 and m68c
I also have a couple 12 VDC power supplies that will get the unit running
What I'm speaking about is built in emulator software to allow you to sit at the kitchen table and play with it, trying different things, setups, pallets, etc.
To see what way you prefer it
Also to get more accustomed to doing things
Learn how to "go to" easier.
Etc

Lowrance used to have downloadable demo software that you could install on your computer that would emulate the unit.  It allowed you to learn how to run the device from your computer, not be forced to go out in the boat to learn the thing.

But it would be nice to take my HD5 into my house and run it to experiment
But you would need a bit off emulation software to simulate the fishfinder and GPS in the kitchen

Mac Attack

« Reply #3 on: Apr 17, 2016, 10:19 AM »

........................Another thing that I learned was that a 5” diagonal screen is just not enough.  No where near enough.
As a matter of fact, I doubt the largest 12” unit they sell is enough.
Time to start building these things as a head unit that plugs into a 32” flat screen monitor.

When I retire in a few years, and move to Florida and get my boat down there, it will for sure have whatever the largest screen available.  That’s a fact.

Mac

An update.

Recently, I bought a closeout HDS-8 2nd Gen from Cabellas.
I also bought the Navionics Plus chip/card.

The 8 seriously convinced me the 5 wasn't large enough.

And it also confirmed my statements made last August that 12" might not be enough.   :D

My recommendation to anyone contemplating a new Finder/GPS is to buy the largest screen they can possibly afford.
It helps a little on the sonar, but it really shines on the maps.
It allows you to really see far more intricacies.

Not sure the Navionics map chip I bought is worth the $170 I paid though.
The only reason for me to justify it were the Canadian maps it includes.
For me.
Others might feel the better details available on the inland lakes is a plus.
But we do most of our fishing in Lake Erie and Lake Ontario.
The Insight maps that came with the unit are just fine for what we do in my opinion.

Good luck.
Mac

Mac Attack

« Reply #4 on: Jul 18, 2016, 08:41 PM »
Another update.

I wish i had bought two of the HDS-8 at that price of $649.00

DOH!

:-\

Mac Attack

« Reply #5 on: Jul 26, 2016, 07:29 AM »
Another update.
I connected my HDS-5 to my HDS-8 with the Lowrance Ethernet cable.
Slick!
It allowed both units to share the one transducer and communicate between them.
Waypoints became the same on both units when saved on one.
Also allowed me to use the 8 for a large screen depthfinder while dedicating the 5 for GPS functions.
Or reverse.

2 weeks ago while fishing the Battle of the Points walleye derby the 5 froze up.
It was very hot.
The 8 was also hot but maybe not quite as much as the 5.
Had to unplug power to the 5 to clear it.
But it froze back up right away after I turned it back on.
So I kept it off and used the 8 for the rest of the day.

Got back to shore and the next day did some on shore testing.
First I ran both units without the Ethernet cable for a few hours and felt them to see how hot they got.
Warm, but not hot like day before.
I then connected the Ethernet cable and they both got warmer in an hour or so.
BTW, they were both directly exposed to the sun and was in the mid 80's and about 1-2pm in the afternoon.
Never got the 5 to lock up again and never quite got as hot as the day before.
But I wasn't there changing things, adjusting this, scrolling, etc. - generating work for the processors (aka - heat)

Got on line and sent an inquiry to Lowrance.
First thing they came back with was questioning if I had the latest software upgrades in both units, which I have.
Next item was the following response -

Based on your serial number, your unit is out of warranty.  You are however, still within the 5 year service plan which makes you able to send your unit in for testing.  If we test it and it fails our tests, you would qualify for a discounted replacement unit.

Your options for replacement are as follows:

HDS-5 Gen2 - $275
HDS-7 Gen2 - $375
HDS-7 Gen2 Touch - $449
HDS-7 Gen3 - $649

Please add to these prices a $12.50 shipping charge and applicable tax.  You may also need to purchase a “service pack”, which is a bundle that includes the bracket, knobs, power cable, and user manual for your unit.  The cost for the service pack is $50.

If this is something you wish to take advantage of, please call 800-628-4487 Monday –Friday 8:30am-4:45pm CST with your choice and physical address along with any other contact information you have not already provided and reference Incident #  ***PLEASE NOTE*** THE AVERAGE TURN AROUND TIME FOR THIS PROCESS IS 7-10 BUSINESS DAYS FROM THE TIME WE RECEIVE IT AT OUR TESTING FACILITY!!!!

I sent them another email asking if they had any more HDS-8's and the response was nope!.

So yesterday I called them and got the correct paperwork emailed to me and shipped the HDS-5 off to them via UPS.
I selected the HDS-7 Gen2
I vacillated back and forth between it and the Gen3.
I chose the Gen2 because it operates identical to my HDS-5 and HDS-8.
I didn't want to learn the Gen3 and then have 2 units that operate differently from each other.
Although the Gen3 was tempting at that price.
Further, I am only keeping the boat another 3-4 years before I sell it and move south and get my toon.
When that happens, I'll do my homework and get the latest and greatest - 2 units too!
I will for sure investigate Humminbird.

Can't wait to see what happens.
But for now, I'm back to a one unit guy.
But the unit is a very nice HDS-8.

Mac Attack

« Reply #6 on: Aug 07, 2016, 05:40 PM »
Update -
Lowrance said the HDS-5 I have been using for over 3 yrs tested bad.
Uhuh............ ::)

Anyway, the HDS-7 Gen2 I selected to replace it if it tested bad, and the service pack, have both shipped FedEx.
Looks like they are due to my house on Tuesday.
Awesome, because Friday I go on vacation out the lake place for a week.
It'll probably blow hard and/or rain all week.
 :D

Mac

Mac Attack

« Reply #7 on: Aug 09, 2016, 07:27 PM »
it arrived today

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.